East Coast Happenings

Started by Diane Amberg, March 22, 2013, 01:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Interesting Pokemon Go has hit Newark hard.young people are wandering all over the place and some are doing damage and getting hurt in  the process. Our fire house was posted as a local site and now people are showing up, and wandering in, looking for the virtual characters. Sadly, we have had to start keeping the doors down.Some are also playing behind the wheel.One doofus drove off the street and into the side of a police car. Talk about stupid.

Catwoman

Happy Late Anniversary!! :-)   :) :) :) :) :)

Diane Amberg

Hi. Thank you very much. 46 makes me feel old.

Diane Amberg

We are finally getting enough toms to do something with. We'll have plentiful green beans and cukes in a few days and have been enjoying other folks' watermelons and cantalopes.It must be summer!

Diane Amberg

The hummer family must be finished raising their babies. They are very busy at their feeder now, constantly zipping in for a drink, flying away and coming right back for more. It's funny watching the liquid blurp as it drops in the tube.I think I've spotted the two babies also.They are a little clumsy and almost no color, just kinda gray.

Diane Amberg

Last night Newark participated in "National Night Out" hosted by Newark Police and Aetna Fire. Academy St, between Main and Delaware Ave. was closed to vehicular traffic. PD set up a huge grill and cooked free hot dogs, and people wandered up and down the street. UD had their Creamery truck for super good ice cream. PD did Police Dog demos and had "drunk Goggles'' to wear while playing corn hole . Of course nobody could come even close to the hole. They also gave out "free Hugs.''
We did fire extinguisher demos and tore a wrecked car apart for a vehicle extrication demo.
The weather was beautiful, just 80 and dropping humidity. The best evening we've had in awhile. We had  most of our apparatus set up on Academy St. The kids, and many adults enjoyed climbing inside. I had the little kid's gear for them to try on and lots of photos were taken. A fun evening in downtown Newark.
We finally got our first picking of green beans today.YAY!

Diane Amberg

We have really  been enjoying watching the Olympics.The girls on the gymnastics team are fabulous.
I felt so sorry for the one rowing team that got dumped into that polluted water.Then the wind kicked up so bad they had to postpone the event.The wind apparently damaged some buildings and decorations too.
I'm never excited about the bike events, but our one girl almost got the gold until that group of three swept by her. She should still be proud of her accomplishment. I'm also happy to hear that the girl that took that awful spill will most likely be alright, even though she did have some neck injuries.
Mike P. and the team took back the relay gold medal so all is right with the world.  ;D ;D ;D. Enjoy!

Mom70x7

Sad about the rule that only two per country can compete in the all-around gymnastics. It would have been nice for Gabby to try again. Her score was higher than those from other countries. It's been an exciting Olympics so far.

We've also been following the boxer from Wichita - Nico Hernández - he won his first match and boxes again today.

Love the stories they've been showing as well: the 41-year-old gymnast, the solo entry from Romania, the rest of the story on Mike Phelps, the Refugee team.

Diane Amberg

After spending so much time enjoying the Olympics, I had to come up for air and get back to what I should be doing.I was very pleased at how well our young people did, in spite of some of the stupid stuff that sadly will be remembered forever.
The kids' fire prevention contest rule packets are in and have to be delivered to all 20 of our participating schools next week.That will keep me busy.
It's very hot here again. It's about to be an August record breaker.
The kids are moving into the dorms this weekend, so there are certain areas of Newark people should avoid, plus there are lost drivers all over the place.Its fun looking at all the out of state plates.
I can hear the UD band practicing from my house. Brings back wonderful memories.
Time to go pick tomatoes ...again.

Diane Amberg

Another beautiful day here...still too hot, but cooler temps come and go for a day and then it goes past 90 again. Now we're watching the hurricane. I have friends in Florida quite close to where it was to come ashore. Schools closed Wednesday to let folks get ready, or leave, and schools were closed yesterday indefinitely.
We are watching for some effect here too.The way it will come across, our coastline will get high winds, rains and flooding, but probably just as a tropical storm. Right here we are expecting a bit of wind and quite a bit of rain.
We have/had two parties to go to this weekend...we'll see what happens.
The hummers are stuffing themselves getting ready to leave. I hope they can tell to wait until the storm leaves.I wouldn't want them to tangle with it on their way south. Enjoy the long weekend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk