ROLL CALL TO ALL MEMBERS !!!!

Started by Teresa, May 05, 2007, 10:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narvous

That was a nuff took me 2 days to read ;) ;D

But while I am here, I'll tell you something about me.

I'm 64 years 'young'...and my name is Narvous...
Anyway, that's what folks have called me since my Baldknobber Days.
When I was working at the Shepherd of the Hills Outdoor Theater as a Baldknobber, I couldn't set still , I was always moving and I guess kind of fidgety.
One of the guys that worked there, also lived way back in the Missouri hills. He would ask me if I was nervous. But he spoke like the backwoods hill people, and didn't say nervous like we do.
He would say "narvous".
Well, everyone in the cast started calling me "Narvous".
So Narvous just kinda stuck  I guess, and that is what all my friends and my cowboy shootin' friends all call me.

When I was 15 years old, I left home and have been on my own since then.
I moved to Lexington, Kentucky. All I knew at that time was horses, so I got a job at Spendthrift Thoroughbred Farms. I worked with the horses..riding them out and training them., and breaking yearlings. I worked there 18 years.

Then I moved to Ohio, and worked 10 years at the race track being a trainer and a jockey. I also broke the yearlings to get them ready to be race horses.

Then I moved on to Florida getting a job at the race track there, doing the same thing. After about 12 years there, my wife ( who also rode and trained horses) and I moved to Forsyth Mo. right next to the Branson Missouri area.

I got a job at The Shepherd of the Hills, being one of the Baldknobbers at the outdoor theater. We put on a live outdoor performance every night 7 days a week. I worked there for 3 years.
Then I was offered a job with Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede. I took care of the horses that were used in the show. When they needed ridden out and exercised I did that too.  I worked there for 4 years.
Then I retired and bought a small ranch where I spend my days riding my horses and taking care of my dogs and menagerie of animals and birds.

I like to tinker around and build things. I took a motor from a Harley Davidson Motorcycle and tore it down and put together a bicycle using the motor. Not a 4 legged horse...but it does have some horse power.
I am also currently building my barn out of native trees around my place, that I hand cut and use.

I am an NRA member and I collect guns and have quite a collection of cowboy memorabilia from famous people.
Life is good. :)
Narvous
Cowboy on the Rockin H

genealogynut

Teresa.......you talk about spare time? When do you get any?  You were dancin in circles around me, girl!  Whew!  I'm tuckered out for the next two weeks!  ;D   What octane of gas do you run on?  :laugh: :laugh:

CRC_Jodi

Hello,  I am Jodi Pennington.  I reside in rural Chautauqua County.  I spend a lot of time in Elk County and I think it is a great place with lot's of very nice people.  I love living in Southeast Kansas!!!  I am originally from the Wichita area.  Since I was a kid our extended family has been sprinkled over Southeast Kansas.  My Granddad (and he was Grand!) was born in and went to school in Atlanta, KS.  His sister, my Great Aunt Myrtle, married and Settled in Havana, Ks. and my Aunt Marge lives in Mound Valley, so we have spent lots of time in Southeast Kansas.  I really enjoy the relaxed and friendly atmosphere.  I work for Crisis Resource Center of Southeast Kansas and I work in Elk, Chautauqua and Wilson Counties.  I have a daughter and a step-daughter who is both of them have 2 boys, so I have 4 terrific Grandson's ages 19 to 2 and one on the way.  Our oldest daughter lives in Wichita and recently went back to College and graduated from Friends we are so proud of her!!.  The youngest just bought a house in Sedan for the appending return of her husband from Iraq.  My husband works at Sedan Floral (long hours right now).  We love the outdoors, I love to watch the birds here, I don't know why but the colors are so much more vibrant.  I love to sew, scrapbook and play with the grandkids.  Well my little blurb turn into a book.  It was so neat to read all the others I had to share.
Thanks for letting me be a part!
Jodi

kfclark

Hello,
My name is Kevin F. Clark. I have deep roots in Elk County since my Mom, Dorothy J. Denton Clark Pagan and my Dad, Charles E. Clark MD were both raised in Howard. Many of you know more about my folks than I do, at least you probably know more dirt on them than I do. Please share.

I am the youngest of their six children together and am the one charged with the keeping of the family history. Mom passed away 11 Dec 2005 but Dad is still with us. 

My wife Vickie and I have been married almost 21 years (6 Jun 1986) and we have one son, Spencer Charles Clark (7 Dec 1991.)

I work for Activant Solutions, Inc., we sell computer systems to hardware stores and lumber yards and I am currently an Implementation Coordinator. I coordinate the installation and training for our new customers.

We live just north of Austin, Texas.  My hobbies are scouting, camping, geocaching, dutch oven cooking and hunting with my son.

I have only recently begun to research my family history, but much of my family history has been documented by others. Thanks Lois, Aunt Maxine, Uncle Hubert, and Grandma Gladys.

We are in the process of cleaning out my mom's house and she was definitely Gladys' daughter so there are stacks and stacks of old clippings, papers, letters etc. to be gone through.

I am excited to join this Elk County Community.  I'll be coming to the Biennial Horning Reunion this July 20-22, 2007 so perhaps I'll get to meet some of you.

Kevin F. Clark
Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

Buddyboy

I am Scotty Zollars. My dad's family settled around Longton in the 1870's. They had an orchard and farm outside of town not too far from the cemetery. The farm got out of the family's hands, but last I knew the signpost was still there. I think the Persingers may own it now. My dad, Elmore, left there after WWII and went to work in Wichita. He lived in Belle Plaine. After getting a divorce, raising his daughter by himself, and getting her married off, he began seeing his son-in-law's sister, my mom Valera Mae Zumbrun. I came along almost a year after they were married followed by two more sisters, Gretchen and Mollie.
Dad had a bad heart attack and had to retire from the Gas Service Company in Wichita when I was in the second grade. We stayed in BP for awhile because that's where my mom's family was from. Dad always wanted to get back over to Longton and we made lots of trips to see family members, the Busbys, the Jones, etc. Finally at the end of my 7th grade year we moved to Southeast KS. My mom put her foot down and told Dad that she was NOT going to live in Longton. She said she would move as far as Moline and that was it. At first sight, I was not impressed with Moline. All I saw was old fogeys and I really hated to move there. I was so wrong. That move was one of the best things that happened in my life. I may have been born in Wellington, but my home town will always be Moline. Esther Wilson and so many others there in the town had a big impact on my life and I found out that it was not a town of old fogeys. I will also always remember Mr. Campbell's gigantic cookies and donuts, Lee Bailey's pictures, the Mercantile, Axtel's print shop and paying the water bill at Dodson's jewelry store. There were also two grocery stores then. Both of the houses that I lived in there are gone. One has been replaced and one is now a garden spot.
My Dad died my junior year of HS and Mom went back to school at ICC. I followed her there a year later doing the commute. When Mom graduated there, we moved to MO and I began my exile in MO and AR. I met and married my wife, Ruth, and we had two sons, Joe and Tim during this time. When I graduated from SofO now CofO, I taught and worked in libraries in AR from 1986 to 2000. We then moved back to KS.
I am the Director of Library Services for Labette Community College in Parsons, KS. The things that I learned on those Saturdays at Moline Public have come in handy a lot more than any of the book learning that I ever received in classes. Ruth teaches English and Philosophy up the road at Neosho County Community College. Joe, my oldest son, is an assistant manager at a Taco Bell in Lawrence. He will be attending KU in the fall. Tim, my youngest, is a dad and studying to be a pastor. He is married to Sarai and has given me an awesome little guy name Taylor for a grandson. He also has another one on the way in October. Hopefully this one is a granddaughter.
I really enjoy reading the historical things about Elk County and the genealogy. Ruth and I are really into genealogy and have done a lot of research on our families. Currently we are working on a book about my Grandma Zollars' family, the Reynolds, that lived in the Busby/Painterhood area.
Guess that is about it. Ruth may have additional information to add, but this is at least my side of the story.  :D

Scotty

genealogynut

Scotty, I sure enjoyed reading your posting.  Wondered where you've been!  :)  I can remember the Moline Mercantile well, too. I liked that store, and hated to see it close.

Janet Harrington

Okay.  I'm sure that it is about time I posted who I am and what I am all about.  Don't you just wish?

Okay, I am Janet Weyrauch Lee Harrington.  I grew up in Severy.  I was born the same year that my daddy, Jim Weyrauch, started working at Beech.  My mother is Wilma.  I attended 2 years at Severy High School, then finished high school in Howard at North Elk High school, graduating in 1972.  Go, TROJANS.  My class is having a 35th year reunion on Sunday, May 27th.

I married Woody Lee and lived that AWFUL marriage for 4 years.  Then I was stupid and stayed with him another year.  How dumb is that?  I went to truck driving school, drove a truck for about a year when my health made me stay at home with mom and dad at Wichita.

I met Jim Harrington, who is a great husband, in 1982.  I started working for the Elk County Sheriff's Office and the Elk County EMS that year. 

I became sheriff of Elk County in 1987 and served in that capacity for 17 years.  Jim and I have been married almost 11 years now.  I worked at the Wilson County Sheriff's Office and was the jail director until I was fired on March 6th, 2007, for looking for a better paying job.  Currently, I am unemployed and looking for work.

Jim is a retired custodian from USD 282, so he stays home and keeps house.  YEAH.  Jim grew up in Grenola, so his roots to Elk County are longer than mine are.

I graduated from Friends University, Wichita, in May 2002, with my Bachelor of Science Criminal Justice studies degree.  I am currently 6 hours away from my Masters' Degree in Criminal Justice studies with Washburn University. 

We like living in Howard, especially with Mother living here.  However; if the right job with the right pay comes along, we will be gone like a thief in the night.  We love it here, but have to do what we have to do.

I have a wonderful dog named Colonel that is a German Shephard and weighs 96 pounds.  He is a loveable dog that truly loves me unconditionally.

So much for me.  Someone else's turn.

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Narvous on May 10, 2007, 06:32:50 AM

I like to tinker around and build things. I took a motor from a Harley Davidson Motorcycle and tore it down and put together a bicycle using the motor. Not a 4 legged horse...but it does have some horse power.

Just wondering if that motor bike get's good gas mileage and how long would it take to ride it to Howard??

Narvous

Quote from: Janet Harrington on May 13, 2007, 09:58:00 PM

Just wondering if that motor bike get's good gas mileage and how long would it take to ride it to Howard??

About 2 years!  ;D
Narvous
Cowboy on the Rockin H

genealogynut

Somehow, I had missed seeing the original posting on Narvous' Roll Call of a few days ago, until this morning.  Sounds like he's had a very interesting and exciting, and eventful life.  What I am wondering is how many times he's gotten thrown off a horse, and how many times he's ended up with some broken bones.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk