Just a quick Survey...

Started by Varmit, December 07, 2012, 02:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

Reposted from the Coffee Shop
Seeing as how some people don't go into the Coffee Shop, I'd thought I would repost this here as well.

I was wondering how many more people would attend the Elk County Commissioners meetings, if those meetings were scheduled at a time when most folks were not at work?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Patriot

First, thanks for opening this up in Politics. It's not so much that people don't go to the Coffee Shop, but rather that some who are particularly interested, informed or involved in political matters become lightening rods in there, and topics quickly derail.

The county, after much urging, did set thing up to have 1 meeting per quarter at a later time.  The 1st of those meetings had a larger than average turnout.  Not so, since then.

Personally, I would like to see all meetings outside the 'normal' workday.  So many of our citizens work outside the area, attendance during the workday is costly... or impossible.  I know that some department managers might complain, but I would prefer to see the meetings well promoted and held on Saturday afternoon.  Department reports could be dispensed with quickly and most staff could leave (or stay 'off the clock' as visitors).  Then, old & new business could be conducted & the public forum held.  My personal opinion is that the status quo is representative of much of the way county operations work... tail wagging dog as a result of terribly weak management & leadership skills at the top..  But, I could be wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, the county board is the only elected body in Elk Co. that meets mid-day during the week.  Don't all towns & school boards meet in the evenings?

On a related note, I noticed the comment Wilma made elsewhere regarding the lack of educated or capable people to fill elected offices in Elk County.  Not sure, but I think there's another pretty big factor:  The "I couldn't be bothered" factor. Apathy is rampant.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Varmit

Patriot, your welcome! And you're right about some of the conversations in there, samething happens in here all the time. 

I agree with you on the scheduled time.  In my opinion, as well as some other folks I have talked to, the current schedule is purposely set up to minimize attendance.  Frankly, there is no other explanation for it that makes sense.  It seems that if our commissioners really wanted public input then the meetings would be scheduled at a more convient time.  I can't speak for everyone, but that is why I don't attend.  Its not becasue I don't want to, but because I am working.  I like your idea of Saturday meetings. 

Quote from: Patriot on December 07, 2012, 03:43:14 PM
On a related note, I noticed the comment Wilma made elsewhere regarding the lack of educated or capable people to fill elected offices in Elk County.  Not sure, but I think there's another pretty big factor:  The "I couldn't be bothered" factor. Apathy is rampant.

Unfortunately, that does seem to be the case.  But I wonder if it is really so simple. Do you think that "apathy' is due to people not really knowing what is going on, or a mis-placed sense of trust towards our county officals? Or do you think that people really just don't care?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Patriot

Quote from: Varmit on December 08, 2012, 06:16:35 AM
It seems that if our commissioners really wanted public input...

When the discussion of meeting times and 'town halls' came up last year, Mr. Liebau clearly said he wasn't interested because he/they didn't want to hear all the 'bitching and complaining from the public'.  His words, not mine.

Quote from: Varmit on December 08, 2012, 06:16:35 AM
Do you think that "apathy' is due to people not really knowing what is going on, or a mis-placed sense of trust towards our county officals? Or do you think that people really just don't care?

Based on personal observation and conversation with others....Yes.  Yes.  And Yes.  Much like the national scene.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Janet Harrington

I would totally like to see the meetings during off-hours. I would attend every single one if they were in the evening or on a Saturday afternoon. Bet it won't happen, though.

Varmit

Okay,....well...I have an idea.  Let me say first, that I don't like these things any more than the next guy....but...I think this might be an appropriate situation so...what about starting a petition?  Granted, they are over used and there seems to be one for just about everything under the sun.  However, by showing our commissoners that "we the people" (i know sounds cheesy) would like the times changed, and using perhaps just a little reminder that they work for us, then they might start to feel a little pressure to change the time.  Any thoughts?

Granted, I understand their (mainly commissioner Liebeau) stance on the issue.  I say Mr. Liebeau, because I haven't had the chance to talk to Mr. Ritz or Mr. Hebbs about it yet.  I didn't mention Mrs. Hendricks because she will be replaced.

Bullwinkle

A lot of people along the way have not adopted the sense of service of any kind to their community or their country, to the extent our parents and grandparents did. I must admit I have not done all that I can either.

That, to me , is the biggest problem.

redcliffsw

You have not raided the community treasury have you?

If not, then you're doing good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk