1909--THE CHINA WEDDING--1929 (Fralick)

Started by genealogynut, March 19, 2007, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
November 14, 1929

Mr. and Mrs. Fralick Surprised On the 20th Anniversary of Their Marriage

Thursday, November 7th, was the 20th Anniversary of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Thos. E. Fralick and their daughter, Pauline, planned a very pleasant and successful surprise.

Mr. and Mrs. Wright invited "the bride and groom" to go for a ride as Mr. Wright had very important business (?) in Moline.  The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Fralick had assembled at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Spencer and as soon as the Wright car departed, took possession of the Fralick home and had everything in readiness and the house in darkness when they returned about 8:30 o'clock.

As the Fralicks and Wrights entered the home Mr. Fralick switches on the lights and only those present seen the expressions on their faces knew the completeness of the surprise.

After they had recovered sufficiently, they were presented with a tablefull of lovely chinaware, gifts of their numerous friends.  When they had finished unwrapping and admiring the presents, Mrs. W. L. Wade read a beautiful poem "The China Wedding," adapted from the words of an old song, and which is herewith spended:

THE CHINA WEDDING

Full twenty years have flown today,
Since we were man and wife--
And that's a tidy slice, I say,
From anybody's life.

And if we want, in looking back,
To feel how time has flown,
Now there's Pauline, a woman grown
Makes "dates" all of her opwn.

Place your hand in mine, wife,
We've loved each other true,
And still, in shade or shine, wife,
There's love to help us through.

It's not been all smooth sailing, wife--
Not always a perfect day,
Sometimes it's been a weary strife
To keep the wolf away.
We've had our little tiff's my dear;
We've often grieved and sighed,
Our ways have cost us many a tear,
And we've many times been tried

But, wife, your love along the road
Has cheered the toughest spell;
You've borne your half of every load,
And often mine as well.
I've rued full many a foolish thing
Ere well the step was ta'en;
But, oh! I'd haste to buy the ring
And wed you o'er again!

'Twas you that made me own the hand
That's working all along
In ways we cannot understand,
Still bringing right from wrong.
You've kept me brave and kept me true
You've made me trust and pray;
My gentle evening star were you,
That blessed the close of the day.

Following this the evening was spent visiting and playing some lively games, after which a delightful luncheon was served by Miss Pauline, assisted by several of the ladies and at a late hour the guests departed, wishing the Fralicks many years of happiness and success.

Those present were:  Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Elliott, Mr. and Mrs. Clay Reams, Mr. and Mrs. Sam Dolen, Mr. and Mrs, Everett Stone, Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Wade and Florine, Mr. and Mrs. Lindsey Haile and Marion, Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Wright, Emave and Ward, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Coile, Mr. and Mrs. J. C. McCurdy, Mr. and Mrs. L.H. Pittman, Graydon and Clayton, Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Elliott, Mrs. Edna Clum and Valetta, Mra. Opal Spencer, Mrs. Beulah Jordan, Mrs. A. W. Goodwin, Mrs. J. B. Allen, Mrs. Hellie Fooshee, Miss Katherine Moore, and Mr. C. C. McDiarmid.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk