How Does Your Garden Grow?

Started by Diane Amberg, July 27, 2007, 12:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

They control pesty insects in your yard. They don't come with a leash, so they can go anywhere but will stay in your yard if there is food. I try not to use chemicals if at all possible, and this was entertaining as well. Not terribly expensive either. These are a natural pest control device, like ladybugs.
Edie

Ole Granny

Youngest daughter works at a preschool and each year she purchases the praying mantis eggs for the children to watch mature.  They also buy tadpoles so the kids can watch them become frogs.  I use to watch this process but in was in the natural habitat of the creek.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Teresa

I'll be darn. I've had a zillion tadpoles and baby crawdads and baby bullheads etc... and I knew that people used lady bugs..
but I never heard of Praying Mantis bought and used in bulk.
How many did you buy and are they expensive?
And food... what kind of food makes them stay in an area or location.

sorry for the questions.. but this is cool stuff.  :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

Praying mantis eat other insects.  You haven't lived until you have watched an adult praying mantis eating an adult grasshopper.  Perhaps they should be called preying mantis instead of praying.

Ole Granny

I agree!  I have seen it as preying but believe it is praying.  They do look sweet and innocent (pray) until they attack (prey) ??? ??? ;D.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Wilma

I know I have asked this before, but can't remember where or when.  Is there any natural way of controlling squigglies in your bird bath?  Other than dumping and refilling all the time.  I am thinking of some natural substance that can be put in the water that is safe for birds and pets but mosquitoes don't like.

sixdogsmom

I would like to know this too Wilma. I keep goldfish in a tub with plants, and they eliminate the wigglers. Oil on the surface will stop them, but I don't think that would be good for the birds. Anybody have an answer?

As an aside, I went out to check one of my birdbaths for wigglers the other day, and there was a baby mantis in the water trying to get out. It looked to me as though he had been hunting wigglers and fell in. He was sure happy to get out of there, just climbed right onto my finger.
Edie

Diane Amberg

You asked right here this time last year. "Mosquito dunks" are little round donut shapes that won't hurt birds or fish but kill the mosquito larvae. It contains Bti bacteria. You wouldn't want a child or pet to eat the little donut it as a "treat," but a small piece should take care of a bird bath for 30 days. The treated water won't be poisonous.  

Wilma

Thank you, Diane.  I will look for some the next time I am where I can.

Teresa

Cooksons have these I think..but they can get them if they don't.
I know that they have stuff for ponds that don't hurt fish..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk