Silver Cleaner and Polish

Started by Ms Bear, November 12, 2011, 01:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ms Bear

I need to know how to clean silver and polish it.  Homemade or a good one I can buy.

Does anyone have a favorite one that they recommend?

sixdogsmom

Toothpaste works really well, usually on hand, and the cheaper brands don't cost much.
Edie

Diane Amberg

Plain white toothpaste does work well. Rub on, rinse off,buff. Some people soak their flat ware in milk to cover for 20 Min,then rinse and dry.  I've tried the aluminum foil, hot water, baking soda and salt soaking trick and it does work, but leaves the silver too "white bright" for my taste. I usually use plain old pink Gorham Silver Paste in the jar unless I'm out of it.

Ms Bear

Thank you both, I used baking soda and it worked but took a lot of time.

I did some research for a man this week and he gave me an antique silver cigarette case with a little information and told I could have it and hoped I would see what I could find out about it.  Oh my, I have had so much fun.  Had a grandson's name and the grandparents name.  I have found marriage record for them, when and where they were buried and then found them on the Census in 1850 and 1860.  He died in 1862 and she died in 1902.  He bought it for her sometime before he died in 1862 so it is over 150 years old.

I will cherish this and am so glad I have internet.

upoladeb

in a glass cake pan,lay a piece of aluminum foil,add a heaping tablespoon of baking soda add some boiling water to be able to cover your item and add the item let set till clean then rinse in cold water and buff.I would practice on some old spoons or such.Got that idea from my Mom.

Diane Amberg

That works very well, but it's too "white" for some folks.Very brilliant with no patina.

farmgal67357

Yeah, I only do that if something is REALLY dirty. I found a beautiful silver tray at a rummage sale for a buck. It was totally black with tarnish. After a lot of elbow grease, it came out looking not half bad and I sold it on ebay for $30! Ya never know..... ;D
Lisa
Lisa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk