How to Clean Yellowed Linens

Started by desertlilydarla, July 21, 2007, 01:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desertlilydarla

Does anyone know how to clean yellowed linens, such as white table cloths and napkins?   At one time I was given a recipe to mix up that I was told would do the trick.  But I lost it before I could use it. Help!!!!!  some are antique linens.
No act of kindness, no matter how small,
is ever wasted.

flo

fill the bathtub with warm water to which a good amount of Shout has been added - just let them soak several hours.  This is how I whitened some nurses uniforms anyhow, stains and all.  Suppose you could use this new Oxi Clean, but I haven't tried it.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Diane Amberg

I looked in my "How to Clean Everything" book. Be sure what you want to bleach is all white in the first place. Be very careful with true antiques.
    Wash gently as usual.  Mix up a solution of 1 pint 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 gal. water (or 1 part peroxide to 8 parts water) and soak for several hours. To make it a little stronger, add a teaspoon of borax (sodium perborate) to the mix before soaking. You could also try commercially made color remover. Check the Rit display or a commercial laundry. If your piece is a good antique, check  with a professional fabric conservator before you do anything. (Witchita?)                                                                                                                                                                                                               .

flo

MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

kdfrawg

For some reason this thread reminded me of my good friend Pat Lawyer (born in Harper, Kansas) in California. She was having a bunch of old things brought up to snuff and was looking for a good French reweaver in San Mateo. The problem was not the lack of talented people, it was that Pat could not say "French reweaver." For some reason, it just came out as verbal mush. After a few weeks of this I looked up the SIC (Standard Industrial Code) for French Reweaver, which was something like 9238, so she just said that from then on and we all knew what she meant.

She couldn't say Czechoslovakian Thistle-Hut, either, but that's another story.

;D

Diane Amberg

U-h-h... thistle hut? Ya got me on that one. Hey, Frawg, our Cicadas are really tuning up now. They don't zizzer like yours do. It's more like a chatter.

kdfrawg

Our cicadas are very, very quiet. I don't understand it, I just don't. The biology folks at the university promised a bumper crop of 17-year cicadas, and all I have heard is a couple of quiet ones. I crestfallen.

The Czechoslovakian Thistle-Hut was the name of a roadside stand near Monterrey, CA that sold absolutely perfect artichokes. You wouldn't think it would come up that often, but somebody from our group of friends was always going to Monterrey for a few days and people wanted them to stop for them at the Czechoslovakian Thistle-Hut on the way back. All except for Pat, and she just said "that artichoke place."

;D

Diane Amberg

I've been to the wonderful aquarium there. Saw my first sea otters wrapped up in kelp, snoozing in the bay. Didn't see a Thistle Hut, but that's a great name.

kdfrawg

The aquarium is truly grand. I love it. I spent a lot more time in Carmel than I did Monterrey, I guess, but they are both dandy places. I also loved Pacific Grove, which is just north of Monterey. When you just live an hour or so away, it would be a shame not to take advantage of it. Yuppers, thems were the days.

Diane Amberg

I had a friend who was the special events coordinator at Pebble Beach.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk