Time For A Change

Started by Wake-up!, July 22, 2017, 08:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake-up!

Longton had a house fire Friday, late afternoon. The fire hydrants are connected to the potable water system, so last evening residents had no water. At 8 AM the next morning my exterior faucet has a water flow of 1.7 gallons per minute. Normally it is 2.5 gallons per minute. I have to ask, why is the water pressure not normal at least 8 hours (more likely closer to 12 hours) after the hydrants were shut off?

I have other questions.
Who pays for the water used to fight fires? I assume it isn't free. I assume taxpayers pay for it.

Why does the City fight fires with treated water?

Why didn't the City keep its old water tank for fire fighting and other non-potables uses? Without access to City accounting I can only imagine that firefighting with non-treated water from the Elk River (right in Longton's back yard) would be much less expensive then fire fighting with treated water piped from the Boy Scout Reservoir. In fact, non-potable water from the old tank would be virtually free water.

I asked a friend those questions last night and was told the City's potable water and hydrants are all on the same line, and the system cannot supply water volume simultaneously for hydrant and resident use. Well, that explains the problem, sort of. I understand that was/is the cheap way to construct a city-wide water system.

But times change. Water is no longer a cheap commodity, and hasn't been for awhile. And the cheap construction didn't consider that. The cheap construction is no longer efficient. The cheap construction is now costing taxpayers.

Longton has a new water tank. Did anyone in City government consider having new lines installed with the new tank, just for potable water use? Then the City would have two water systems and be able to move forward more efficiently in the face of obviously higher and higher treated water costs down the road.

The questions remain. Did City management consider new lines with the new tank?
Did they have a cost:benefit analysis done to see just how far down the road a projected break even point might be for the taxpayers?
Did City management write a grant proposal for new water lines to go with a new tank? Did City management look for other alternative sources of funding? I know, off the cuff, new city-wide pipe sounds expensive, but remember, the new tank project included quite a few miles of pipe to get the water into Longton. So I don't think I'm suggesting something that would have doubled or tripled costs. Did the City even consider how much more it might be? And how cost effective such an investment may prove in the long-term?

I'll let the City off 'my' hook if they can clearly show they made the effort. If they didn't, and I suspect that is more true than not, then Longton needs new leadership. Elections are coming in the fall for mayor and two council seats. I do not have a clue who all is running for those positions. But it is time to give new blood a shot at making better decisions for Longton. The taxpayers deserve better decision making.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.

The greatest mistake in American history was letting government educate our children.
- Harry Browne, 1996/2000 Libertarian Party Presidential candidate

upoladeb

does this mean your running?

Wake-up!

Hmmm, Saturday evenings must be comedy time on the political forum. We could call it Political Theatre, but that term may already be taken.

NO, I am not running for anything!! I'm the guy in the back of the public meeting, on his soap box, yelling 'Nay' whenever a call for 'those opposed' is made. I'm hoping some good folks step forward to run for the council seats. I understand the mayor will be unopposed.

I suggested Jarhead run for office a while back. I was a bit serious, and a bit tongue in cheek. He hasn't responded. Maybe we could prod him from his hibernation by writing him in. (Not sure 'laws' even allow a spontaneous write-in candidate in Longton. Last that I read, at the State level, write-in candidates need to be pre-approved by a petition of sorts. Now if that doesn't just completely cross the grain of the purpose of write-in candidates, I don't know what does.)
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.

The greatest mistake in American history was letting government educate our children.

upoladeb

That is one of the problems with humans,no one wants to lead then when someone else does everyone else bitches.

Wake-up!

Yep, human nature, I suppose. We certainly can be belly-achers.

My solution (of course) is to not elect anyone as a leader. No leaders, no followers, just folks doing their own lives. Might just be liberating and enjoyable. Of course we'd need to find something new to complain about. But that shouldn't pose a problem.

Maybe I should start a campaign to vote 'no one' for all the City positions. Wonder how the powers that be would handle 'no one' having the most votes? Care to join in the campaign?

redcliffsw

Looks like the campaign donations will be rolling in.

Stay right in there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk