Gardening

Started by Growit1, February 12, 2013, 03:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delbert

Finally got everything planted except pumpkins.   Sure nice to get the rain.  I use pond water to irrigate but natures way is better.  Had to replant several tomatoes as I had frost May 16th morning plus some ice in the garden hose.

Warph

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Catwoman

Love it!!!!!  You always find the most interesting stuff!!!  :D

Wilma

ATTN!!!  You flower and plant experts.  I need help.

I am attaching two photos of a flower that just bloomed on my patio.  When we bought the plant, it was labeled as some kind of sage.  I have lost the label.  The leaves do have a slight sage fragrance when crushed but what surprised me were the red flowers that showed up last week.  I know they resemble the cardinal flower, but I don't think that is what it is.

If two photos don't accompany this, the second photo will be in the next post.

Wilma

Here is the other one.

sixdogsmom

There are a gazillion different kinds of sage Wilma. I bought a book awhile back that is nothing but sages. pretty interesting book. BTW, your sage is very pretty! I have a large red sage that si in bloom right now. Love it!  :D :D
Edie

Bullwinkle

Have been enjoying the rain, of course that means dealing with the mud as well. I for one am not going to complain. The hay fields and pastures are doing great, as are the weeds, though they are called forbes by the environmental biologists and serve their purpose. One brome field is almost tall enough to cut.

It has been a bit difficult working in the garden and the cool temperatures have been a bit hard on things like eggplant, but we have harvested radishes, asparagus and lettuce. A couple of the cabbages are already ready to harvest. Have gotten some strawberries from new starts ! Had to replant some corn and beans. Even with the cool weather, the bugs have also been at work. Potato bugs, aphids, fruit worms eating on the green tomatoes, oh well.

Hope all of your gardens are doing well.

Delbert

Not sure if any of my tomatoes will make it.  All have some yellow leaves.   Should have planted them on a hill.  My garden is too flat.  Grass and weeds have taken over my watermelon patch.

Delbert

Have been getting many tomatoes of course it has been a month late or so.    Had one of my better cantaloupe and watermelon crops.     Still getting several watermelons.   I had a moon and stars melon that weighed 42 pounds.  They have little yellow specks on them like stars and some have a larger yellow spot like the moon.   My favorite is crimson sweet.   Have a bunch of pop corn.   Have an electric fence up but thought the coons wouldn't eat the hard kernels and had the power off for a few days but they still liked it.   Now I have the fence expanded to cover all of the garden as I have sweet corn and more popcorn coming on.   Have three kind of radishes and turnips up and going. 

Diane Amberg

It sounds like you have had a very good garden after all.
I can't grow corn here because of the 'coons and I'm too cheap to install an electric fence.  HA! Mine has been good and is coming to it's natural end. I should chop and freeze some more sweet peppers and jalapenos and can up some more toms. Good gardening to you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk