1906 Howard High School, the first high school

Started by Janet Harrington, April 29, 2007, 03:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Here is a picture of the Howard High School in 1906.  I'm not sure that we have one of these on the forum and even if we do, I don't think it was as good as this one is.

emptynest

What a neat picture!!  Where was that high school located?  That building looks as if it could have stood 1000 years or more.   

W. Gray

I am just wondering.

If this was Howard's first high school in 1906, then did no one attend high school before that time?

Or, perhaps high school was in a 1 through 12 school building?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

The picture was taken in 1906, it was from a collection that Hottinger had of Howard and other SE Kansas towns. The first part of this building was built in 1882 and added on to in 1887 then torn down in 1915 and the red brick school was constructed. It was reportedly poorly consrtructed and my guess it would have been very difficult to add restroom/shower facilities. The first school classes in Howard were in 1873 in a wood frame building. I am at my office downtown and will look at my file on this when I get home so don't hold me to all of this.

frawin

It was the 1882/1887 to 1915 building that was reportedly poorly construted. I assume that was due to the add ons that took place. I wanted to clarify that it wasn't the red brick building that I was inferring was poorly constructed.

Jody

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL BUILDING.  IT LOOKS LIKE  A BUILDING ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS!     I HAVE WONDERED IF THE METROPOLITAN HOTEL WAS POORLY BUILT? I PLAYED IN  THAT BUILDING WHEN I WAS  YOUNG.    A CLASSMATE OF MINE  LIVED THERE.   HER MOTHER HAD A BEAUTY SHOP IN THE BUILDING.

Jody

THIS BUILDING WAS USED AS THE GRADE SCHOOL UNTIL THE GRADE SCHOOL WAS BUILT IN 1936.  THEN IT WAS TORN DOWN.

Flintauqua

Does anyone know where it sat on the block?  Based on where the other buildings are/were, and a quick survey I once took of that block with an architect, my guess would be the SW corner of the block.

frawin

I don't have anything in my file on just exactly where it was located on the grounds. This picture came out of F.E.Hottinger's album, I will check and see if "Hot"  had anything in it about the location.
A wing of this building was torn down in 1916 , I don't have anythinhg that says if it was torn down to make room for the new building or it was torn down due to the structure being unstable or just not needed.

W. Gray

That Hottinger appears to be the one who operated a drug store.

If so, are there any pictures of the Elk River alligators in that collection?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk