Important note to all members!

Started by Kjell H., March 21, 2013, 12:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjell H.

To every member of this forum~
Teresa and I have noticed an increasing number of posts where things are getting a little too personal. This occurs for the most part in the political section and now is occasionally running over into other threads and topics. The whining and sand box fights are happening on both sides of the aisle, and more and more are becoming involved and getting their 2 cents thrown in, in a negative manner.  As forum owners, this means we have to spend time being babysitters to a bunch of sand throwing "adults". And frankly, I'm not liking it much.

I realize that politics can become personal and very emotional. Heck, I deal with this every day in my job, so I DO understand!  I also feel frustrated and emotional many times on issues and the personality's surrounding them.  I also realize that some individuals spend most of their social life online either by being themselves or living out a different persona simply for entertainment value, which also includes stirring the pot. Then when the pot starts boiling over, they stand back and cry foul. I also realize that if you clash with a certain person or personality,  anything they say can get under your skin. But we ARE adults!  Each of us need to filter through all this and sometimes, as hard as it may be, simply ignore the people who get under our skin. There are those that nitpick and jab ..and there are those that continually whine and play victim.. BOTH are detrimental to what this forum was supposed to be about. I built it and gave it to this county to be used for a fun and informative place to share, gather, debate, talk and find out what is happening on a local level and a national level. We have had many people tell us that without this forum, they would never have been properly informed of what is happening in and behind the scene in our community and county. We also have people telling us that it is getting way too serious and cut throat, and the bickering and whining has driven them away.
Please.........
Regardless of differences on topics, please NO PERSONAL ATTACKS ON A PUBLIC FORUM! Post what you want in the manner you want and debate, argue, disagree...but leave all the slander and personal name calling and the "you said it to me so I'm going to say it back to you" crap out of here.

Do not make personal attacks anywhere on our forum. Comment as much as you want on content, but not on the contributor. Personal attacks do not help make a point; they only hurt our community and deter users from reading and posting. I don't like to do this but I will. Derogatory comments about another contributor may be removed by any moderator. Repeated or egregious personal attacks may lead to blocks or banning of all parties involved or in the worst case, closing the entire forum.

Thank you,
Kjell H
Marshal Halloway

larryJ

Kjell, well played, well played.  It is sad that things get too personal and it is for that reason I stay away from the Politics thread.  I think your idea of banning or moderating individuals is fantastic and will help bring this forum to what it is supposed to be, as you said a place to learn and communicate.  I so enjoy hearing about Elk County and its people.  You certainly have my vote on whatever moves you make.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Judy Harder

I have noticed when things get hot and angry and Kjell jumps in things........tempers......will cool down for a long time and then someone must throw a fire cracker into the mix and again off we go.

There are voices I stay away from........would rather listen to the neighbors fight........doesn't happen, but you get my message. Thanks Kjell for stepping in. God bless.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Warph

Wha... uh...that.. mmmmm... Obu... hmm... democr ... uhmmh...
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Bullwinkle

Well, someone isn't waiting to throw firecrackers this time. I have been guilty of getting "personal" , but not unprovoked, though I apologize to those forum members who took offense.

Teresa

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Bonnie M.

Bonnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk