Howard Grade School

Started by patyrn, January 02, 2016, 11:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

And the walls keep a-tumbling down. (taken Jan. 29, 2016)

frawin

Thanks Mom,that is a Sad thing for me, I went to School in that Building for 8 Years. I know it was past time to replace it but it still makes me sad. I know it will increase Property Tax some but it is well worth it and Having owned Property in Elk County, I find the Property Tax there is the least of any of the Places we have owned property, and that includes  3 different properties in Oklahoma and 2 Properties in Texas and Properties in New Mexico. I think the School Board and the Taxpayers are all for better School Facilities and a better education for the young People.

Mom70x7

Some more pictures - taken Feb. 3, 2016. The final front door is gone. :(

W. Gray

Is the site cleaned up yet?

Was there any indication what might go on that site, if anything?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Mom70x7

Taken on March 24, 2016

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

I wonder if anyone went over that area with a metal detector.Might have been some interesting finds.

Mom70x7

Nobody with a metal detector yet - there's still too much brick covering the ground.

However . . . as the guys, including my Jim, were tearing it down, lots of neat stuff WAS found. Most of it junk, relics of the past. Stuff was found in the rooms, of course, but also in the walls as they were exposed.

frawin

I wonder if they found a Pocket Knife I lost somewhere in that Old Grade School Building when I was in the 8th Grade in 1954. Just Kidding, I did loose one in or around it. One of my Fondest Memories of that old Building, is Peggy Spanaugle he was the Janitor and he Kept the Old Coal Furnaces going to keep us all Warm. If any of you remember him then you will remember that he called the Boys Laddies and the Girls Lassies. I went to all 8 Grades in that Old Building, it was sad to see it go, but it was way past time. Every time Myrna and I were in Howard we would Drive by it, and say it needed to be torn down before some Kids got Hurt playing in and around it. The new School Facility on the Highway is really nice, we have been in it several Times to attend the Alumni Banquets. We have owned Land in Elk County and we did not mind the Tax increases for it. Another thing, we had our 8th Grade Graduation in the old Grade School., My wife the Former Myrna Lee Buffalow, Came in From Upper Paw Paw Rural School to Graduate with us.

larryJ

Curious........was there a metal tube on the south side of the building that was probably some sort of emergency escape route?  My cousins and I would sometimes crawl up it and use it as a slide until my grandmother found out and told us to stay away from it.
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk