This and That...

Started by Warph, September 04, 2012, 01:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Medicaid Paid $12M For Illinois Dead

(They are still on the voter registrations roles and voting)
Via Town Hall

The Illinois Medicaid program paid an estimated $12 million for medical services for people listed as deceased in other state records, according to an internal state government memo.

The memo dated Friday, which The Associated Press obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request, says the state auditor compared clients enrolled in the Medicaid database last June with state death records dating back to 1970. Auditors identified overpayments for services to roughly 2,900 people after the date of their deaths.

The heads of the departments of Healthcare and Family Services and Human Services, the two state agencies involved with Medicaid payments, outline steps to fix the problem in the memo to their senior staffs.

The memo states that more than $7 million has been recovered and the rest is expected to be recouped by year's end.

Sen. Dale Righter, a Republican from Mattoon and the Senate GOP's point person on Medicaid reform, said the finding was further evidence that Democrats' arguments that they have done all they can to clean up the Medicaid rolls is "empty rhetoric."

"It's disappointing and somewhat enraging for taxpayers, but it's not surprising," Righter said. "I wish this administration would spend more time trying to solve the problems rather than trying to convince taxpayers that they've already solved them."

Gov. Pat Quinn's office didn't immediately respond to phone and email messages seeking comment.

Republicans have pressed for the state to use a private company to verify Medicaid eligibility. Maximus Health Services was hired to scrub state Medicaid rolls following 2012 Medicaid-reform legislation. Republicans have said the company was achieving a Medicaid eligibility-removal rate of 40 percent.

But the contract between the company and Gov. Pat Quinn ended last year, and the work was shifted to state employees, after the state's largest public-employee union objected and an arbitrator ruled the contract should end.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Pope Francis Calls For End Of Attacks On Christians In Islamic Countries In Easter Message

(Amen)

VATICAN CITY (AP) — Marking Christianity's most hopeful day, Pope Francis made an Easter Sunday plea for peace and dialogue in Ukraine and Syria, for an end to terrorist attacks against Christians in Nigeria and for more attention to the hungry and neediest close to home.

Well over 150,000 tourists — Romans and pilgrims, young and old — turned out for the Mass that Francis celebrated at an altar set up under a canopy on the steps of St. Peter's Basilica.

So great were their numbers that they overflowed from sprawling St. Peter's Square, which was bedecked with row after row of potted daffodils, sprays of blue hyacinths and bunches of white roses. Waving flags from the pope's native Argentina as well as from Brazil, Mexico, Britain, Poland and many other countries, they also filled the broad boulevard leading from the square to the Tiber River.

Easter is the culmination of Holy Week and marks Christian belief that Jesus rose from the dead after his crucifixion.

Francis noted that this year the Catholic church's celebration of Easter coincided with that of Orthodox churches, which have many followers in Ukraine.

Francis prayed that God would "enlighten and inspire the initiatives that promote peace in Ukraine, so that all those involved, with the support of the international community, will make every effort to prevent violence."

Francis also prayed that all sides in Syria will be moved to "boldly negotiate the peace long awaited and long overdue." Syria has been wracked by a three-year civil war that has cost 150,000 lives and forced millions to flee the country.

Christians make up about 5 percent of Syria's population. In comments to mark Easter there, the Greek Orthodox patriarch vowed that Christians there "will not submit" to extremists who attack "our people and holy places."

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Report: Black Congressman Accused Clinton White House Of Racially Profiling Him

(But... but... but I thought Willy C. WAS black.  Sounds like actual profiling, but will we hear the calls of racisssst? Of course not, Progressive Democrats problem with race. 
Media, clean up, aisle 4!)
Via Breitbart:
A prominent black member of Congress and a longtime civil rights leader accused the Clinton White House of racially profiling him when he tried to meet Vice President Al Gore in 1993.

As documents the Clinton Library released on Friday revealed, an October 5, 1993, memo noted that the Secret Service asked Rep. Louis Stokes (D-OH) "for identification, although his white driver was not."

Stokes, who served in Congress for 30 years and was a Clinton ally on domestic initiatives, was "understandably furious."

"Furthermore, before Rep. Stokes was allowed in the gate, a K-9 detail searched his car," the memo said. "Rep. Stokes is understandably furious and believes the search to be racially motivated."

White House officials, according to the memo, "spoke at length" with David Watkins, the White House director of administration, about the matter.

"David has taken steps to insure that in the future members of Congress driving into the White House will be admitted expeditiously and will be treated with respect," the memo stated.

--Warph

-- Warph

Ross

Michele Fiore
Capsizes
Chris Hayes
Boat
IMHO
Good Job Lady.

Chris Hayes Clashes with Michele Fiore
Over Cliven Bundy -
' Will Not Allow Governance by Gunpoint '

Warph

10 Things to Know for Monday

April 21, 2014 (AP)

Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about MONDAY.... YECK!:

1. FESTIVE BOSTON MARATHON ATMOSPHERE TINGED WITH SADNESS
"It's sadness, but it's also a kind of fortitude," says Scott Johnson, who will run in Monday's race one year after bombings killed three and injured 260 there. "Two people created the violence, but millions counter it with love and support."

2. WHAT MAY HAVE ADDED TO S. KOREA FERRY CONFUSION
Many passengers followed the captain's initial order to stay below deck, where it is feared they remained trapped in the sinking.

3. WHERE SHOOTOUT THREATENS FRAGILE PEACE
In eastern Ukraine, an armed clash that left three people dead apeared to be the first violence since an international deal was reached to ease tensions there.

4. BOXER WHO FOUGHT INJUSTICE DIES AT 76
Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, exonerated of murder charges after 19 years in jail, died in Toronto.
5. WHOSE POLITICAL FUTURE MAY HANG IN THE BALANCE
A grand jury will consider whether Texas Gov. Rick Perry abused his power when he carried out a threat to veto $7.5M in state funding for public corruption prosecutors.

6. ASSAD VISITS RECAPTURED CHRISTIAN VILLAGE
The embattled Syrian president's tour of Maaloula served as a propaganda victory amid the country's civil war.

7. WHY BIOFUELS COULD BE WORSE THAN GAS
Fuels made with leftovers of corn plants release 7 percent more greenhouse gases in the short term than conventional gasoline, according to a U.S.-government-funded study.

8. IN COLO., '4/20' POT HOLIDAY TRIES TO GO MAINSTREAM
What started as a defiant gathering of marijuana activists years ago now has an official city permit, since the state legalized recreational use of the drug.

9. LAND GRABS IMPERIL AFRICA'S ELEPHANTS
Political and military elites are seizing protected areas in one of the continent's last bastions for elephants, a nonprofit group's new report says.

10. LEBRON, WADE DROP 50 ON CHARLOTTE
The Heat rode two big runs to defeat Bobcats 99-88 in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference first-round series.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Barack ObUma Marks Easter With A Picture of . . . Barry ObuttHead
(Did anyone not see this post coming?)
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Navy Dad Dresses Up As Easter Bunny To Surprise Daughter

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

The Left's Hypocritical Tolerance

by David Risselada

The left uses the word tolerance as one of its most effective weapons. Employing the Alinsky tactic of using an opponent's values against them, they have conditioned society to believe that any opposition to their left wing agenda is "intolerant," and, therefore, it should be rejected. It has proven to be a very effective tactic as often times; any discussion can be immediately stopped in its tracks or discredited with accusations of not caring about the issue, or being "against" something the left claims to care about. They have a way of making their positions, no matter how ludicrous, seem legitimate.

For instance, the government found a way to connect "global warming" with racism, in an effort to make those that suggest exhaling carbon dioxide does not require communist government run our lives, appear "intolerant." They have pushed this idea to such a ridiculous "extreme," they are trying to convince people that whites breath cleaner air that non-whites. This shows little more than an act of all out desperation on the part of a government that is attempting to assume control of every aspect of our lives; and yet somehow, through the use of the word "intolerant," these ridiculous ideas find themselves being forced upon us.

I have to question the intelligence of people who try to label those who have opposing views as being "intolerant" or "extremist's," when the act of doing so displays a level of intolerance they claim is "unacceptable."  I also have to question the motives of a government who accuses its own citizens of being "terrorists" while they use the full power of government to force people into compliance with an ever increasingly powerful police state. The Southern Poverty Law Center, for example, has just called all those supporting Clive Bundy "extremists," while Harry Reid is referring to them as "domestic terrorists." This, in my opinion, not only represents the height of hypocrisy, but as I expressed in a recent op-ed, it is the ultimate betrayal against all who have defended liberty as well.

The truth is, it is the intolerance of the left being levied against those who oppose their radical views that are causing the major problems in America today. All of this is a psychological ploy designed to get you, a rational, thinking being, to accept the irrational. While the government is employing its full force of armed troops, in an effort to scare the one remaining rancher in the area off his land, they are calling you a terrorist for opposing it. They are trying to prove you are intolerant, by not "tolerating" your view point and labeling you as an extremist.

Nothing the left is doing makes any sense, and the only way they can get any agenda item passed is if they know people are not paying attention. They will do anything to discredit anyone who opposes their plans of centralized government power. I have put a lot of thought into this and in my opinion, labeling anyone as being "intolerant" to their agenda is one way to silence them. It is the only thing that explains how people can be conned into believing exhaling carbon dioxide, or cow farts, for that matter, is a cause of global warming. How tolerant is the left when they demand that global warming deniers be jailed for denying their false science? 

More and more people are awakening to the fact that our government is resorting to oppressive, draconian tactics to force us into compliance with a left wing worldview. The more we question their motives and the more we stand for our rights, the more oppressive they become. They are desperately trying to hide their lies and deception by projecting their corruption on the rest of society. They are attempting to create a world in which the majority of people believe we cannot live without their guidance, and that anyone who disagrees with them is a potential terrorist. This is the real extremism that people should be concerned about. Any government that calls me an extremist for disagreeing with them is anything but "tolerant," and is, in fact, displaying the highest level of intolerance and contempt for the rights and liberties of those who have entrusted them to govern. If people will accept that the government can surround one man with 300 armed troops, over the lies that have been told, while real criminals and real terrorists are getting away with real crimes, then we are further gone than even I want to admit.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

DNC Chief Wasserman Schultz:
ObuttHead Delaying Keystone Decision Until After Midterm Elections
Not Political

(Safe to say even she doesn't believe this)

Via Washington Examiner:
Democratic National Committee chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz on Sunday dismissed the potential political impact of a delayed decision on the Keystone XL pipeline, calling it a "complex" decision that will need to be carefully weighed.

The State Department, which has been reviewing the environmental impact of a proposal to build an oil pipeline from Canada to refineries along the Gulf Coast, announced this week that it would postpone its decision on whether to approve the project.

Some Republicans who support the project accused Democrats and the White House of purposefully pushing back a ruling until after this year's midterm elections — but Wasserman Schultz attempted Sunday to dismiss such a notion.

"The decision over the Keystone pipeline is complex and it has to be examined very carefully," Wasserman Schultz said on NBC's "Meet The Press." "It affects multiple states."

Because of the weight of the issue, Wasserman Schultz said, she wants "to make sure the right decision is arrived at and the president makes that decision carefully and doesn't put politics in his decision."

"[President Obama] has to continue to take a close look at it," she added. "The environmental concerns are legitimate."

--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk