looking for information on the author, Ruth Smith

Started by Audrey.Thompson, November 15, 2007, 09:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I think Goodwin sold out soon after Smith left but the store kept the Smith and Goodwin name until some years later when it became the Hebb Family Store
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

patyrn

My dad was Cecil Hebb,  and he and Nina Garrett bought into the Smith & Goodwin store, but I'm not at all sure actually when they became the owners.  They kept the store running under the Smith & Goodwin name until 1966.  At that time, Nina retired and my dad and mom established Hebb's Family Store on a smaller scale across the street in the building north of Hottinger's that used to be a cleaner shop.  The Production Credit took over the spot where Hottinger's was and wanted to buy the adjoining property north, so my parents sold to them and moved across the street where the old Allen's Drug Store had been.  My dad died in 1973, and mother kept Hebb's Family Store in operation until her retirement in 1979. 

patyrn

The house in question at the corner of Randolph and Pennsylvania was later the home to Mrs. Forsyth. the mother of Allen Forsyth. I don't know where the Smiths relocated.   

Audrey.Thompson

Dear Carl and others,

I am thrilled to have all these further details, and the map!  Thank you so much.  Is the Smith house still standing?  Is the one-room library still there?  I would love to see a picture of them if anyone has one.

Ruth Smith taught at a school for young black women in the south, and she accepted segregation with them, so that she rode in the black train car and otherwise refused to accept white privileges.  For this and other reasons she was seen as a race traitor in the south, so probably that is what your father was referring to when he said that "she had 'more guts than good sense' to do what she did in the South."

I live in Utah but my parents still live in central Illinois, where I'm from, so maybe one of these days I'll take a road trip through Howard.  It would be great to see where Ruth Smith is from.  If I were to fly in, what would be the nearest airport?

I got to wondering today whether anyone might have an old yearbook from grade school or high school or college that Ruth Smith would be featured in.  Would the Howard library have copies of yearbooks?  I keep meaning to call them, but my timing is always off.  Anyway, if anyone has a yearbook with Ruth Smith's picture in it, I would love to know about it!

One more thing -- Carl, when you say that "it was the biggest literary event ever in Howard," do you (or others) remember any specifics about celebrations or conversations or newspaper coverage?

Thanks again, so much, to everyone for all this information.  I feel very lucky, as I don't know any other way that I would have gotten anything like this detail!  Best, Audrey

W. Gray

White Man's Burden A Personal Testament, Vanguard Press, N.Y., published in 1946 is actually Ruth Smith's second book rather than first. Vanguard is now part of Random House.

Her first book was The Tree of Life, Viking Press, N.Y., published in 1942. The tenth printing came in 1966.

The Tree of Life is a 500-page compilation of writings from other books on several world religions. She is the editor rather than the author. She includes American Indian; Norse, Hindu; Buddhist; Confucianist; Taoist; Egyptian; Babylonia; Greek; Zoroastrian; Hebrew and Christian—Old Testament; Christian—New Testament; and Mohammedan Religions.

The only way I can relate my copy to our Ruth Smith is in the Acknowledgments section in which she thanks Miss Josephine Smith for reading the manuscript. Josephine was her sister's name and according to the Elk County history book was eight years her junior. Apparently, Josephine married rather late in life and according to a College of Emporia graduate wound up marrying her cousin.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Audrey.Thompson

W. Gray -- I do think that she is the author of both, but you are right that it is hard to know for sure.  I love your detection work in making the connection to her sister!  It is clear from White Man's Burden that she is a very religious woman open to learning from many others, so I was not surprised to see that she had (probably) edited Tree of Life (which I had not realized until your earlier post -- thank you!).  My husband found me a signed copy of The Tree of Life -- it is inscribed to "Evelyn," but there is no indication who Evelyn might be.

I did contact someone at the Howard library and also the chair of the Benson Historical Museum, but neither had ever heard of Ruth Smith, so it is thrilling to me that there are folks on the forum who knew her or knew of her and others who are so helpful in tracking down all these details.  Thank you!

Audrey

W. Gray

It does not surprise me those folks had not heard of Ruth Smith.

I do not think anyone on this forum knew of her unless it was Carl. Or, if they did, no one was saying.

I was living in Howard at the 1946 publication of White Man's Burden but was just a small child.

The editor and writers of the Elk County history book written in the late 1970s apparently had not heard of her either.

As far as I can tell, she is not mentioned in the main historical narrative and receives only a fleeting mention in the George Smith family history submission provided by someone connected to the family.

That mention says she wrote two books and gives the title of each.

Leonardcrl

Quote from: W. Gray on December 11, 2007, 09:15:50 PM
It does not surprise me those folks had not heard of Ruth Smith.
I do not think anyone on this forum knew of her unless it was Carl. Or, if they did, no one was saying.

I believe the only ones who might have known about Ruth Smith were the local school teachers who were of similar age (Hazel Moore, Agnes Miller, and my Mother.)  All of whom have passed on.  Margaret Gragg may have known her but she was the youngest of the bunch and may not have really had any contact or knowldege of her. 

We had an autographed copy of White Man's Burden which I believe Ruth Smith gave to my grandmother (Edith Andrews) and it passed into my mothers collection.  When she died the book was sold during the estate sale.  I don't recall it generating any interest at the sale.

The more I think about this lady and how little is known about her in home town leads me to believe she may have been one of those "radicals" that the home folk neighbors would just as soon not admit that they knew.  I'll have to dig up the book and read it again.  But considering the "colored rights" atmosphere of the time the book may have been considered something to acknowledge but ignore. 
Regards
-=Carl=-
San Antonio Tx.

patyrn

Carl,

Hazel Moore and Agnes Moore are both still living in their 90s in their own homes in Howard. 

Audrey.Thompson

When I spoke with Margaret Gragg, she had not heard of Ruth Smith.  I would love to speak with or write to Hazel Moore and Agnes Moore -- does anyone know whether they might be willing for me to contact them (by letter, email, or phone)?

Audrey

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk