The Forum

Started by frawin, January 25, 2016, 03:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Wow, I was just thinking, we are down to discussing the Weather in the Far East and Oklahoma and Guineas. Surely we can find something better than that. Maybe we could discuss the Weather in Pango, Pango, Susu land. Or how great a president OBUMA has been, no we better not discuss that. Discussing Politics can cause some serious disagreements. Diane, stay warm and safe. I hope this little bit of Humor will make everyone's day better. I was thinking how SE Kansas has had so many Bad Tornados, I remember the one in Udall in the the Mid 50s it was terrible. If memory serves right there was over 80 lives lost.Tornados are so Destructive and take so many Lives. We had a Steel safe room when we lived in Bartlesville and we have one here. Bartlesville is in the Tornado Alley and from April to October, we had lots of Tornado warnings with the Sirens Screaming. I would take Snow anytime over a Tornado.

W. Gray

There are around 45 photos of the Udall tornado at http://www.kansas.com/news/weather/tornado/article986159.html

I remember that tornado well also. The adjoining storms caused my Uncle Waldo to build a tornado shelter in the ground at his place at the foot of Chestnut Street in Howard. The house is gone but I will wager the shelter is still there.

From 75-80, I lived in Mulvane, which is right next door to Udall.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, the night of the Tornado a friend of mine whose Father was a Florist, used his Delivery Van to haul Bodies Back to Winfield. Winfield was the Closest Town of any size. They were talking the Bodies to a Big Garage, he said come on and go with me, and we can see the Bodies. I do not know why I agreed, what I saw made me sick and I really wished more than ever that I had not gone. They were Stacking the Bodies along the wall, they would put a body down, put Brown Paper on it and then stack another one on it, they were stacked 5 Or 6 high. I will NEVER forget that sight as long as I live.

frawin

Waldo I heard stories and saw Pictures of Straw going into places in Big trees. A Newsman told me that the Big Trees get twisted so much that it opens places on the trunk and the Straw goes in and the Trunk Straightens back up and the Straw is stuck there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk