Remember When

Started by W. Gray, April 26, 2012, 09:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Speaking of military utility or fatigue uniforms: while I was assigned to Fort Ord California (now closed) in the mid-sixties, that post had a policy of everyone in garrison wearing the fatigue uniform every day. Class A uniforms were limited such as for the military police, but they reverted to fatigues when off duty.

Fort Ord had an additional apparel requirement that I have never seen anywhere else in the army.

The post required that an ascot tie be worn with the fatigues. The ascot was commonly called a scarf by the troops. Below the chin there was a white tee shirt (later olive drab) area showing. Fort Ord dictated that this area be covered with the ascot tie; no part of the white tee shirt could show.  

Each troop wore an ascot in the color that was the official color of his Army branch. For instance, the 7th Cavalry was stationed at Fort Ord and they wore a bright yellow scarf. Infantry types wore a powder blue scarf, artillery types wore a bright red scarf, military police wore a bright green, medical personnel wore maroon, signal corps wore orange, finance wore light gray, etc.

Well pressed fatigues, polished combat boots, and an ascot tie made for a nice looking utilitarian uniform.

Fort Ord was unconventional in another way. Other army posts had their acres and acres of World War II buildings painted a subdued yellow. Fort Ord buildings were painted a light but bright shade of green.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

jarhead asked me quite some time ago to post this picture of him and his brother, Steve. jarhead said, "Here's one for ol Warph to let him know he was not the only one that was in Da Nang. I got  to visit my brother Steve for 3 days at Red Beach, near Da Nang for 3 days but after their lines got hit my 2nd night there I think he was glad to see me and my "bad luck" go back up north to the DMZ. Yes, I'm the short, grungy one."

Anyway, I want to apologize to jarhead because I did not see this email until today when I was cleaning up my emails.

So, okay, folks, here is our one and only "jarhead" a couple of years (LOL) ago.

Janet Harrington

I just can't believe that no one has made a comment on jarhead's picture. What the heck?

jarhead

Maybe it's best they don't Janet. I can hear Teresa now saying how handsome Steve was but where did he get the cur dog standing beside him

Janet Harrington

Well, I think you were both cuties, so there.

Wilma

Janet, your eyes must be as bad as mine.  Cuties?

Bullwinkle

OK, I'll bite. " What's with the Elvis hairdo? " Not very high and tight for a Devil Dog .

jarhead

Bullwinkle,
Kinda hard to maintain a spiffy look after being out in the bush for 54 continues days---and nights

greatguns

Both, pretty good lookin' fellows!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk