East Coast Happenings

Started by Diane Amberg, March 22, 2013, 01:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

That's a lot of work but should be fun too. Doesn't it make you wonder why so many of the old photos were never identified in the first place? I guess the people at the time the photos were taken knew who everyone was so they didn't bother and didn't think toward the future. So far most of our oldest ones have most everyone identified in at least one, so we can match them up with others.

Diane Amberg

Thanks for sending us some delightful weather at long last. 85 yesterday and 88 today. I made my first gallon of sun tea out on the back deck. The temps will drop again soon, but how nice to have some hints of what's to come.
We went back to the cemetery to bring the plants home and there were robins running all over the place. The flowering trees have all all popped so it was a nice drive.
We got all the wren houses cleaned up and the chickadees are checking them out. Sometimes they will raise a brood first.
Has anyone heard from Waldo and our Colorado friends? That's some storm they had.

Diane Amberg

Today was chilly but sunny. A nice day to get out and do some yard work.We took down small oak that sadly had to go and Al did the first grass cut just to even up things from the warmer parts of the yard to the cooler parts. Onion grass is thriving.
Yesterday I brought home some veggie and herb seeds that were on sale and picked up a few nice toms. Celebrity,Early Girl, a Roma, one jalapeno and some nice pansies that will go in big pots tomorrow. It's much too cold here to plant the toms just yet, but at least I have a few. Our true frost free date isn't until May 15. I have several more nurseries to visit to get the rest and get the peppers.
The skies will be cloud free tonight, so hopefully we'll see the auroras in the north. We'll look a little after eight and then on through the evening. I can remember seeing them many years ago from Mom's upstairs bedroom window,10 min.north of here, so they do get this far south sometimes, even this late in the spring.

Ms Bear

It was 90 here today, record highs for the first part of the week and then record lows for the latter part.  All of my trees have finally leafed out, I was getting very worried about one big old tree.

Probably won't be putting out any vegetables here, am putting the house up for sale and moving closer to my kids in Arkansas.  This 4 acres is just to much for me to take care of and no family close.  Hope to know by the end of the week if the person that is interested will give me what I want.

I do have roses blooming and the one I started from a cutting last year is still alive.

frawin

Quote from: Ms Bear on April 15, 2013, 06:41:16 PM
It was 90 here today, record highs for the first part of the week and then record lows for the latter part.  All of my trees have finally leafed out, I was getting very worried about one big old tree.

Probably won't be putting out any vegetables here, am putting the house up for sale and moving closer to my kids in Arkansas.  This 4 acres is just to much for me to take care of and no family close.  Hope to know by the end of the week if the person that is interested will give me what I want.

I do have roses blooming and the one I started from a cutting last year is still alive.

We are looking at moving back to Texas but not that far South.

Wilma

I wish we had part of that 90 degrees.  It was cold and windy here.  I don't think it knows that it is April.  The sad part is that when it does warm up it will get hot.  Of course, the cooler weather is keeping the spring flowers nice longer.  My roses are leafing out really good, but no buds yet.

Diane Amberg

The auroras missed us, but the Boston mess didn't. I had my heart in my mouth until I could verify that my friends who were there to watch and to participate were alright. So far so good. I have a number of EMS/fire friends who participate in various marathons including our little open 5k around Newark that we held last Sunday as part of our 125th anniversary events.
  Next up is an Aetna sponsored  motorcycle ride celebrating our anniversary and also raising funds for "The Warrior Project." We've sold a bunch of tee shirts so far.
Our weather is slowly improving day by day. 71 today and the tulips are starting to open...what the deer haven't eaten that is. Ms B. good luck with your buyer.

Ms Bear

There were a lot of people from the Houston area there and one from the county I live in.  He finished about 15 minutes before the blast.  He was very relieved to get back home.

That is so sad, how do you explain that to children.

Diane Amberg

I guess we have to tell kids that there are bad people out there, but then show them how wonderful the people of Boston were to jump in and be so helpful. It's a beautiful,historic, friendly city.
Had our situation not changed we would have been going back in two weeks. Where we stay is only a few blocks from where the bombs went off. I always have enjoyed the shopping ,the public park and the Swan Boats, and the Boston Commons area. I thought we were going to be able to see the America's Cup start off this summer too, but that has changed also.
Ms Bear, I'm so glad none of your locals were injured in Boston. It will take time but the terrorists will be identified.
Al finally made a very hard, sad decision. He resigned from the NCC Pension Board after 26 years service. A nasty political issue has reared it's head and he is totally disgusted. He won't play politics with people's pensions so he quit, along with three others who said enough is enough.

Ms Bear

I just heard on the local news that a young elementary student was injured in the bomb blast in Boston but her injuries are minor.

Our community has been adversely affected by politics, so sad when it affects so many people in negative way. 

We are getting a very slow rain here today, will really soak in and should do a lot of good.  The tame blackberries are getting big already, still have about two weeks before they start getting ripe.  I will have blackberry syrup in May and then blueberry syrup in June. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk