Freedom of Speech ? Or Not!

Started by Teresa, June 14, 2007, 11:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfrawg

Actually, Wilma's suggestion is pretty nearly exactly right. That is what free speech is supposed to be all about. One must remember, though, that the Constitution was written at a time when civility and mutual respect was much more common than it is today, at least among the class of people that wrote the Constitution.

It sometimes matters as much how you say something as it does what you say. I am personally guilty of being more blunt than necessary sometimes. That's just the way I am and I have consigned myself to dealing primarily with other people that are also blunt whenever possible. When that's not possible, I just control my natural tendency to bluntness.

If we could all exercise that control by being civil, polite, and respectful of others, free speech would be less of a thorny issue. There is a big difference between standing on a platform with a megaphone screaming "THAT IS ONE UGLY &*%^  *^^#$ HAT YOU HAVE ON!" and saying, when asked how you like someone's new hat, "I don't think I would have bought it, because it is not my cup of tea. But it sure looks nice on you!"

Both ways let the wearer know that you don't like their new hat. But only the first way is liable to start a fistfight.

Mom70x7

QuoteNah, we are supposed to have freedom of speech and you can say whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want.  I said so.

I agree - the second half of that is accept the consequences of our free speech. Which means if you stand on a "platform with a megaphone" you'll usually generate a great deal more of negative responses than if you talk quietly and privately.

There's a right time and a right place to say things, as well as a wrong time and place. Both have consequences.

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Mom70x7 on June 18, 2007, 12:09:54 PM
Which means if you stand on a "platform with a megaphone" you'll usually generate a great deal more of negative responses than if you talk quietly and privately.

Does this mean I should quit standing on a platform with a megaphone when I state my blunt opinion? ??? ??? ??? :P

kdfrawg

Not necessarily, Janet. Here, at least, you're among friends. So I guess we'll understand. Over at that fancy new prison you're at, though, it might be another story until they get to know you.

;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk