A. Crismas (biography)

Started by genealogynut, December 07, 2006, 02:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Taken from History of the State of Kansas, by William G. Cutler

A. CRISMAS, farmer, P.O. Howard, was born in Surrey, England, in 1820.  Was raised in Kent County emigrating to America in 1844, locating in Toronto, Canada, where he remained until 1856.  Thence to Buffalo, N. Y., and the following spring migrated to Iowa, locating in Howard County, where he remained until 1871, or about fourteen years. In 1871, came West, locating  in Howard County, Kan., and located a claim in Howard Township. After remaing (sic) on the place four years, sold out and purchased a farm on Section 12, Township 30, Range 11, consisting of 240 acres situated on Hitchin Creek. His place has forty acres of fine timber, two coal mines with four- inch veins, plenty of living water, 110 acres in cultivation, fine residence and other buildings and he is extensively engaged in stock-raising.  Is one of the leading men of the township and a No. 1 citizen in every respect.  Was married in 1847 to Miss Catharine Welch, of Toronto, Canada. They have ten children -- J.W., Jane, Mary A., William J., Ellen M., George, Harriet, Agnes A., and A. A.  He is a member of Elk County Horticultural Society.

genealogynut

I don't know if this guy had one too many nips on the ole bottle or what.  He said he had 10 children, but only 9 are listed.

The only Living Water I've ever heard about refers to the spiritual aspect.  In transcribing, I was thinking "Is there a "dead" water?  ???

And how can a person living in Howard County, "come West" and still be in Howard county?

Wilma

I typed in "Living Water" and the computer found me this: 

"Living Water 

Vicktor Schauberger, also known as the "Water Wizard" discovered that water in its natural state has a livingness, or vitality that is lost when transported in pipes.  This "living water" is found in the healing waters around the world in such places as Lourdes, Chalice Well, and famous spas, giving these waters their healing properties. etc."

I think that the term was used long ago to indicate springs or running water.  My 1903 Atlas shows that Sec. 12, Twp. 30, Rge. 11 is 6 miles east and 1 mile south of Howard and that Hitchin Creek runs through it north to south, just slightly to the east of center, putting it in the east half of the section.  The south half of the east half of that section was owned at that time by Wm. Strachan and the north half of the property was owned by F. M. Jones.

The map indicates that Hitchin Creek was a good sized waterway that joined Elk River east of Longton.

genealogynut

Thanks, Wilma!  :)  I learned something new today.  Now.......if I can just remember. :( 

Janet Harrington

He came west from Howard County, Iowa, to Howard County, Kansas.

genealogynut

Thanks, Janet.  If I would have went back and re-read the bio, that would have been very obvious.  It sounds like I was the one nipping on the bottle, instead of the author! :laugh: I'm beginning to wonder about myself.

Janet Harrington

Well, let me tell you.  I had to read it twice to figure it out and I also know that there is a Howard County in Iowa.   :laugh:

Mom70x7

Ok, I'm curious - how do you know about Howard County, Iowa?

I lived mostly in southern and central Iowa, but we vacationed up that way a couple of times.

Janet Harrington

I think through my law enforcement career.  Also in some of my research about our sheriffs.  Alot of our first citizens came from Howard County, Iowa.

Jody

My great grandfather forgojot one of his daughters [theresa]  Tess

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk