killed in action during the WW I and II

Started by archeobabe, September 05, 2007, 04:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

I'll check with Uncle Dean.  If he approves I'll be happy put them up. Thanks

Jo McDonald

Fred and I attended the service for Rex.  It was a sad, sad day for everyone there.

My brother Jack, was killed due to an automobile accident on his way home from work on New Year's eve 1997... and I got the message delivered by Sheriff Lloyd Ford at 1 AM on New Year's day, and had the duty to awaken my Mother and tell her.  Jack was her first born then me and my sister.  Never have I had a more heart breaking time.  He truly was my hero.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Bonnie M.

Jo, we can just thank the good Lord for the good times, and the wonderful memories! 

I thought you and Fred were probably at Rex's service.  And, I was at your brother's funeral service.  I liked him a lot, and, as you know, I went out with him quite a few times, back in the "old days!"

"Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end!"
Bonnie

Janet Harrington

Hey, Jo,

Two things.  What was the year your brother was killed?  You have 1997 and I was sheriff then.  The next thing, where can we get an obit to put on the forum for your brother?  Love ya, thanks.

Marcia Moore

Ted Copeland, son of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Copeland living in the Paw Paw community southwest of Severy, was killed overseas on Feb. 10, 1945.  His body was not returned to the states for burial until April 1949.  He was buried in Cresco Cemetery. 

frawin

The American Legion Post in Severy was named Copeland Hubbell Post. The boys were cousins.  Ted was the son of Horace and the Hubbell was Frank Hubbell's son.  Both still have quite a number of relatives in the area.

Myrna

Marcia Moore

Many from the Severy area went off to war to fight for their country during World War II.  Some did not come home.  Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hubbell, living in the Paw Paw vicinity, lost two sons in a little over two months – Leslie Hubbell was killed in Belgium on Sept. 5, 1944 and Wilford Hubbell was killed in France on Nov. 16, 1944.  Their other son, Marion (Pete) Hubbell, was ordered returned to the United States due to a policy adopted by the Army whereby the sole surviving son of a family who had lost two or more sons in defense of their country should be retained in or returned to the continental limits of the United States for permanent assignment.
     Ted Copeland was a cousin to the Hubbell boys.  Also killed from the Paw Paw vicinity was Ray Carl Highsmith, the son of Oscar C. Highsmith, on Dec. 28, 1944 in Belgium. 

Richard Rhea Colyer (a brother to Margaret Gragg), son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold W. Colyer living west of Severy, near Piedmont, was killed while on a mission over Messina, Italy on July 14, 1943.  His parents received the Purple Heart, awarded posthumously to their son. 

Jo McDonald

Janet, that was a typo.  Sorry --- my  fingers did it again.  Jack death was 1979. 
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

patyrn

Ted Copeland was the brother of Virginia Coble and Doyle Copeland who both now live in Howard, and Madge Hebb, formerly of Howard, who now lives in Tyler, Texas.

frawin

Patyrn, I was trying to think of the rest of the Copelands, one of the girls married Earl Dean who was Adrian's partner in "Hebb & Dean's", Billy was killed in a car wreck. I think there was one or two more. I know my wife remembered all of them. Really a nice family. When I was a kid I thought the Copeland place was one of the neatest around.
Frank

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk