Busby Cemetery Transcriptions

Started by genealogynut, December 09, 2006, 03:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyboy

Next to my ggrandparents stones there is a huge peony bush. This past summer we were up there and looked inside. It looks like there was a stone there at one time but we didn't see anything but a base. Any idea of how to find out whether someone is buried there and their name?

Scotty

ddurbin

Tice Family information:
As promised, here's additional info on the Tice family members buried in the Busby Cemetery.
1. William Tice is Solomon William Tice, born in Washington County, Ohio on 13 Sept., 1848.  He died in Missouri.
2. Ellen E. Tice was Solomon William's wife.  She was Ellen Elizabeth Morris, born in Fayette Co., Illinois on 30 Oct., 1852.  They married in Wilson Co. on 26 Dec., 1872.
3. George W.(William) Tice was a son of this couple, born in Thayer, Neosho Co., KS on 8 March, 1881.  He died in Longton 21 Feb, 1944 and I find no evidence that he ever married.
4. Eva Frances Tice was a daughter of this couple also.  She was born 31 Dec., 1896 and died 14 June, 1957.  My notes say she was severely crippled and also never married.
5. P. B. Tice was Philip B. Tice, born Dec 12, 1843 in Washington Co., Ohio.  He was a brother of Solomon William.  Their parents were George M. and Cynthia Ann (Miller) Tice.  P. B. was married 3 times.
6. Mary Ann Tice was Mary Reece.  She was the wife of C. W. (Charles Wesley) Tice, who was a son of P. B.'s

Solomon William and Philip B. also had a sister Julia who came with them to Elk County.  She married Frederick Hainlin.  Frederick and Julia were my g-grandparents and I'll post more about them later.  They lived in Longton and are buried in that cemetery.

Wilma and Janet, if you're reading, this is mainly for you.  Philip B. also had a son named Jesse William, born 12 Aug, 1887.  In the 1920 census, he is listed in  Cutler township, Franklin Co, KS as J W Tice.  His wife is listed as K A and they have 5 children:  Thelma, 12; Audry, 10; Frank, 8; Harvard, 5; and Abbie J, 4 months.  Also listed in the household is Robin Bucher, age 16.  Looks like we're related--although very distantly.  If you want to discuss the Tice family in more detail, let me know. 

In separate posts, I'll add newspaper obits of Philip Tice and Mary (Reece) Tice. 

Wilma

Thank you, thank you, thank you, DDurbin.  You have answered a question that I have had for a long time and no one could tell me.  Jesse's wife K A was Kittie Ann Bucher.  Their oldest child, Thelma was my mother-in-law.  The Robin Bucher in the household was Kittie's brother.   He was quite a bit younger than Kittie as at least 2 sibling between them had died at a young age.

After all that information, there is still one question.  The family says that there was an Osage Indian in the family.  Do you know anything about this?

Wilma

In ddurbin's information about Jesse Tice:  The son listed in the census as Harvard was known to us as Howard.  This might help someone that is interested in him.

Marcia Moore

I talked to Alleine Cannon about the Busby Cemetery.  She said the old records were lost in a fire years ago.  She also said there have been at least three others buried in the Busby Cemetery since this list was made, two of which were a Mr. and Mrs. Leewright.  (Does anyone know their full names and birth and death dates?)  She couldn't think of any of the other(s) names buried there since the list was made.  She said the cemetery board consists of Kelsey Cody, Harold Cannon and Joe Thomas.  Also, there were several other stones in the cemetery at one time that someone stole. 

genealogynut

I checked the SSDI for Leewright in KS, and came back with two hits.  But that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same people that are buried in the Busby cemetery.  The first hit was a Kenneth Leewright b. August 1, 1909  (d) Sept. 1984.  His last known residence was Sycamore, Montgomery Co., KS  The second hit was Maude M. Leewright  (b) October 11, 1909  (d) April 13, 1998.  Her last known residence was Neodesha, Wilson Co., KS.  But with these dates, a person could try to locate an obit and see if it tells where they are buried.

I do remember when I was in school there was a girl that was a couple years older than I and her name was Lillias Leewright, but I do not know the names of her parents, or remember just where she lived, but I do know it was somewhere in the country.

Marcia Moore

Its possible that Kenneth and Maude could be the two Leewrights that are buried there, as both of their deaths occurred after the Busby Cemetery transcriptions were read.   Also, since Kenneth and Maude were both the same age, they may have been man and wife.

ddurbin

Found a family tree on Ancestry that does show that Kenneth R. Leewright and Maude Marie Grow were husband and wife, married on July 15, 1933.  Also lists Kenneth's burial site as Longton and Maude's as Busby Cem.  I'm guessing they are both actually in Busby.  Haven't seen anything yet that would necessarily tie either of them to that area.

frawin

The Leewrights you are talking about lived and farmed near Busby, I went to school with 4 of their children, Walter, Robert, Jim and Elizabeth.

patyrn

Their younger daughter, Lillis Leewright, also went to high school in Howard, probably graduating in 1963.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk