New restaurant in Howard

Started by Jane, February 02, 2016, 07:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane

We heard thru the rumor vine, there is a new Chinese Restaurant coming into Howard. Has any one heard about this?

Jane

Frank Winn made the comment, there were only 8 people making comments on the Forum. I put a comment on here and no one even bother to answer. So I guess why should you be on here if no one is interested?

frawin

Good Morning to my favorite Jane. I saw your post about the Restaurant, we were wondering about it. The last time we were in Howard there were 3 Restaurants, we were wondering the 3 Ws, who, where and what kind it was going to be. Hope this finds you and Rex doing great. Myrna said to tell you Hello. Jane, I keep posting things, hoping it will get more people interested and Posting, we really miss all of the interesting Posts that used to be on there.

Wilma

I didn't post an answer because I didn't have an answer.  I have heard nothing about another restaurant coming to Howard.  Actually, I don't think there is a need for another place to eat.  One of our present establishments doesn't open until 11:00 AM, another doesn't serve breakfast any more.  The third opens early for breakfast, is open for lunch and dinner.  My feeling is that if what is here now doesn't feel the need to open early and stay open late, that there isn't a need for another feeding place.

frawin

Wilma, we agree with you. I think another one would hurt all of them, and you would loose one or 2 of the ones you have now. Seems to me another one would be a LOSE-LOSE Situation In looking at the Current Population Trend for Howard and Elk County, the Population continues to Decline. When the young People Graduate from High School, they either Go to Wichita or other areas and get a job, or they go off to College.

Wilma

They go off to college and don't come back.  Thank goodness that isn't true of all of them.  I can think of a lot of our business leaders that are home town people.  There just aren't enough jobs to go around for all of our young people and they have to go to the heavily populated areas to find a good paying job. 

W. Gray

The original Poplar Pizza in Buffalo, NY.

A number of years ago, there was a Busy Bee (I think that was the name) café on north Wabash, west side. I believe this was before Poplar Pizza came to town. Another café had been in the same spot previously for a short time. Busy Bee did not last long and apparently was not able to compete with Toots out on the highway.

I was surprised to see Poplar Pizza make a go of it on Wabash and was even more surprised when Sweet n Spicy located a few doors up the street and was making a go of it. I think she made a shrewd move by moving out on Highway 99.

With Howard and Elk County slowly shrinking in population, I cannot see where there would be enough business to have another restaurant come to town and there is nothing worse than eating at a Chinese restaurant where the inventory has been around awhile.

But, maybe some ambitious Chinese guy or gal could try?

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Great post Waldo. We had seen on the Forum, that there's was going to be another Restaurant in Howard. We both were really surprised, espescially considering the Current Population Trend in Howard and Elk County and Surrounding areas. If you remember I posted my Comments and Questions on the Forum. In my Opinion it would be a Mistake, if they do add one, it will NOT make it, and/or some of the others will close.

jprxmkt

I have not heard this rumor yet either.

Bullwinkle

Poplar pizza used to be great pizza. Since they opened a store in Andover it has gone downhill, with Brian focusing his attention on the Andover store and leaving his son to run the one here. Even before that the quality of ingredients suffered as well as service. I rarely go there anymore.

I've heard nothing about a Chinese restaurant. If someone wants to try, I would welcome it. I doubt it would affect any of the others to any degree. I go where I receive good service and good food, but I don't eat out that much. I can't afford it.

Connie has done a fantastic job of providing great food and great service. Karla and Matt have also done a wonderful job of turning Toot's around and I doubt anything is going to hurt either one's success.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk