William McGlashen (biography)

Started by genealogynut, March 19, 2007, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Taken from History of the State of Kansas, by Wiliam G. Cutler

WILLIAM McGLASHEN, farmer, P. O. Longton, was born in Scotland in 1841.  Emigrated to Americ in 1860, locating in Washington County, Ill., and in 1861 enlisted in the Twenty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving three years and three months; at the battle of Stone River was wounded, and again at Chickamauga was wounded and taken prisoner, and confined at Libby prison at Richmond, was held a prisoner about two months. Received his discharge in September 1864.  He located at Ottawa, Ill.  At the end of one year, settled in Jackson County, Mo., and remained there until 1870, when he migrated to Kansas, and located a claim in Howard County, on Sections 5 and 6, Township 31, Range 12.  The county was very new, and was sixty-five miles from a railroad, the survey was not made until the following year, His farm contains 120 acres, fifty acres in cultivation, 110 acres fenced, has planted a fine orchard of all kinds of fruits, put up a house 16 x 26, with ell 14 x 14, and other buildings.  Was married at Pontiac, Ill., to Miss Margaret McKay in 1865. They have one son, William, Jr.  Is a member of Mulligan Post, No. 91, G.A.R., and Superintendent of Elk Valley Sunday School.

genealogynut

I am wondering if there isn't some mistake. or if I am reading it wrong.........the bio states he had 120 acres, but yet, it further goes on to say he had 50 acres in cultivation and 110 acres were fenced.  Wouldn't a person add those two together to get the total amount of acres?  My math comes up with 160 acres, not 120.

Wilma

Perhaps the fenced 110 acres included the 50 cultivated acres.

tom_mcglashen

William McGlashen: My Great grandfather.
William McGlashens son was William Sherman McGlashen who married Katie Grace Hoffman.
They had 10 children, the youngest was Thomas Brigham McGlashen, my father, they
moved to Swink and Holly Colorado where William Sherman McGlashen worked for
the Holly Sugar Company.  William McGlashen is buried in the Prowlers Cemetary in
Colorado.  William Sherman McGlashen is buried in Vallejo California.  Katie Grace died
in Phoenix AZ, but might be buried in Colorado.  Thomas Brigham McGlashen
graduated from the University of Colorado with a degree in electical engineering and
was a Commander (Civil Engieer Corps) in the USN.
He retired in Los Gatos California.  His son is Thomas Barrie McGlashen of Los Gatos
California and Kirkland Washington.
Pictures of Holly Colorado and early Elk county and the Dunns, Hofmans, Mackay are available.
thomas mcglashen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk