Former Site of Swinging Bridge Cafe, Moline

Started by W. Gray, March 14, 2017, 08:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

If one Google Earths through Moline traveling on US 160, this is what one sees on the corner of 2nd and Main.

If one turns ever so slightly onto 2nd Street this is what one sees on Google.

When did this old building come down?

Those shoring poles intended to hold the wall up, seemed like they had been there for an eternity. That window right above one of the poles looks pretty bad. The construction date was 1908.

Photo is from the Elk County history book.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

W. Gray

Thanks, I patronized the cafe a number of times when Swinging Bridge was located in the building.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

Waldo, that is my house you see in the first picture. I sure miss that old building it gave lots of shade in the summer. The old Mercantile building lost it's roof in a small severe storm we had in April three years ago. It weakened the already weak south wall, and it started tumbling down, threatening the entire back wall as well. So the building was demolished and carted away. There were any number of souvinire stones kept from that building. If you contact Connie Garmen or Lisa Townsly on Faceboof, they may be able to give you some pictures as it was coming down. BTW, the date stone from above the front door was sold at the bean feef/auction the following year. I don't know who got it.
Edie

upoladeb

wasn't  it the same storm that damaged the bank?

sixdogsmom

Yes it was the same storm; it also took my roof as well as many windows. It virtually destroyed a small house a block from here as well as a trailer home out by Murphys'. Very small storm path but viscious in the intensity and large hail. It also did a lot of damage to the museum.
Edie

W. Gray

Quote from: sixdogsmom on March 15, 2017, 05:57:02 PM
Waldo, that is my house you see in the first picture. I sure miss that old building it gave lots of shade in the summer. The old Mercantile building lost it's roof in a small severe storm we had in April three years ago. It weakened the already weak south wall, and it started tumbling down, threatening the entire back wall as well. So the building was demolished and carted away. There were any number of souvinire stones kept from that building. If you contact Connie Garmen or Lisa Townsly on Faceboof, they may be able to give you some pictures as it was coming down. BTW, the date stone from above the front door was sold at the bean feef/auction the following year. I don't know who got it.

That is a nice-looking house—right next to the Elk County Museum. I would not have thought the museum could have taken much punishment.

I was looking around and noticed that the old liquor store on Third Street beyond where US 160 turns onto Main has been replaced by another business. At least I think it was on Third. But, then it might have moved a long time ago.

The brick hatchery also seems to be gone on the outskirts or maybe I was not looking in the right place.

The church on 4th street sure looks nice after that fire of a few years ago.

The school is still looking good.

sixdogsmom

Actually Waldo, the museum is in pretty good shape right now. Those women and men have worked hard at keeping it up. One nice day just about a month ago, a group attacked the storm windows on the east side, removed then, washed and scraped them before returning them. Sure is pretty with all the new paint and new roof put on the last couple of years. Ruth Walker works hard as the historian, and I have learned lots from her. Interesting lady.

The hatchery was gone long before I came here, and that has been over twenty years now. It was a victim of fire. There is still some brick rubble though.
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk