ROLL CALL TO ALL MEMBERS !!!!

Started by Teresa, May 05, 2007, 10:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

It's Roll Call time for all members.

What we would like for you to do is to write and tell everyone else all about you and your family and your pets or whatever you want your forum friends to know. But I think that we can safely say that we are more than forum friends.
We are kind of like family...........
Since most of us know each other or know someone who is kin to you... that makes us more than forum friends.

So don't be shy... Post away and let's all get reacquainted!

((I'll send out a newsletter when I get home Sunday evening and we will see how many out there we can get to come in and say "Hi".)).
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

ddurbin

Looks like I'm the first to start this off---again.  ddurbin is Dan Durbin, born at Sedan Hospital, but raised on the long-time family farm north of Moline.  Son of Emera M. 'Stub' and Joan Durbin.  Graduated Moline High with the outstanding class of 1970--even though we actually attended classes in Grenola our senior year due to the fire that took down the building at Moline.  Went on to receive a 'higher education' at Kansas State, then started my 'adult' life working for Ritchie Industries in Conrad, Iowa.  Got myself married in 1974 to Ann Sherman, granddaughter of Woodrow and Verna Lewis of Moline.  Must have been a good choice as we're still together.  Anyway, after 3 years in Iowa, we moved to Winfield, KS and have been here ever since.  Must have been another good choice.  Along the way, two sons became our immediate family, Dustin and Casey.  In 1979 I began working for the Ks. Dept of Education, then switched over to the Winfield Correctional Facility in 1985.  Guess what---another good choice as I'm still there, but retirement eligibility is quickly approaching.  Hobbies include hunting (primarily quail and deer), genealogy and local history.
There--now just add a list of survivors and throw in a little bit about what a wonderful person I've been all my life and you have a self-written obituary, at which point you can move this down to that section.  All I ask is that you wait until I'm actually deceased, which hopefully won't be for a long, long time yet.
Okay, who's next?  I won't even threaten unleashing the demons this time.

Wilma

How interesting, Dan.  I would be the second, but I have company and don't have the time to do all that typing right now.  See you all later.

Mom70x7

I'll go next, 'cuz I said earlier I would post if we had a Roll Call thread.   ;)

I'm Debbie Lane - daughter of Mary Arlene Wisner, granddaughter of Leslie and Bertie Wisner, all of Howard.

I'm in Howard, however, because back when Jim and I started with the "kid" thing, we needed a bigger house. We looked all over S.E. Kansas and ended up in Howard, right house, right price.

Mom70x7 comes from my kids. I love being a mom. We fostered over 3 dozen kids and have adopted 6 of them so far. The first four were through regular channels, kind of, and the last two were older kids who asked if they could be in our family. So, of course, we said yes.  :)

That's the Mom part. The 70x7 is scriptural - that's how many times we're to forgive each other - infinity. The foster kids we had were from families in desperate need of forgiveness. And all of us, to learn to work and live together, need to forgive each other for being human. God continually forgives us, we need to pass it on. We're all in this together, brothers and sisters.

Anyhow -

I work part-time at the Methodist church, as secretary, and part-time at the high school in the vocal music department.

I was born in Oklahoma, grew up in Iowa and am a proud product of the Midwest, small towns. I like to play the piano (once a month at Severy and Howard Methodist churches), I like computers and I like to read.

I have a B.S. in Journalism / Education, with a minor in Geography from Oklahoma State. I finished 2 1/2 years of law school in Wichita, but then the school's benefactor died and the school closed. I collect Barbie dolls (probably have about 100); Smurfs (magnets and PVC only); and kids.  :D

Okay - who's next?

Janet Harrington

I'll do mine in a couple of days.  However; I want to respond to ddurbin's post.  Woodrow and Verna Lewis connection.  I didn't know Woodrow, but I knew Verna and loved her to death.  If I remember correctly, she had a daughter in Chanute that used to work for the highway patrol.  Am I right?  Anyway, Verna was quite the lady when she still lived in Moline.

Sarah

Well, I guess I'm the outsider here since I was neither raised here nor am I related to anyone here.   :P

My name is Sarah and I was born and raised in Goddard, KS and I'm a stay at home mom of 4.  There is Rachel (9), LJ (8), Mathias (3) and Autumn (1).  My husband is Louis who was also born and raised in Goddard.  He is a locator for SM&P for Greenwood, Elk and Chataqua counties and beyond.  I'm sure everyone has seen him at one time or another walking the ditches and putting orange flags in the ground.   ;D

We use to raise registered Hampshire sheep, but we sold them and are now pursuing our dream of being a fiber farm.  We now raise Leicester sheep, Angora goats and French and Satin Angora rabbits. 

We built our house ourselves out here.  Took us three years to build it.  We moved in in May of 04 and we love it out here.   :)

Flintauqua

I'll post mine soon, but I will take the time to answer a thought from Janet.  Dan's wife Ann, my sister in law, is the daughter of Keith and Rosemary (Lewis) Sherman.  Rosemary did dispatch for the KHP in Chanute for a time after they retired to that community.

frawin

Well Dan, your information does bring back fond memories, I knew you parents , your wife's parents and your wife's Grandparents. In fact I dated your wife's Aunt Kay about 50 years ago. Where does the time go. Marion Jacot was my brother-in-law and I hunted Quail and Prairie Chicken around Moline a lot in the old days, Many times when Marion and I were hunting we stopped and visited with your Dad. I attended a dance or two at your parents house, it seemed like they had a big open slab that we danced on.
Frank Winn

Wilma

My turn now.  I came to Elk county in 1947 with my parents.  Finished my senior year at Piedmont in 1948, married a neighbor boy who had just finished his army stint.  We raised our daughters in Severy, lived there for 25 years, moved to Sedgwick County when I went to work over there.  I didn't start working until our youngest was in high school, then I had 2 years at Severy Grade School as a teacher's aid, 5 years in Moline as a legal secretary and 12 years at the Internal Revenue Service in Wichita.  I quit work 6 months before my husband was due to retire so I could have some getting my house in order time before he was home, too.  Didn't work.  He had a heart attack 2 months after I quit work and he never went back.  We bought land in Elk County in 1992 with the intentions of soon moving back here.  Didn't work, either.  The next 12 years my husband was in and out of the hospital with heart related problems, then bladder cancer and finally skin cancer, which he wasn't able to beat.  I moved myself to Howard 2 years ago with the intentions of spending the rest of my life here.

While I am not a native of Elk County, my parents moved here in 1947 and my mother stayed until 1985 when she moved to Haysville to be closer to her children, me and my brothers.  My husband was a true native.  His parents and their parents were Elk County people.  One of my daughters, Janet graduated from North Elk and has lived in Elk County most of the time since.  Another daughter, Pattie, graduated from West Elk in 1974, married an Elk County man, lived in Howard for awhile.  One of her daughters lives here now.  My other 2 daughters, being older, graduated from Severy High.  One is in Wichita, now, and the other married a Missouri man and lives over there.  Janet and Archeobabe of this forum are 2 of my daughters.  Archobabe will soon be a citizen of Howard, also. 

Narvous

Hi Teresa nutten to tell just old cowboy ;)
Narvous
Cowboy on the Rockin H

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk