PRESTON, Patricia (Heisler) (Quinton) - b August 20, 1943 - d. January 16, 2006

Started by Teresa, January 16, 2006, 10:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

I am so sorry to have to report this.

Mark called me last night after he got home from the Council Meeting
and told me that Pat Preston was killed in a car accident tonight.
It was apparently up around the Severy area he thought but didn't know if there was
another car involved or if there were any passengers in with her.
All he knows is Pat didn't survive.

I am so sad for her family. :'(
But she is in good hands at last and I know that her daughter, Chelese met her as she arrived on the other side, and I know that made her happy.
If anyone has any more details, please share them with us.
I will get Winifred's ( her mother's)  and her son, Shannon and her other daughter Shalla's address, so cards can be sent if anyone wants to.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

Funeral Services will be at 2:00 on Friday the 20th
at the Zimmerman Funeral Home in the Chapel.

Janet Harrington

I talked with one of the troopers who helped work Pat's accident.  Apparently, Pat was driving west on the old highway from Severy and was approaching K-99.  Those who have driven that road know that the road curves to the north a little bit before it gets to K-99.  Apparently, Pat failed to make the curve which caused her left tires to go off the left side of the road.  Pat then over-corrected, which caused her SUV to roll many times.  Pat was thrown out of the driver's side window because she was not wearing a seat belt.  According to the trooper, Pat was still alive at the scene, but did die at the Greenwood County Hospital.  Winifred Heisler, Pat's mother, told me tonight that Dr. McClintock said that Pat did not suffer even though her injuries were fatal.  What that tells me is that Pat was probably unconscious because of the wreck and did not suffer any pain.  I can tell you with great relief that alcohol was not a factor in this accident.  This came from the trooper and from dr. McClintock.  I am also thankful that it was a one car accident.

Shannon Preston, Pat's son, and Shayla Cramer, Pat's daughter, both live in Altus, Oklahoma.  However; both Shannon and Shayla are here, making arrangements and doing what needs to be done.  Their families will arrive Thursday and the funeral is at the Zimmerman Funeral Home, Friday, January 20th, 2006, at 2:00 p.m., with burial at the Cresco Cemetery.  Pat's husband, Orvan, is a resident of Twilight Manor Nursing Home where he has lived for about 5 years.

In case you wonder why I know so much, I stopped at Pat's house this evening on my way home from work and talked with the kids and Pat's mother.  I also know so much because I just ask questions until I get the answers I want to here.  Law enforcement background, you see.

Anyway, back to Pat.  I shared many lunches with Pat when I was sheriff.  She and I were 2nd cousins as my dad, Jim Weyrauch, and Pat's mother, Winifred Weyrauch Heisler, were double first cousins.  Anyway, we enjoyed visiting with each other during those lunches.  I watched Shayla, Chelese, and Shannon, grow up as Pat moved herself and her kids home to Howard when Shayla was just starting kindergarten.  I can remember my school bus that I rode from Severy to Howard stopping at Grandma and Grandpa Heisler's and picking up Mamie and Sharon Heisler, Pat's younger sisters, and also picking up Shayla to go to grade school here in Howard.  Shayla had the biggest brown eyes and was a very quiet child, riding with us high schoolers.  I can tell you that Pat Preston loved those grandchildren that Shayla and Shannon gave to her.  She would talk about those grandchildren before she would talk about anything.

Okay, enough just talking and talking and talking.  Please keep the Pat Preston family and friends in your prayers and remember that Pat is at peace and with our Lord and her daughter, Chelese, and her dad, Leland.  She might even say hello to my dad, Jim Weyrauch, as my daddy also liked Pat.  Her full name was Patricia Jane and my youngest sister's name is Patricia Jane.  There ya go.  All in the family.

Teresa

Thank you Janet.. for telling us what you found out..
We will keep Pat's family in our prayers.

and yes... she DOES just keep asking questions until she finds things out..  ::)

DanCookson

Thanks for the information Janet.

I know that road and that corner.  I am lucky, as I had a terrible rollover wreck at that exact same place 14 years ago.

Teresa

Pats funeral was very nicely done today. There was a large turnout .
I pray that the family remains strong after they return home.

Mom70x7

Many people have been (and are) praying for Pat's family and friends.

Thank you, Janet, for your stories and information.

Janet Harrington

Patricia Jane (Heisler) Preston, 62, longtime resident of rural Howard, died Jan. 16, 2006, from injuries received in an automobile accident near Severy.

Services were held at 2 p.m. on Friday, January 20, 2006, at Zimmerman Funeral Home. Pastor Robin Haines officiated. Burial was in Cresco Cemetery, north of Howard.

A memorial has been established with Howard Twilight Manor Activity Fund. Contributions may be left with the funeral home.

Preston was born Aug. 20, 1943, at Basham Hospital in Eureka, to Leland Sylvester and Winifred Jane (Weyrauch) Heisler. She attended grade school at Fiat Rural School northeast of Howard. After graduating from Howard High School in 1961, she attended Wichita Business College.

On Jan. 26, 1962, she married Donald J. Quinton of Vian, Okla., and to this union were born three children. The marriage later ended.

Preston was employed at Howard Twilight Manor Nursing Home for several years. On Dec. 29, 1972, she married Orvan Edward Preston, and he adopted her children soon after their marriage. The Prestons owned and operated a farm north of Howard, and she was also employed as a legal secretary for many years.

A daughter, Chelise Mitchell, preceded her in death.

Survivors include her husband, Orvan Preston, of the home; a daughter, Shayla Cramer, and a son, Shannon Preston, both of Altus, Okla.; four grandsons; her mother, Winifred Heisler, Howard; two sisters, Mamie Hughes and Sharon Bowen, both of Independence; and a brother, James Heisler, Vassar.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk