Herbal Cold Treatments

Started by Teresa, March 13, 2008, 12:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Since Angie ask about natural remedy's for sickness and colds/flu.. I thought it would be a good time to post a little on that.
There is so much I could get into , but it could go on and on and on.. so I have gone through my stuff and tried to narrow it down to the basics and not go overboard on details and herbs that no one ( including myself ) rarely hears about or can't find.
Flo was right when she said elderberry and I have that in my information.

While there is no "cure for the common cold", herbal treatments are really becoming more popular as a safe and effective preventative measure and treatment of symptoms for the common cold.

Echinacea is the most popular herbal remedy for colds, because it is  inexpensive, it is  available and echinacea side effects are minimal. People commonly use echinacea tea, tablets, and liquid drops to relieve symptoms.

Herbal Formulas containing chrysanthemum flowers, mulberry leaf, mint, peppermint, honeysuckle, forsythia buds, burdock seed, and licorice are all wonderful for a cold.

There are more than 3000 different varieties of herbs and herbal combinations available today and it can seem overwhelming and confusing trying to figure out what to take for the common cold relief. Some of the most popular treatments can be made from home. To simplify the process of categorizing herbal remedies for cold treatments, I  will break it down into three main categories:

Fever Reducers & Anti-Virals
Sore Throat, Cough Relief & Expectorants
Prevention & Immune System Boosters

Fever Reducers & Anti Virals

Soothing Herbal Bath
Take a bath with chamomile,  rosemary, and/ or lavender if you are restless and irritable.
Use comfortably warm water and soak as long as you like.

Basil Tea
use fresh or dried herbs. This tea may encourage a slight sweat and help to reduce fever.
Ground cloves may also be used for flavor and fever reduction.

Elderberry
Reduces duration and severity of colds. Take 500 milligrams three times a day.

Garlic reduces duration and severity of colds. Use any form- pills or tablets, oil rubbed on the skin, (not a romantic smell but will keep away the vampires ;D) or whole garlic roasted or cooked in other foods.
If you choose pills take three of them, three times a day.

Ginger
Powerful antiviral agent, specifically effective against the most common family of cold viruses, the rhino-viruses. Also helps relieve cold symptoms such as pain and fever, and acts as a cough suppressant and mild sedative.

Elderberry Extract reduces duration and severity of colds. Take 500 milligrams twice a day.

Catmint and/or Elderflower...  take infusions to induce sweating and reduce fever.

Forsythia and Honeysuckle
These 2 plants have antiviral benefits. Mix honeysuckle and forsythia with lemon balm tea (lemon balm is also an antiviral)
Take in the evening before going to sleep.

Sore Throat, Cough Relief & Expectorants

Goldenseal soothes inflamed mucous membranes and relives swelling in the throat.
Contains the antibiotic berberine, which can help prevent bacterial infections.

Boneset and Sage breaks up congestion and reduces fever.
Take a cup of sage and boneset tea up to three times daily for three to five days.

Herbal Milk : add 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon and ginger to 1 cup of scalded milk.
Add 1 tablespoon of honey and drink while hot for best results.

Chamomile Tea ...drink daily as needed to help sooth and relax.

Hyssop Tea...regular use may prevent cold and infection.

Mullein Flower Tea:
soothes inflamed mucous membranes and relives swelling in the throat. Relieves cough. Add a small handful of the mullein flowers to 1 pint of boiling water. Allow to steep 15 minutes. Strain and sweeten with honey.

Dried Mustard
add 1/2 pound of dried mustard powder to 2 quarts of boiling water and boil for 10 minutes.
Excellent for respiratory problems.

Onion is used as an antiviral. Steep raw onion slices overnight in honey. Take the resulting mixture at intervals like a cough syrup. Also eat plenty of onions, and add it to your food when you have a cold.

Aniseed  is used as an expectorant and an antiviral. Make a tea by steeping one to two teaspoons of crushed aniseed in a cup or two of boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain and add honey.

Marsh Mallow and Other Mallows (okra and roselle) is used to relieve cough, sore throat, and respiratory problems.
Soothes inflamed mucous membranes. Try adding a generous amount of okra to chicken soup.

Seneca Snakeroot- is used as an expectorant and for upper respiratory problems.
Make a tea, use about one teaspoon per cup of boiling water.

Slippery Elm bark is used for relief of cough and sore throat and also contains soothing mucilage. Not to take too much as it also has a laxative effect.

Watercress- Make a tea by using two to three teaspoons of dry watercress to treat runny nose and cough. Eat an ounce of fresh watercress in a salad.

Elderflowers, Peppermint and Hyssop...
make a herbal tea with equal amounts of each herb, only take small doses of hyssop, no more than 1-2 grams three times a day.

Inhalations of Chamomile, Eucalyptus or Thyme soothes inflamed mucous membranes.
Add oil to a hot bath, or put in a sink or a bowl of hot water.. cover your head with a towel and breath.
Wonderful for your sinuses.

Horsetail ..Inhalations soothes inflamed sinus membranes

Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Inhalations kills bacteria and soothes inflamed sinuses.

Currently, herbal cold remedies are easily accessible and you can get them without a prescription. They can be found in most health food stores, in supermarket pharmacies, most national chain pharmacies, discount stores, nutrition and dietary centers,  Chinese or Asian healing centers, by mail order, and of course online over the internet.

And also remember.. it does take a little longer for them to work. The best thing to do is to set yourself up on an daily herbal and vitamin  plan and from experience, I can tell you that you will have fewer colds and sickness than when you didn't take them.
If you all thought this was too long or I need to change the way I try to get information across, please tell me. I want this board to be informative and easy to read and understand.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

MarineMom

Always remember if you are taking prescription meds to check with your pharmacist before taking any herbal remedies some combinations of prescriptions and herbals can be very uncomfortable and/or deadly

Wilma

I have had excessive sinus drainage for several days now.  I am using honey sweetened tea with lemon, hot, of course.  It works fairly well but doesn't do anything for the irritation of the throat.  I don't think I have heard of the onion and honey combination, but I used to eat a bread and butter and sliced onion sandwich (heavy on the butter and onion) when I was getting a cold and it helped tremendously.  Never could get the girls to try it.

Roma Jean Turner

For the throat mix some Cider Vineger with water.  Gargle as low in the throat as long as you can then swallow.  I don't have an exact measurement.  You want enough cider vinegar to really taste it but not enough to gag  :)  Seriously, this is what I use and recommend all the time. It will change the pH of the throat and of the gut.  I've found it to be very effective for soothing the throat.  Sometimes I have to make myself do it but I'm always glad I did.

Teresa

Crunch up 2 aspirin and add it to the vinegar/water solution. ( warm) gargle.. do not drink.

frawin

Teresa

That works too.. Mama always had warm salt water with 2 aspirins dissolved. I hate to gargle, cause invariably I would swallow some. :P

Ole Granny

WE always used warm salt water.  Cheap and works.  I have passed it down to my daughters and grandchildren.  No one really likes it but if the pain is severe enough, they'll try it.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk