1878 Map of Elk County, Kansas

Started by genealogynut, February 25, 2007, 08:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

I found this somewhere else on the "net" and thought it would be appropriate to put it on this Elk County site.  It tells where some of the older towns of that day were. What I found interesting were the towns of Canola and Greenfield----those two have been combined and is now known as Grenola.

Marcia Moore

Notice the community of Painterhood - this community is now called Busby.  The Painterhood Post Office was established in the community in August 1870 and discontinued five months later.  Then it was re-established in June 1874 and discontinued in November 1879.  In March 1884 the Amy Post Office was established in that same community.  It was replaced by the Busby Post Office in January 1885.  The Busby Post Officie was discontinued in February 1906.     

Flintauqua

Also present on this map is Bloomfield.  We always here about how Canola and Greenfield merged to form Grenola.  But in looking through the KSHS post office info, Greenfield did hold on to its post office for about two months after Canola's was moved and renamed Grenola.  However, when the post office in Boston was moved and renamed Moline on Sept. 1, 1879, the post office in Bloomfield was closed the same day!  I'm just glad I'm from Moline and not "Bosfield" or "Bloomton"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk