Medical Questions

Started by Mom70x7, August 04, 2007, 03:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

Okay - another question - and I hope I get this right because I didn't completely understand it when I first heard it.

Eating sugar products will make you hot.
True? Not?  ???

Listening in on a conversation between two people:
Wow, it's hot in here.
What did you have for lunch?
Regular, but I had a pineapple shake for dessert.
Well, that's why you're hot.
What is?
The shake - when you eat that much sugar, your body temperature rises shortly afterwards.

Huh? ? ?  ::)  ???

The "blue" speaker continued on in that vein -
everyone knows if you eat too much sugar, you'll get hot.

I've never heard of that.

Diane Amberg

I don't know. I'd have to ask about that one myself. Feeling hot or flushed, and an actual temperature rise aren't necessarily the same thing. So take your temp., eat something sweet, wait about 30 min, and take your temp. again. See what happens.  Hot, spicy foods do make many people sweat. It's called gustatory perspiration.

kdfrawg

Depending on the precise chemical content of the carbohydrate, ingesting a lot of them will make you feel hot and will also make your temperature rise slightly, but not much. Sugar, of course is a very potent carbohydrate. Probably, many of us have felt warm after eating a large, carbohydrate-laden meal. There's a lot of calories in there and the body will occasionally work overtime, and very quickly, getting the excess out of the blood. That produces heat, which you can feel.

The studies that I have seen, however, say that it is more of a warm feeling than it is a rise in temperature, although there if often a small rise in the latter.

Judy Harder

Quote from: Teresa on August 05, 2007, 03:34:10 PM
You have the right idea on that one Kermit.. and being someone who has had to deal with that all your life.. then you know what you are talking about.

You are not just talking the talk.. you have actually walked the walk.. so those are wise words to live by.
We all could, at times, take heed.. :-\

I just wanted to add, that when I talk about me having survived cancer and my sons death and my other sons having nothing to do with me (his problem, not mine) I am just sharing my heartache and I know no one can do anything about it, it just gives me a way of coping with all of that.

I am doing well for the shape I am in. But, there are days when I relive each and every portion of each heartache..
I can be doing nothing important and one of those "kick-in-the-pants" emotions will start me thinking.

Most of the time, NOW.......I deal with it by remembering the good points.........I don't ever regret being a mother; I am cancer free and I did meet a lot of people who knew exactlly what I was going through and letting me vent or chat about it............: I also know it is my son who chose to go through the door he did. I gave him to God and when it is time I know David will speak to me again. If not, it is Gods will.

We can not go through life without heartache..........and illness and loss............I guess this is God's plan for us all to learn how to lean on HIM............without HIM I would have given up  a long time ago.
I know most on here are God believing and to those who aren't I am sorry......you don't have to read this........and if it offends others, I am sorry.......but, this is me, and I do not appologize for me. I am what I am.................SO THERE  oh heck.........-)~ this is me..

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Diane Amberg

And this is ME.  I have a soft shoulder and two BIG ears. You can share with me anytime. I can't fix much, but most women do need to talk things out. It really helps to just say stuff. Lots of men want to go "fix" things and don't get it when women need to just talk sometimes. You must have developed coping skills that worked for you when needed them, and they will be there if you need them again.

Judy Harder

Yes Maam!, that is so.

Even when I didn't realize it, HE was always there leading me through the rough spots.
sometimes he carried me, some times he would give me a shove......well ok, a kick in the pants....
and when the worst was easier (I won't say over) He would pat me on the back and tell
me "Good job"..........and all I could say was Thank God HE was here.......now I can share with
others, When they let me.

I guess this lesson in life is a gift from God. Isn't He Great!?
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Janet Harrington

God is Great, Judy.  Especially since He brought you into our lives.

flo

know what is really amazing?  That so many of us, including me, have had very trying times in our childhood.  Alcoholics, divorce, abuse, whatever, and not a one of us used that as an excuse to go out and kill someone and then have an attorney stand up and say "we had a disfunctional childhood" - good grief, my life is still disfunctional at times  :-\  and now I have just had a call from a girlfriend saying "come on up for lunch, and I'll send you home with some home grown tomatoes and all sorts of things" and so I am on my way.............. bye
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Mom70x7

Ok, here's another off-the-wall question. Don't laugh too much, but haven't you ever wondered . . .
(and this series of questions was inspired by the recent discussion on butter beans and venison)

The foods that cause people to "toot" -

• if everyone ate the same foods, would all the "toots" smell the same?
    • "        "        "        "        sound the same"
    • what causes the different sounds? the size of the intestines?
    • why do some people burp instead of "tooting"
    • how controllable are they? can people vary the sound on purpose

;D    :D    ???

kdfrawg

Yikes! This is too large a question to answer in here. However, I can point you in the right direction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/question46.htm
    http://www.gasmedic.com/wt_paper.htm

That should get you started. While thinking about this, I have decided that my proper direction is probably away from that casserole, or perhaps from the people eating it. The casserole itself sounds divine, but...

;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk