THINGS TO KNOW

Started by Carl Harrod, January 14, 2006, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Harrod

I received this and thought I would pass it along.  Some I have heard before and I have even tried a couple with mixed resuts. Mostly though, you never know until you try. Good Luck.

1.    Budweiser beer conditions the hair

2.    Pam cooking spray will dry finger nail polish

3.    Cool whip will condition your hair in 15 minutes

4.    Mayonnaise will KILL LICE, it will also condition your hair

5.    Elmer's Glue - paint on your face, allow it to dry, peel off and see the dead skin and blackheads

6.    Shiny Hair - use brewed Lipton Tea

7.    Sunburn - empty a large jar of Nestea into your bath water

8.    Minor burn - Colgate or Crest toothpaste

9.    Burn your tongue? Put sugar On it!

10.  Arthritis?  WD-40 Spray and rub in, kill insect stings too

11.  Bee stings - meat tenderizer

12.  Chigger bite - Preparation H

13.  Puffy eyes - Preparation H

14.  Paper cut - crazy glue or chap stick (glue is used instead of sutures at most hospitals)

15.  Stinky feet - Jell-O!

16.  Athletes feet - cornstarch

17.  Fungus on toenails or fingernails - Vicks vapor rub

18.  Kool aid To clean dishwasher pipes. Just put in the detergent section and run a cycle, it will also clean a toilet. (Wow, and we drink this stuff)

19.  Kool Aid can be used as a dye in paint also Kool Aid in Dannon Plain yogurt as a finger paint, your kids will love it and it won't hurt them if they eat it!

20.  Peanut butter - will get scratches out of CD's!  Wipe off with a coffee filter paper

21.  Sticking bicycle chain - Pam no-stick cooking spray

22.  Pam Will also remove paint, and grease from your hands!  Keep a can in your garage for your hubby

23. Peanut butter will remove ink from the face of dolls

24.  When the doll clothes are hard to put on, sprinkle with corn starch and watch them slide on

25.  Heavy dandruff - pour on the vinegar!

26.  Body paint - Crisco Mixed with food coloring.  Heat the Crisco in the microwave, pour in to an empty film container and mix with the food color of your choice!

27.  Tie Dye T-shirt - mix a solution of Kool Aid in a container, tie a rubber band around a section of the T-shirt and soak

28.  Preserving a newspaper clipping - large bottle of club soda and cup of milk of magnesia, Soak for 20 min. and let dry, will last for many years!

29.  A Slinky Will hold toast and CD's!

30.  To keep goggles and glasses from fogging, coat with Colgate toothpaste

31.  Wine stains, pour on the Morton salt And watch it absorb into the salt.

32.  To remove wax - Take a paper towel and iron it over the wax stain, it will absorb into the towel.

33.  Remove labels off glassware etc. rub with Peanut butter!

34.  Baked on food - fill container with water, get a Bounce paper softener and the static from the Bounce Towel will cause the baked on food to adhere to it.  Soak overnight.  Also; you can use 2 Efferdent tablets, Soak overnight!

35.  Crayon on the wall - Colgate Toothpaste and brush it!

36.  Dirty grout - Listerine

37.  Stains on clothes - Colgate

38.  Grass stains - Karo Syrup

39.  Grease Stains - Coca Cola, It will also remove grease stains from the driveway overnight.  We know it will take corrosion from car batteries!

40.  Fleas in your carpet?  20 Mule Team Borax- Sprinkle and let stand for 24 hours.  Maybe this will work if you get them back again.

41.  To keep FRESH FLOWERS longer Add a little Clorox, or 2 Bayer aspirin, Or just use 7-up instead of water.

42.  When you go to buy bread in the grocery store, have you ever wondered which is the freshest, so you "squeeze" for freshness or softness?  Did you know that bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week?  Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Each day has a different color twist tie.  They are: Monday = BlueTuesday = Green, Thursday = Red Friday = White and Saturday = Yellow.  So if today was Thursday, you would want red twist tie; not white which is Fridays (almost a week old)!  The colors go alphabetically by color Blue- Green - Red - White - Yellow, Monday through Saturday.  Very easy to remember. I thought this was interesting.  I looked in the grocery store and the bread wrappers DO have different twist ties, and even the ones with the plastic clips have different colors.  You learn something new everyday!  Enjoy fresh bread when you buy bread with the right color on the day you are shopping.

Pass this information on to friends so they can be informed also.

plowboy

Do they not Bake bread on Wedesday?
Didn't see any color for that day, just wonder! ??? :-\

Teresa

Ants in the Kitchen?

To get rid of sugar ants, mix 1 part of boric acid powder with 20 parts of sugar. Sprinkle this in areas where you notice the ants, like behind cabinets and under the sink. Do not use on food preparation surfaces. Keep children and pets away from it. When ants are no longer visible, sweep up bait and dispose
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Bonnie M.

When you go to buy bread in the grocery store, have you ever wondered which is the freshest, so you "squeeze" for freshness or softness?
Did you know that bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week?  Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Each day has a different color twist tie. 
They are: Monday = Blue,
  Tuesday = Green,
Thursday = Red
Friday = White
Saturday = Yellow.

So if today was Thursday, you would want red twist tie; not white which is Fridays (almost a week old)! 

The colors go alphabetically by color Blue- Green - Red - White - Yellow, Monday through Saturday. 
Very easy to remember. I thought this was interesting.  I looked in the grocery store and the bread wrappers DO have different twist ties, and even the ones with the plastic clips have different colors. 
You learn something new everyday!  Enjoy fresh bread when you buy bread with the right color on the day you are shopping.
"

This is a new one for me!  I'm anxious to go back to the grocery store and check this out!  Thanks.
Bonnie

Jo McDonald

I received this in a e mail today --- and this is one that I am going to try out.  Skeeters grow big in Texas.
   Jo

Mosquitoes Listerine!
A little late for this season, but file it for future use.

INFORMATION ONLY

The best way of getting rid of mosquitoes is Listerine, the original
medicinal type. The Dollar Store-type works, too.
I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting
everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with
Listerine, and the little demons disappeared.
The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat
whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a
picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's
swing area, and the standing water nearby.
During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on.
------------------

OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS:
I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact,
it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me
$1.89.
It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as
expensive to use as the can of spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes.
So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly
on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray
around the window frames, and even inside the dog house if you have one

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Teresa

I sure will try this..the best thing is all we have to do is check on the forum and the information is here..
No wondering where we read it and what we did with it after we printed it out..etc..

Carl Harrod

VODKA!
1. To remove a bandage painlessly, saturate the bandage with vodka. The solvent dissolves the adhesive.
2. To clean the caulking around bathtubs and showers, fill a trigger-spray bottle with vodka, spray the caulking, let set 5 minutes and wash clean. The alcohol in the vodka kills mold and mildew.
3. To clean your eyeglasses, simply wipe the lenses with a soft, clean cloth dampened with vodka. The alcohol in the vodka cleans the glass and kills germs.
4. Prolong the life of razors by filling a cup with vodka and letting your safety razor blade soak in the alcohol after shaving. The vodka disinfects the blade and prevents rusting.
5. Spray vodka on vomit stains, scrub with a brush, then blot dry.
6. Using a cotton ball, apply vodka to your face as an astringent to cleanse the skin and tighten pores.
7. Add a splash of vodka to a 12-ounce bottle of shampoo. The alcohol cleanses the scalp, removes toxins from hair and stimulates the growth of healthy hair.
8. Fill a 16-ounce trigger-spray bottle and spray bees or wasps to kill them.
9. Pour BD cup vodka and BD cup water in a freezer bag and freeze for a slushy, reusable ice pack for aches, pain or black eyes.
10. Fill a clean, empty jar with freshly packed lavender flowers. Fill the jar with vodka, seal the lid tightly, and set it in the sun for 3 days. Strain liquid, then apply the tincture to aches and pains.
11. Make your own mouthwash by mixing 9 tablespoons powered cinnamon with 1 cup vodka. Seal in an airtight container for 2 weeks. Strain through a coffee filter. Mix with warm water and rinse your mouth. (DON'T SWALLOW!)
12. Using a cotton swab, apply vodka to a cold sore to help it dry out.
13. If blister opens, pour vodka over the raw skin as a local anesthetic that also disinfects the exposed dermis.
14. To treat dandruff, mix 1 cup vodka with 2 teaspoons crushed rosemary. Let sit 2 days, strain through a coffee filter, massage into your scalp and dry.
15. To treat an earache, put a few drops of vodka in your ear. Let sit for a few minutes, then drain. Vodka will kill the bacteria causing pain in your ear.
16. To relieve a fever, use a washcloth to rub vodka on your chest and back as a liniment.
17. To cure foot odor, wash your feet with vodka.
18. Vodka will disinfect and alleviate a jellyfish sting.
19. Pour vodka over an area affected with poison ivy to remove the urushiol oil from your skin.
20. Swish a shot of vodka over an aching tooth. Allow your gums to absorb some of the alcohol to numb the pain.
And, my personal favorite...
21. If all else fails, just turn the bottle upside-down and drink it. Then nothing else will matter anyway!

Teresa

I have not tried this.. but will keep it in my memory banks for if I do need it.

Use Coke For Removing Smoke Odors
Several years back we had a fire in our home and the pros came in to help us with the clean up. Everything smelled like smoke, even our clothes. One of their cleaning secrets was to put one can of Coca-Cola in the washing machine, per load with your regular laundry soap. They said: "Do NOT use sugarless and do not use Pepsi, just REGULAR name-brand Coca-Cola." It worked wonderfully! It was amazing how well just adding one can of Coke per wash load would take out every trace of smoke smell from our clothes and other washables!

I've since used this trick to get rid of that campfire smell from my jackets and other clothes after camping and it also seems to get rid of nasty nicotine smells from my clothes when I've been around smokers. I don't know if a knockoff brand of Coke would work, I used the real thing but you could always give a cheaper brand a try!

Source: Professional smoke damage cleaners gave me this tip.
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf14264058.tip.html
[/b]

pam

My husband is terrible about his cd's and throwin em around, i'm gonna try the peanut butter on em! I'd never heard that:) Lot's of good info!
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk