Howard City

Started by admin, October 28, 2004, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Howard City, as it was called in earlier times, was established in 1870 by a town company. The first business enterprise was undertaken by Oscar McFarland, who built a store in 1870. The second was a livery stable belonging to a Mr. McClure. The Howard House was built in 1871, by John Barnes and John Parrett. The third building was a saloon, and the fourth a printing office. The postoffice at Paw Paw creek was brought to Howard in 1871. The first school was taught in 1873 by W. S. Kent, with 19 pupils in attendance. An $8,000 building was erected in 1882. The first newspaper—the Howard County Messenger—was established by Kelley & Turner in 1872. In Oct., 1877, Howard was incorporated as a city of the third class.
Sources:

Teresa

Love the picture of the olden days ......
If anyone has any picture of the old Howard..or even the new Howard ***is there such a thing as "new" Howard?
Hmmmmm..(lost in thought). :-\
Anyway...back to the subject....
If you have any pictures and don't know how to post it... send it to Kjell by e-mail.
He will be glad to post it on here for you. ( He told me I could write that :P )
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Carl Harrod

I was looking around for any reference to K-11 and came upon this picture of Howard from 1907 in the WSU Library site.

DanCookson

Quote from: Kjell Heilevang on October 28, 2004, 12:43:35 PM

Howard City, as it was called in earlier times, was established in 1870 by a town company. The first business enterprise was undertaken by Oscar McFarland, who built a store in 1870. The second was a livery stable belonging to a Mr. McClure. The Howard House was built in 1871, by John Barnes and John Parrett. The third building was a saloon, and the fourth a printing office. The postoffice at Paw Paw creek was brought to Howard in 1871. The first school was taught in 1873 by W. S. Kent, with 19 pupils in attendance. An $8,000 building was erected in 1882. The first newspaper—the Howard County Messenger—was established by Kelley & Turner in 1872. In Oct., 1877, Howard was incorporated as a city of the third class.
Sources:

YOU MEAN IT TOOK 3 BUILDINGS BEFORE WE GOT A SALOON??

How disguisting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk