Turkey Road just came across scanner

Started by Devyn-Leann, March 11, 2008, 03:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

That was Sarah.  I have e-mailed her to check the posting.  Thanks for remembering that.

sixdogsmom

i hope they can be reunited if indeed her dog was there. Fingers are crossed here. :-\ :-\
Edie

Sarah

Yes it was me that had the missing Pyrnees that we never found.  I know who the people are on Turkey road.  We had a run it with them a few years back.  He is head of that swap meet that runs over by Leon and he also helps run the auction over in Yates Center.  We went over there once to buy a bunny for my daughter and they had dead chickens laying everywhere and dead bunnies in the pens.  Everything was a mess!!  Yes they did have a monkey living in the house.  Mean ole thing and they had all those kids there too.  Their horses were very thin at that time with almost no pasture.  We had no dealings with them after that and when we heard the story on the news, I figured it was them.

Does anyone know how I can get ahold of someone to see if one of the Pyrnees is our sweet Yetti?  He's been missing for a long time and I know the two boys that were neighbors of theirs and helped them all the time came by here a lot and I want to make sure they didn't take our dog.  If anyone can help me find out if one of those is my dog or who I might call, please let me know.

I can say that the conditions that they kept their animals was awful!!  I'm glad to see their "operation" finally folded.

DolphinsLEM

This is just so sick, that someone would harm an animal.  Pets in my family have always been part of the family; they are members of our family and are treated with respect.  We would never want harm to occur to our pets and if one of them would get sick or hurt it was awful.  This is what my parents have taught me and I am teaching Cody.  Just last May one of our cats got really sick and we finally had to put her down (she was not doing well), I cried and cried trying to decide what was best for her.  I still cry to this day when I think of her (I'm crying right now).  I hate to say that I have some feelings of hatred towards these people for what they did to those poor animals and I don't want to feel that way towards others but they must of have had awful feelings towards their pets to treat them the way they did.  
I just will say what comes around, goes around.

Sarah

We called the Elk County Sheriff.  We're supposed to call back tomorrow to find out if any of them are our Pyrnees dog. 

Thank you Wilma for e-mailing me and letting me know!  :)

Teresa

I hope you find that it is your dog.. so you can get him back and start the healing of TLC... :angel:
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Devyn-Leann

Sarah, the dogs are being kept at Dr. Black's vet clinic in Howard.

It, makes me sick as well. To know that there are people who don't care about the welfare of their animals, kind of makes you wonder about their kids. I hope they are found guilty on all 10 counts and have to do jail time. Not that they'll learn, because it seems people like that never do. What really made me cry was what the girls at the vet clinic told me about the horses, they could barely stand up because they were so starved. I have a huge heart and I just melt at the sight of horses. I'll never understand how anyone could do this to a poor defenseless animal.  :-\

Tobina+1

OK, sorry, I'm going to get on a soapbox here... Many of you may not know that PETA and other animal rights organizations have succeeded in getting a law passed that CLOSED all of the horse slaughter plants in the US.  Yes, horse slaughter sounds in-humane, but these horse plants processed hundreds of thousands of horses a year that were dangerous animals, old animals that need to be put down, etc.  In fact, horse slaughter was probably MORE humane than the conditions that these type of animals are in today!  For example, there may have been an animal "hoarding" issue with this guy, but if he had no where to sell his old horses or were unable to afford to feed them, how was he supposed to get rid of them?  I'M NOT CONDONING WHAT THIS GUY DID!!!  But I just want everyone to be aware that issues such as shutting down horse slaughter plants really negatively affects the entire animal industry... oh, but it sure makes those animal lovers "feel better".  I don't see these poeple lined up to take any of these horses and feed them and pamper them in their backyards.  I am quite certain that we'll see more and more of these types of situations now that the plants have closed.  What else can people do with old horses?  Remember, horses are like old people; there comes a certain time in their life that they start to lose teeth, unable to take in enough nutritions feed to feed their bodies, and will eventually starve (even in a pasture full of hay and grass... I've not seem many horses with dentures).  At least horse plants were able to put these animals out of their misery humanely.
AGAIN, I"M NOT SUPPORTING THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION AT ALL!!!  I just thought it was a good time to let everyone know how "feel good" animal rights efforts (like closing horse plants) actually negatively affects the well-being of the animals they were aiming to save!  It is important to know and understand the full story and both sides of it and think about Animal WELFARE, rather than just Animal RIGHTS. 
As for this guy?  Maybe they should lock him back on his ranch/house and don't feed him!  Or better yet, make him scoop poop at Dr. Black's to help pay for the vet bills that are piling up...

OK, whew.  Off my soapbox now.  Animal rights and Animal welfare tend to heat me up good.   >:(

Devyn-Leann

Tobina, I agree...Those boarding fees at the clinic are going to be sky high.

We have 2 very, very old horses. They just graze the pasture and eat all day. They are out of commission. They've done their jobs and have served their purpose, but we continue to nurture them. We had one die a few years ago, of old age. He was in very good health, it was just his time. So until our 2 old men (LOL, horses) reach their last day, they'll be grazing in the pasture along the road...Enjoying their lazy days.

Lookatmeknow!!

Well, this is one thing that I didn't know that they closed all the Horse Slaughter plants down.  But were the horses old or just not taken care of.  I think down in Caney, the Zoo Park thing that they have will take animals that are dead like that to feed to their Lions and tigers.  Not sure exactly, but Jeff and I was just talking about if they take dead cattle.  At one time, Bill Perkins has a guy who comes down from Caney area, to help work cattle, and he told Jeff if you call them, they might even come and get them.  I know that this sounds bad, but if they are dead from natural causes why not send them down there?  But we have a cow, she has a really bad eye.  There is nothing that you can do for it.  I want to tell you myself, I couldn't believe that it was so bad.  But we still feed her and give her water, hay, and grain.  We take care of her just like all the other animals on the farm.  She is still alive, and we really can't do anything with her.  We just can't not feed and take care of her.  That would be inhuman of us. 

I just am not sure if those animals were old or just neglected.  I can't understand, why didn't he try to sell them before it got to this point.  I mean, from what I understand, Llammas are not to cheap.  They might be a little more now, but still.  If you don't have the money to feed them, get rid of them even give them away.  I am sure that if he posted flyers that someone would have taken some of the animals.  We have talked about trying to adopt a couple of the animals from this situation.  I just can't say enough how this has gotten under my skin.  I am not a die hard animal lover like some of you are out there, I do love my animals though.  I do believe that they should be treated with respect and loved just like one of the family, too.  I just can't I MEAN CAN'T STAND WHAT HAPPENED TO THESE ANIMALS!! 

Tobina as for PETA, I am not a big fan of organizations like this one.  Not that I don't believe in animal rights, it is just that along with you what are people to do with old horses like you explained.  Like Devyn said, I guess just doing your part and feeding them and making them comfortable is all that you can do.  I don't know that I would sell my horses to a slaughter plant anyways.  I am pretty attached to them.  Ok, I am getting on a soapbox I 'd better go for now!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk