Pickles

Started by Anettia, May 02, 2008, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anettia

Good Morning,
I have not been on here for a very long time, so I am not up on what has been going on in Howard, but I have a question.  My Grandmother, Mae Riggs, use to make some pickles that she called Lime Pickles. They were the best I have ever had. Now with Grandma, Mom and Dad gone, I don't really know who to ask about the recipe. So I thought maybe someone in Howard may know about them or have the recipe that they can pass on to me. If anyone can help me find a recipe for them I would greatly appreciate it. I have looked in old cookbooks and can't find anything.  Thanks for any help!
Anettia
"The will to win means nothing if you haven't the will to prepare."

Jo McDonald

This miracle called "the internet" is just that.  I go in and type in the kind of recipe that I want and WALLA  there it is.  Try that, and if not, I am very sure that there will be lots of "good cooks" posting their favorite lime pickle recipes for you to make and enjoy.
  Jo 
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Anettia

Thanks Jo! Actually you are one of the ones I thought of first that may have the recipe. Do you know what pickles I am talking about? They were soooooo good! I will look and see what I can find. Thanks again!
Anettia

Bonnie M.

Anettia, I wouldn't have the recipe that your grandmother had, but here's an old recipe that I have used, and the pickles were really good:

LIME PICKLES
7 lbs. cucumbers                                                     1 tsp. celery seed
2 cups household lime                                              7 whole cloves
2 gallons water                                                       1 Tbsp. mixed pickling spices
2 quarts vinegar                                                      1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 lbs. sugar

Slice cucumbers and cover with solution of two cups of household lime in two galllons water.  Soak 24 hours, then rinse well.  Cover with clear water and soak three hours.  Drain, cover with rest of ingredients, mixed well.  Let stand overnight.  The next morning, boil in mixture for 35 minutes, then place in jars with same liquid.  Makes nine pints.

I'm pretty sure that I used some green food coloring, to make the pickles as green as you might like them.  Just gives them some good color.

(Do you think this sounds anything like the recipe you remember?)
Bonnie

Anettia

YES! Thank You Bonnie! I remember them being VERY green at times and I remember that it seemed to take forever with all the soaking. They were very crisp also. Thank you Very Much!
Anettia

Diane Amberg

I used to make lime water pickles too...very crunchy.

greatguns

I have a recipe for Lime pickles tha tmy Aunt Mary Ellen Edwards from Elk Falls gave me and they are wonderful and very crisp.  She told me the trick to making them crisp was to rinse them one more time after you thought they were well rinsed and to pat them dry before proceeding to the next step.  This has always worked well for me.

Teresa

I am one heck of a good cook, baker and canner etc.. but I make the worst pickles that you have ever put in your mouth. I have tried to make them 3 times and failed miserably every time. I don't know what I do, but whatever it is.. it isn't right.  :P
Yuck! They are not crisp.. they bend in the middle and they are soft. just awful. I will never make them again ..  :'(
;D ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Lookatmeknow!!

Mike Mitchell makes the best, and I do mean best, dill pickles that I have ever tasted.  They are crisp and so so much better than store bought anyday!!!  I think that he likes to keep the recipe a secret though.  Have you tasted them Teresa?  He even makes some of them spicy.  They are just wonderful!!! :laugh: :laugh:
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Teresa

Yes I have.,
He brings some in to Mark and Derek every year. Keeps them stocked in the spicy kind.
I love the regular ones he makes and you are right.. They are the best I have ever eaten.
He is awesome at making some of his "secret stuff".
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk