THOMAS, Ira Lee - b. Oct. 6, 1926 - d. November 15, 1998

Started by Ole Granny, June 10, 2007, 07:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Granny

In Loving Memory of Ira L. Thomas

Ira Lee Thomas passed away Sunday, November 15, 1998 at Via Christi St. Francis Medical Center in Wichita, Kansas.  He was 72 years of age.  Ira was born October 6, 1926 at Wellington, Kansas to Alex and Ada (Hines) Thomas.  He attended Pink rural school near Wellington as well as Wellington schools, before moving with his family to the Moline community where he graduated from Moline High School in 1944.
  On September 20, 1944 Ira enlisted in the United States Air Force at Shepard Field, Texas and sevrved as a papachute rigger while stationed at Santa Anna, California.  He was honorably discharged on November 16, 1945.
  On December 19, 1946, Ira married Shirley Jean Porter at their current home in Moline.  Ira was employed at Concrete Materials in Sedan, Kansas until serving as parts manager at Ames Chevrolet in Moline for 17 years.  In 1964, he became associated with O & B Oil Company in Elk Falls, Kansas and continued in that business until he retired in 1985.
  Ira enjoyed hunting, fishing and camping.  He was also interested in automobiles and caring for his favorite dogs, "Sam", "Red", "Fifi" and "T-John".  He was a board member of the Moline Community Rural Health Clinic and was instrumental in constructing the clinic building.  Ira was also active in the Shalom Workshop and Residence at Moline.  He was former mayor and councilman of Moline, former president of the board of Southeast Kansas Economic Development and was a former member of the Moline School Board.  He was a long time member of Fergueson-Spease American Legion Post #388, Hope Lodge #155 A. F. & A.M., Ladonia Chapter #243 O.E.S. and the Moline United Methodist Church.
  He is survived by his wife, Shirley; sons, Raymond Thomas and his wife Deborah, of Topeka and Tyson Porter of Round Rock, Texas; a daughter, Teressa Kirkpatrick and her husband, Rodney, of Longton; and 3 grandchildren, Kyle and Craig Thomas and Crystal Kirkpatrick.
  Funeral services were held at 2:00 p.m. Wednesday, November 18, 1998 at the Moline United Methodist Church with Rev. Larry Boyer officiating.  Shae Watkins was the organist with congregational singing of "Because He Lives" and "When We All Get To Heaven".  The casket bearers were Clarence Carter, Gene Corle, Chris Clyde, Merle Hey, Dennis Hogan, Fred Osborn, Rob Shore, Gene Williams and Mike Wilson.  Interment was held in the Moline Cemetery.  Memorials have been established with the Moline United Methodist Church and the New Beginnings Workshop of Moline.  Contributions may be left with the funeral home.  The funeral arrangements were made with the Zimmerman Funeral Home of Howard.

"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Janet Harrington

Ira Thomas was one of my best citizens when I was sheriff.  He was a gentleman.  Shirley, his wife, was the sweetest woman and I am glad that they lived long enough to be a part of my life.  Thank you, Ira and Shirley, for being the kind of Elk County citizens that you were.  I wish we had more people like you two were.

Ole Granny

Ira and Shir;ey were tremendous people.  Alex Thomas, Ira's dad, was a jewel.  I have an article from the Topeka Capital Journal about Kyle Thomas, Ira's grandson, (Raymond's son) about his life and death.  If this appropriate for the Elk County Forum, I would put it on.  Kyle's grandparents and parents were from Moline.  Kyle was raised in the Topeka area. 
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Wilma

I think it would be appropriate.  A lot of people remember the Thomas's.

Janet Harrington

Absolutely it would be appropriate.  Type away, Ole Granny.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk