Welcome to the Table of Mother Earth

Started by Teresa, March 03, 2008, 10:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Headaches.. the number one common problem in people:

There are several types of headaches..
Stress headaches
Headaches that come from your back and your neck being out of alignment.
Migraines..which are totally  different than stress headaches and the headaches from the neck and back being out of whack

While I am on migraine headaches I will tell you a bit more.

When most people think of migraine, they might think only about taking over the counter painkillers. But these painkillers are not always the best answer for migraine, and may actually end up doing more harm than good. In fact, many types of migraine prevention don't involve drugs at all! 

This is the one nobody really wants to hear. We would all love to get rid of migraine without making other changes to our daily lives. Still, this is one of the most powerful migraine preventatives that there is, and so we can't ignore it. These things are:
Getting proper exercise ....
Good posture, and avoiding a lot of repetitive motion or standing/sitting for long periods of time ...
Eating a well balanced, low fat diet, low in processed foods and high on whole grains, fruits and vegetables ...
Smoking (a big problem  and too much alcohol...

Triggers are those things that start the migraine chain reaction. It's believed by some that it actually takes a combination of things to really get a migraine going, which may be why a certain trigger usually causes a migraine, but not always. Triggers are different for everyone, and they can include things like.. what you didn't want to hear about...that I'm going to tell you anyway.. ;D

Stress is considered by some to be a trigger, though the direct link to migraine has been questioned. Still, it does seem to lower your resistance. The other debate is whether or not you should actually avoid triggers. Does it really help, or does it simply lower your resistance in the future? Well, many people have found that cutting a trigger out of their lives means a significant improvement.

Red wine and other alcoholic drinks are notorious headache triggers. But there are other things that can also trigger this painful times.
Dozens of foods can cause migraines and other headaches, but actually most people are only bothered by a few.
if you have SEVERE migraines, and you might think that your headaches are food related, you might want to try this.

For a couple weeks,  eliminate these foods from your diet.
Then, after a 2 week period.. resume eating ONE food form the prohibited list each week. If you experience no change, the food is NOT a headache trigger for you. If, on the other hand, your headaches return or worsen, that food is probably a trigger and should be permanently taken out of your diet.

Foods to Avoid:
All alcoholic beverages including cooking sherry.
All cheeses except for.. American, ricotta, cottage, Velvetta and cream cheese.
Food that has MSG in it.. including those found in canned soup.
All seeds and nuts.
All chocolate, carob and licorice.
Canned and cured meat ( bacon, ham, salami, pepperoni, hot dogs ..( all the good stuff  :) )
Pickles, chili peppers and olives
Non organic dried fruits.. like raisins, dates and apricots.
Soy sauce, olive oil and vinegar  ( except for white and cider)
Mustard, ketchup, mayo.
All beans..including Lima, string, garbanzo and lentils.
Whole milk, sour cream, buttermilk, whipped cream and ice cream ..( I know I know.. I just HAD to add the last one.. sorry :-[ )

Food to  limit: ( 1/2 cup per day)..until you are sure they are not triggers:
Tomatoes & onions
oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, lemons, and limes
bananas ( 1/2 per day)
skim milk yogurt
Caffeinated drinks ( 16 oz per day)

In women, hormonal changes, such as menstruation, pregnancy and changes due to HRT can really effect the system.
Changes in your daily schedule(especially sleeping patterns)
Weather (especially changes in barometric pressure)
Smells or fumes (such as fresh pain, perfume and cleaning supplies)

I am a firm believer in regular chiropractic treatment which is excellent headache and migraine prevention.
Massage and active release therapy are all helpful for some people for all kinds of chronic pain.

Herbs and supplements are a common treatment, some very well proven over time.
One of the most used is the herb feverfew, when taken regularly has helped many people.
Other herbs include peppermint, and butterbur extract.

Some have had good luck with taking lemon rind and rubbing it on your temples, then tie a cloth on your head.  I have never used this for a headache, but I have heard it works very good.

There are other food and supplement related treatments, such as magnesium supplements,
DLPA, coenzyme Q10 and melatonin. ( which is also the sleep aid)

I have information on pressure points and massage too, but it is hard to post it in words.

Some of you may be wondering why you should go to all this trouble. Why not just pop a painkiller in your mouth when a migraine attack hits?

For some people, migraine prevention (in particular the drug options) may not be needed.
If your migraine attacks are rare or mild, or an abortive drug (taken when the attack starts) is very effective, it may not be worth it.

However... if the migraine is interfering with your life in a big way, it would be wise to start investigating options. I get clients all the time who are migraine sufferers and it is a huge problem with them and keeps them form having a full life of activities.

By trying all the ideas above...many people have gone from several attacks a month to few or none. What a difference that would make! Also, there is growing evidence that migraine attacks may not just be a temporary inconvenience - they may be doing lasting damage to your body. And that's something you don't want to ignore.

If you've tried migraine prevention before and haven't had success, don't give up! There are more and more options out there. Many people find that just a slight change, a different drug, or a different combination can make all the difference.

anyway.. my fingers are hoarse and exhausted form typing..so  that is all for now.. and I hope this information helps someone:-*
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

I've had lots of people as me if herbal supplements safe for children?

Many herbal supplements aren't just safe for children, they can also help them be healthier -- and even smarter -- than they might be without them.
from the immune-boosting effects of Echinacea to the intelligence-enhancing benefits of Bacopa...herbs aer great for kids.

Of course, I must remind you that whenever you're giving children medicine of any kind -- even something completely natural -- it's important to consider dosage.
Children differ from adults in their metabolism of herbs, they have lower body weights, and they also have developing nervous and immune systems that make them more sensitive.

The best way  and easiest way for figuring out doses of herbal supplements for children....is:
Divide the child's weight in pounds by 150 to determine the fraction of the adult dose that he should take.
For example, if a child weighs 50 pounds, he should be given 1/3 of the adult dose.

But before starting your child on any new supplement, you should always check with a Dr or herbalist who is skilled and knowledgeable in herbal medicine and who can verify the appropriate dose and make sure that the herb won't interact with any other medications or supplements he or she might already be taking.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flo

I have a question that I'm sure some of you can answer for me.  What natural product will eliminate fluid retention?  In my mind, I'm thinking apple cider vinegar, but not sure.  I have not had this problem until the last couple weeks and now by the end of the day my ankles completely disappear and my rings are so tight on my fingers they almost hurt.  Any suggestions?
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Bonnie M.

This is probably more information than you wanted to see:

Home Remedies from the Counter

Bananas. Go ape and grab a few bananas. Slice 'em on your cereal, make a smoothie, or just peel and eat them plain. Bananas contain high amounts of potassium, which helps eliminate fluid retention. Not a banana fan? Gobble down a handful of raisins instead.

Home Remedies from the Freezer

Ice. When ankles puff up, applying an ice pack can help bring them back to normal size. Place ice cubes in a plastic bag with a zipper seal, wrap a light towel around the bag, and apply for five to ten minutes. A bag of frozen veggies also works well. In summertime, dip legs (ankle-deep) into a bath of ice water. People who have diabetes or poor circulation in their feet should skip the ice bath, however, unless directed to use it by their physician.

Home Remedies from the Refrigerator

Cabbage. A natural diuretic, cabbage can be added to salads or sandwiches. Enjoy a side of coleslaw for lunch.

Cranberry juice. Another natural diuretic. Drink it straight from the bottle.

Yogurt. Too many rich treats will cause stomachs to bloat. If you've overindulged and are feeling the effects, treat your stomach to a cup of plain, low-fat yogurt that contains active cultures. The active cultures aid in digestion and increase the good bacteria in the gut.

Home Remedies from the Sink

Water. When you feel waterlogged, guzzling a glass of H2O might be the last thing on your mind. But it may be the best thing for you. Water flushes out the system better than anything else and can reduce premenstrual bloating. Drink 8 to 10 glasses a day; more when you exercise. (NOTE: This advice is only for PMS bloating. If your water retention is caused by any other medical condition, be sure to ask your doctor before drinking extra water -- it may not be good for you.)

Home Remedies from the Supplement Shelf

Vitamins A and C. When you feel like a balloon, try to increase your intake of vitamins A and C, both of which help diminish the fragility of capillaries and decrease water retention.

Do's and Don'ts

DO lift your legs! Ankles can swell like sourdough bread, thanks to water retention. Luckily, avoiding the baguette look just takes a little movement. Exercises that work the calf muscles help move blood and excess fluid out of the ankle area. Regularly walking, running, bicycling, and aerobic dancing can work wonders. If ankles swell while seated at work, try lifting your legs up parallel to the floor every few minutes. During breaks, walk around the office or up the stairs. Spend a portion of the lunch hour on your feet, exercising.

DO keep your feet up. While resting, reading, or watching television, prop a pillow under those tootsies. A little help from gravity can go a long way in draining fluid from swollen limbs.

DO cross off the notion that crossing your legs is the way to sit. Doing so limits the blood flow through the thigh veins, in turn aggravating the swelling in the lower legs.

DO toss out tight clothing. If you have to squeeze into your pants, you can be guaranteed that pressure is being placed on your upper thighs and waist, in turn restricting the removal of fluids from the lower legs.

DO limit alcohol intake.

DON'T smoke.

DO stay away from junk food. Not only is it bad for you, but the excess salt tips the scales.

DO eat 6 small meals a day, rather than 3 big ones.
Bonnie

flo

pam

yeah ma cider vinegar works, so do dandelions, parsley and celery seed.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

flo

:-\ well, apple cider vinegar I can tolerate, use a lot of celery seed in cooking, parsley I only see in restaurants to make the plate look pretty AND dandelions?? I usually chop them up or spray them with weed killer  ;D but I don't eat 'em.  Thanks for your input, dear.

pam

Lol, I eat dandelion greens in salad cause they are good for your liver and blood! Get the young ones and they taste like spinach! Chewin parsley gives you fresh breath too:)
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

flo

;D dandelions taste like spinach? not chicken?

pam

William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk