Today's One Thing

Started by Judy Harder, July 23, 2013, 08:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

God is with you and will help you each step of the way. 

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. —Hebrews 11:1 (ESV) 

Getting Through
"John, I just don't see how this is going to turn out good," Sue sighed as she expressed her anguish over the challenges within their family.

John had no clue how all of this chaos was going to work out, but his mind immediately went to one of his favorite Bible stories, the story of Joseph. Betrayed by his brothers and sold into slavery, Joseph's life wasn't an easy one to understand. The key was that, in the end, Joseph was in a position to save his family.

"Sue," John broke out of his thoughts, "as we pray and read our Bibles, I know God will help us through this. No matter what, He is with us and will help us each step of the way. Will you trust Him and stand with me on this?"

Decidedly, Sue grabbed his hand, "Yes, John, I will choose to trust God with you."

Today's One Thing
Surrender to God what concerns you the most today.

Going Deeper
Genesis 50:15-21, Psalm 27:1

Suggested Intentional Living Broadcast
Walk by Faith 

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Look at what Christ has done and rejoice, even if you're still waiting for your miracle.   

He answered, "Whether he is a sinner I do not know. One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see." —John 9:25 (ESV) 

Everyone's a Critic
What do you do when you come up against someone who is needlessly argumentative or rude? You'd likely react like the man in John 9.

He was being interviewed by the Pharisees about his miraculous healing from blindness. Earlier, Jesus had the audacity to heal him on the Sabbath, and the Pharisees were decidedly not happy about it. The religious leaders fixated on who Christ said He was, and how He could possibly claim to be from God, and why He does not keep the holy days like they do. "Some of the Pharisees said, 'This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath.' But others said, 'How can a man who is a sinner do such signs?' And there was a division among them." (John 9:16 ESV)

They were unable to see what was right before their eyes: the man whose life had been forever changed. Certainly, his response from today's verse was born of frustration, but it was also filled with ironic truth for the Pharisees. "Whatever you may think of Him," he said, in essence, "it doesn't matter. All I know is I have my sight. What more do you want?"

Don't be like the Pharisees. Love others, don't accuse. Kill the critic within you. See what Christ has done, and rejoice—even if you're still waiting for your miracle. Know and believe God's Word!

Today's One Thing
Make sure when people look at you or listen to you, they see or hear Jesus' love.

Going Deeper
James 3:3-12; 1 John 4:7-21

Intentional Faith with Guest Ed Stetzer 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

It's important to teach children what the Bible says about seeing one another as God sees us. 

If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well. But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. —James 2:8-9 (ESV) 

Helping Your Child Deal with Differences
Vivian walked into the kitchen carrying groceries that she'd picked up on her way home from work. Her fifteen-year-old daughter, Jessica, met her at the door. "Did you get my party invitations?" she asked.

"Yes," Vivian replied.

Jessica helped carry in the groceries and fished her invitations out of the last bag. "Thanks, Mom!" she said, kissing her on the cheek.

"I want to see the list of the girls you're inviting," Vivian called after her, as she disappeared up the stairs."

After dinner, Jessica presented her mother with her list of names. Vivian scanned them and then frowned. "I don't see Mary Kate's name."

"I'm not inviting her," Jessica said. "It's just too difficult. She won't have a good time because of her wheelchair. It's awkward."

"She's been your best friend since you girls were little...." Jessica cut her off. "Yes, Mom and she's great one on one, but in a group she just doesn't get it."

Gently Vivian responded. "I know this party is important to you. Take some time and think about the changes it could bring to your relationships—with Mary Kate—and with the other girls. Then I want you to read James 2, and see what God's Word says about choosing those with differences, rather than those without."

Teens often are unsure how to handle differences in their new social settings. It's important to teach them what the Bible says about celebrating our differences and seeing one another as God sees us.

Today's One Thing
Take some time to talk to your teen about how you've handled differences in your own life—whether that's physical, political, spiritual, cultural or some other kind of difference.

Going Deeper
James 2:1-13; Romans 14:1-4

Helping Your Kids Deal With Differences 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Do you have a co-worker that makes it nearly impossible to work with?   

If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. —Romans 12:18 (ESV) 

Impossible People
Adrianne came back from break to find her co-worker, Sean at her desk with his hands in her project as he demonstrated "a better way to get the job done." Other team members had gathered around her cubicle to watch after he popped off to no one in particular, "If she would have just asked me, I could have told her how to do this. It doesn't have to be this complicated."

She bit her lip and hung back behind the others unnoticed. She wanted to make herself as small as possible. She felt hot anger boil to the top. She was certain her face was red. She held back the tears. I will not cave to the emotion and give him the satisfaction, she thought.

Sean's constant interjection of himself into her work had become an uphill battle for months. She didn't want to run to her supervisor—instead she went home every day and asked God to help. So far she didn't see any in sight, but she tried to be patient.

Suddenly, their supervisor joined the group around her cubicle. "What's going on?" she asked. Brett said, "Well, it seems Sean has taken over Adrianne's project, again," as he scurried back to his own desk to finish his own project, and the rest of the group followed his example.

The supervisor turned to Sean. "Did Adrianne ask you for your help?" Sean shook his head no, suddenly at a loss for words. "I specifically asked for Adrianne for this project. She had a natural bent for this type of creativity and I wanted to see what she could do this time."

Sean quickly exited Adrianne's cubicle. Adrianne smiled with relief at her supervisor and took her seat. "Carry on," her supervisor said.

Coworkers can sometimes make it difficult to live peaceably with one another. No matter their agenda, God is able to make all things work together for your good and choosing to respond with love and peace opens the door for Him to do so.

Today's One Thing
Is there something you need to give to God to handle for you when it comes to difficulty in the workplace?

Going Deeper
Romans 12:9-21; Colossians 4:2-6

When Co-Workers Drive You Crazy 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

The Bible is full of people who prayed, and God answered them in life-changing ways.   

At the beginning of your pleas for mercy a word went out, and I have come to tell it to you, for you are greatly loved. Therefore consider the word and understand the vision. —Daniel 9:23 (ESV) 

Life-changing Prayer
The Word of God is full of men and women who prayed, and God answered them in life-changing ways. Take the story of Daniel, who walked and talked with God from a very young age. He trusted God to be with him every step of the way.

Daniel practiced obedience to God each day. His daily choices to pray allowed him to become intimate with God's will and His ways. It also allowed him to hear God's instruction clearly. Even when he was thrown into a den of hungry lions for refusing to go without the conversations he held with God, he knew that God would prove faithful. God saved Daniel by miraculously shutting the lions' hungry mouths!

God longs to spend time with you every day. Life is hectic and having a busy schedule can push into your prayer time with God. But when you learn to have those daily conversations with Him, you will find that it is time well spent and it allows God to show His faithfulness in your life.

Today's One Thing
What are you asking God to do through your conversations with Him? Let your time in prayer become a deeper connection today.

Going Deeper
Daniel 9:3-23; James 5:13-20

How Prayer Changed a Family 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Are you willing to be wrong? 

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. —I John 1: 9 (ESV)

Accidental Apologies 
Gary was an attorney whose practice revolved around defending people involved in automobile accidents. There was one principle he drilled into his clients' heads endlessly. "If you're involved in an accident—no matter what's happened—don't ever say 'I'm sorry.'" Saying sorry was an admission of guilt and could cause his clients to lose a case before it had begun. "Better to wait until we get into court," Gary would say, "and let the facts be presented. Then let the judge or jury decide who is truly at fault."

Meanwhile, at home, Gary noticed that his wife Sandra was increasingly short-tempered and often responded with a distinct lack of respect, even derogatorily. Soon he realized the problem: He had adopted his "never say you're sorry" policy himself, and had taken it home. For every shortcoming or failure to follow through, Gary had an excuse—another person to blame, a mitigating factor, a counterargument. But his successful workplace strategy was a disaster on the home front.

The healing of his marriage began with two simple words: "I'm sorry." That humble admission of guilt, Gary discovered, held more power than any legal brief or courtroom argument. Are you willing to be wrong in order to make things right?

Today's One Thing
If you need to, apologize to the one you love—without reservation and without commentary.

Going Deeper
Ephesians 4:25-32; Matthew 5:21-24

Love and Respect in Marriage 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

When was the last time you gave enthusiastic, overwhelming praise to God?   

And leaping up he stood and began to walk, and entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God. — Acts 3:8 (ESV)

Caught in the Act
Cripple! That's undoubtedly what people always called him—if they were kind. Most people just ignored him. Every day, he was carried to the gate of the temple, ironically called Beautiful, and left to his ugly, hopeless existence of begging. Lame since birth, he knew no other way of life. For him, even wishing he could walk seemed a waste of time.

Imagine, then, the crippled beggar's reaction when the Apostle Peter said, "I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!" (Acts 3:6 ESV) What must it have been like for him to go into the temple not only walking, but leaping and worshiping God? He was so excited, there was no way he could hold still!

The crowd noticed his exuberant praise, and when they recognized him they were totally amazed! It wasn't just the healing that caught their attention, but his unrestrained joy toward the Lord.

When was the last time you gave enthusiastic, overwhelming praise to God? Has anyone ever caught you in the act? Don't be afraid to joyfully worship the Lord because of what others may think. Be exuberant! Revel in the ways your faith in God has changed your life. Others around you will see His joy in you, and God will be glorified!

Today's One Thing
Praise the Lord for His miracles in your life, and don't worry about who's watching.

Going Deeper
Psalm 98:1-9; Acts 3:11-20; Philippians 4:4-13

How Has Faith Changed You 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Dark clouds are no obstacle to God   

Moses said to him, "As soon as I have gone out of the city, I will stretch out my hands to the Lord. The thunder will cease, and there will be no more hail." —Exodus 9:29 (ESV) 

Change of Forecast
You might offer up a prayer asking for good weather for a picnic. James H. O'Neill had bigger concerns than that. During the Battle of the Bulge in World War II, a terrible storm grounded air support and prevented reinforcements or supplies from reaching the front. The American forces were in great peril. O'Neill, Chief Chaplain of the U.S. Third Army, was asked by General George S. Patton to urge the troops to pray.

"Urge all of your men to pray," he wrote to other chaplains. "Pray when driving. Pray when fighting. Pray alone. Pray with others. Pray by night and pray by day...Pray for the defeat of our wicked enemy whose banner is injustice and whose goal is oppression." God responded to the prayers – the clouds disbursed unexpectedly, the battle was won, and the Nazi empire was soon crushed.

Scripture and history are all filled with proof that God often ends calamities in response to the prayers of His people. If you are under dark clouds today, rest assured that weather is no obstacle to God. The forecast for your life can be changed instantly ... when you pray.

Today's One Thing
Pray "without ceasing" by keeping Christ and His love for you at the forefront of your mind.

Going Deeper
Psalm 107:23-31; Mark 4:35-41

How to Keep it Together When Your Life is Falling Apart 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Be a father who will promote good behavior and maturity, not provoke.   

Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged. —Colossians 3:21 (ESV) 

Chip Off the Ol' Block
It wasn't easy. Kyle was the most stubborn child on the planet. Okay, he probably wasn't the most stubborn, though it usually seemed that way. In most things, it was his way or the highway: from the clothes he wanted to wear that day to the food he wanted for dinner that night. It was a constant battle of wills, and it was exhausting to manage as a father.

One thing always helped Keith keep perspective. He knew Kyle was a chip off the ol' block. Keith remembered how he tested his own dad—and he recalled how his father consistently responded. Yes, he was disciplined, always given a negative consequence for his poor decisions. Yet Dad rarely raised his voice, never once yelled, and never, ever cut him down verbally. Each punishment was followed by a hug and words of teaching and encouragement.

Keith smiled at the thought as Kyle's "time out" period for arguing about cleaning his room was coming to an end. He opened the door to his son's room, ready to instruct and exhort.

Fathers are given one opportunity per child to raise a kid to become a responsible adult. Don't waste that opportunity and provoke. Promote good behavior and maturity. Let your child know you care and are there to help, not hurt.

Today's One Thing
Tell your son or daughter something they do consistently well that pleases you.

Going Deeper
James 3:3-18; 1 John 2:6-17

Memories of Your Dad 

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

How warm fuzzies can jeopardize your future. 

Prepare your work outside; get everything ready for yourself in the field, and after that build your house. —Proverbs 24:27 (ESV) 

Cloud Nine Calamity
The couple entering Charles' office was so madly in love it was almost difficult to endure. As they sat down for their pre-marriage session they were cordial with the counselor, but made it clear they really didn't need the professional guidance. "Our pastor won't marry any couple unless they first have counseling," the smitten husband-to-be said confidently, "so here we are. But I think we know everything about each other there is to know." As he spoke the words, his fiancé gazed happily into his eyes as if she were in the shadow of King Arthur himself.

A few years later, Charles was thinking back on that encounter with the happy-go-lucky couple as he presided over a particularly grueling and depressing counseling session. He was trying to help salvage a marriage in which vitriolic complaints about selfishness, dishonesty, and countless irritations were flying from both sides.

The thing is, it was the same couple. Charles had tried to tell them, back then, that cloud nine was not a very substantive foundation upon which to build their relationship. They needed plans, and goals, and strategies for the future. They needed to develop their marriage with intention. And now the work required to repair the damage—if it could be repaired at all—would prove to be much more costly, time-consuming and painful.

In what area of your life are you "floating on cloud nine?" This is not the time to hit cruise control, but rather a moment to plan and prepare, so that future difficulties won't knock you down.

Today's One Thing
Think about a relationship you may be taking for granted because things are going well. What One Thing can you do to strengthen it for the future?

Going Deeper
Proverbs 24:27-34; Psalm 39:4-7

How to Avoid Romantic Chaos   

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk