In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley

Started by Judy Harder, July 05, 2011, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Answers in Times of Great Disaster

Deuteronomy 29:29

Almighty God reserves the right to reveal some things and conceal others. Although we may not know why natural disasters occur, the biblical truths we do know with absolute certainty allow us to trust the Lord even in times of great suffering. These include:

1. God is in control (Ps. 103:19). Nothing in heaven or on earth is outside of His rule and authority. He does not react to events but sovereignly ordains or permits them to run their course. Although we cannot know for certain if He has sent a catastrophe or allowed it, we can trust in His goodness and wisdom.

2. The Lord loves people and wants them to be saved (John 3:16-17). Giving His Son for the salvation of the world proves without a doubt that He loves each person. This truth stands firm despite the fact that many reject the Savior. He cares for us, even when we can't feel it or won't accept it.

3. God ordains or permits events for His good purpose (Isa. 46:10). Though we cannot fully comprehend what He is doing in each incident, every disaster is a wake-up call for humanity. He is alerting us of the need to repent—so the lost can be saved and the saved can be revived to live totally for Him. Catastrophes open our ears to hear from the Lord.

The One who loves us perfectly is in full control, working everything out according to His good purpose. Knowing this should fill us with hope, even in the midst of crisis situations. The Lord even promises to turn disaster to good for those who "are called according to His purpose" (Rom. 8:28).

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

A Thirst for God

Psalm 63:1-8

A personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ has the potential to be more intimately satisfying than any earthly connection. King David recorded his experience in Psalm 63. Our heavenly Father wants to have a loving bond with us just as He did with David.

Making a firm commitment to know Him is the first step, which takes priority above all other matters. David described his passion to know God as an intense thirst (v. 1); the apostle Paul likened his dedication in pursuing the Lord to a race (Heb. 12:1-2). When we pledge ourselves to the lordship of Christ and seek after Him with our hearts and minds, we will find our souls becoming satisfied.

Once we resolve to follow diligently after the Lord, our next step is to spend time in His Word. The Bible is God's revelation of Himself and His plan for the world. Making time to read and meditate on Scripture is essential for every believer. That's how we learn who God is, how He works, and what He desires for us and for the body of Christ. When we strive to know and understand a biblical passage, the Holy Spirit will make the meaning spring to life. God is pleased by followers who make it their goal to deepen their relationship with Him.

Dedicating time to knowing and experiencing God is a critical step toward a satisfying walk with Him. Begin today by making a pledge to pursue Him more diligently and taking time in your schedule for regular study and prayer. Your heavenly Father is waiting to meet with you.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

July 19

Communion with God

Philippians 3:7-10

God created men and women to be in a relationship with Him. The type of communion Adam and Eve first enjoyed with Him was meant for us as well. Then sin entered the world and everything changed. God's intended intimate relationship with mankind was broken, and it has been passed down through the generations in that damaged condition.

But, as we know, that's not the end of the story. God sent His Son Jesus to die in our place so our sins might be forgiven and our relationship with Him restored. Through faith in Christ, we are adopted into God's family and belong to Him forever—just as He originally meant for it to be. He has provided us with everything we need to experience intimacy with Him.

So what happens if, following salvation, new believers never go deeper? Some may drift away from their initial zeal forthe Lord, failing to make Bible reading or church attendance a regular occurrence. Perhaps others try to focus on the Lord but allow earthly matters to distract them. Over time, some Christians settle for what's comfortable and familiar. Sadly, they will miss out on the deep contentment God wanted to provide. Yet those who make Jesus the priority of their life will have a deepening relationship that transcends any earthly one.

Communion with God made King David "fully satisfied as with the richest of foods" (Ps. 63:5 niv). Paul viewed his accomplishments as nothing in comparison with "the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus" (Phil 3:8). Draw near to your Father, and experience the blessings of knowing Him.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

July 20

That Nagging Sense of Dissatisfaction

Isaiah 55:1-2

Have you ever found yourself standing in front of the refrigerator, trying to find something to satisfy a vague sense of emptiness or discontent? You aren't looking for anything specific, but you know you want to fill a longing. Whatever you choose will probably not do the trick, because the empty spot is not in your stomach but in your soul.

Whether the substance is food, career, possessions, or relationships, our souls are continually trying to find satisfaction. But nothing in this world will fill the void. Since we were created for relationship with God, He placed deep within us a yearning for Him. Though we may not recognize it as such, everyone knows the feeling of dissatisfaction that at time seeps into our souls. Whenever we attempt to find fulfillment with worldly substitutes, disappointment and disillusionment are sure to follow.

There are two possible menus from which we can choose to fill our empty souls. Satan's menu is long and full of enticing things that seem to promise fulfillment and pleasure. These could include relationships, prominence, acceptance, riches, or recognition. Whatever he offers looks like the good life that will bring contentment, but it's a deception. But God's menu is quite small. In fact, it lists just one "item"—Jesus. He is the only one who can fill the void.

What are you pursuing in life? Have you found the satisfaction you seek, or is there always a vague sense of discontent in your soul? If you'll give Jesus a bigger place in your life and spend focused, unhurried time with Him, He'll satisfy you as nothing else can.

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

July 21

The Power of Patience

Hebrews 6:9-15

Picture yourself waiting in a checkout line that hasn't moved for ten minutes. Many of us would feel frustrated. We live in a generation that expects instant results.

Everyone struggles with some degree of impatience. We're born with this trait—think about a three-month-old who wants milk in the middle of the night. The inborn reaction is to fuss at the first hint of discomfort and to keep at it until the need is met. Patterns from our old "flesh" nature make this a continual battle for most people, but one that is very worthwhile to fight.

Let's consider the biblical definition of
patience. It can mean both longsufferingand perseverance, or not giving up and yielding under pressure. In either case, it reveals itself when we are willing to wait without frustration while suffering or experiencing
some strong desire. In other words, we accept difficult situations without giving God deadlines. What's more, patience means accepting what the Lord gives, on Histimetable—or what He chooses not to give. This quality results in inner peace and lack of stress. Meanwhile, we should pray, obey, and persist as we seek God's direction.

The danger of impatience is that we might miss the Lord's perfect plan and His blessing. Only when we trust our Father's will and timing can we rest peacefully.

What causes you stress? Carefully examine whether you are taking matters into your own hands or releasing the circumstance to almighty God. Listen to Psalm 37:7, which says, "Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him." Seek His way and His timing. Anything else can be destructive.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

July 22

When Faith Wavers

James 1:5-8

If we believe that God is who He says He is and will do what He has promised, why do so many of us habitually waver in our prayers? Instead of exercising bold faith, we come to the Lord "hoping" He will hear us and answer our requests, but we're just not sure He will. With this kind of thinking, we cannot expect to receive anything from Him.

One reason we are so prone to doubt is that we fail to see God at work in our circumstances. We asked, and nothing happened. But the Lord is not some cosmic bellhop who jumps in response to our requests. He sees past, present, and future and knows the right time for every answer. His invisible hand is already at work on our behalf—arranging situations to accomplish His will, opening hearts,
and preparing us to receive what He wants to give.

Another cause for uncertainty is ignorance. If we don't know God's ways, we will be disappointed in His response. All too often our prayers are accompanied by expectations of how He will work. When He fails to intervene according to our timetable or anticipated method, we start to doubt. But placing our faith in the Lord and trusting in His good and perfect ways gives us stability as we wait for His answer.

To overcome doubts, spend time in the Word to learn God's principles and ways. Then you'll begin to grasp what He wants to achieve in your life and how He goes about it. Examine your past from a biblical perspective—faith will grow as you see the unexpected ways He answered your prayers.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

July 23/24

The High Cost of Wavering Faith

Deuteronomy 1:19-40

God has given believers personalities, abilities, and spiritual gifts which will equip them to accomplish His specific plans for their lives. But each one must choose to step out in faith and obedience. At times the Lord challenges us to do something that seems beyond our ability, but if we back off, we'll miss His awesome blessings.

Let's learn from the Israelites who made several choices that led to unbelief, resulting in a lifetime of aimless wandering. They . . .

• Listened to the wrong voices. To walk obediently with the Lord, we need to guard ourselves from being swayed by those who don't understand the greatness of our God. Not only that, but we must also learn to recognize the lies of Satan. He wants us to become ineffective, accomplishing little for the kingdom of God.

• Relied on human perspective.At times trusting God conflicts with human reasoning. But those who choose to trust Him—even when the external evidence points to an impossibility—will find that He is bigger than any obstacle.

• Let feelings overcome faith. Perhaps the biggest hindrances to obedience are fear and inadequacy. An internal focus is a trust killer. The way to overcome our feelings is to rely on the Lord and His promises. He will equip us for whatever He calls us to do.

Every challenging call to obedience is a fork in the road of our lives. To go the way of unbelief will lead to a lifetime of regret and aimless wandering, but to courageously trust God and do what He says will result in the greatest blessing of your life. The choice is yours.

Used with permission from In Touch Ministries, Inc. © 2009 All Rights Reserved.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

July 25

The Centrality of the Cross

John 19:17-22

In Jesus' day, the cross was used by the Roman government to execute criminals. God transformed it into a symbol that unites Christians everywhere. It stands at the heart of what we believe and serves as a central focus of the gospel message.

When we consider the cross, we will think about . . .

Jesus and His perfect life.Our Savior left heaven to dwell on earth and become one of us. While here, He obediently accomplished the work His Father had given Him (John 5:19). Because of His perfect life, He alone was qualified to be our substitute and bear God's judgment for our sins.

Crucifixion.Christ went willingly to the cross in order to reconcile us to God. He suffered a painful death on our behalf, and through His sacrifice, our sin debt has been paid. God's justice was completely satisfied at Calvary. No further action is required.

Resurrection and ascension.Three days after Jesus was buried, God raised Him from the dead. The Savior's sacrifice on the cross was accepted as payment for our sins, and the way to heaven was opened for all who trust in Jesus. Our resurrected Lord, having appeared on earth to many people, ascended to live forever with His Father. Jesus conquered death and made it possible for us to dwell in heaven with Him someday.

Every Sunday I invite people to place their faith in Jesus Christ. Because of the cross and what happened there, such an invitation has great value to the hearer. In fact, the events of Calvary continue to be relevant to Christians of all ages. Take time today to thank the Lord for the cross.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley

July 26

The Meaning of the Cross

Matthew 16:21-27

The theme of God's redemptive plan runs through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. At its heart is Calvary, the place where Jesus died so we could be forgiven. As we read the Scriptures, we see that the cross symbolizes . . .

Salvation.Jesus bore our sins upon the cross and died in our place so we could be reconciled to God and receive eternal life.

Sacrifice.Christ, who was "in very nature God" (Phil. 2:6 niv), chose to leave the perfection of heaven and live among sinful people. Laying aside His divine authority, He was born a helpless baby, completely dependent upon others. His first 30 years were spent in obscurity, without recognition of His Messiahship. During His public ministry, He faithfully carried out God's plan all the way to His death on the cross. Jesus' days on earth are an example to us of the sacrificial life (Rom. 12:1-2).

Service.Jesus said He "did not come to be served, but to serve and to give His life a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45). Christ's supreme act of service was dying on the cross so we might have eternal life. Our Savior calls us to deny ourselves and follow Him through sacrificial service to others (Luke 9:23). As we embrace a lifestyle of humility and servanthood, we will bring glory to our heavenly Father.

In our culture, success is based on achievement. We admire those who perform well in athletics, business, and the arts. However, greatness in God's kingdom is found in a life of obedience. Are you following His plan and helping others as Jesus did? Have you shared with them the good news of Christ?

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

July 27

The Role of Our Conscience

1 Timothy 1:18-20

God gave every person a conscience, which is like a radar system meant to send warnings when a behavior or decision might be harmful. This makes it possible for people to distinguish between what is morally right and morally wrong, especially as it applies to their own lives. We ignore the conscience at our own peril.

In a believer, the conscience is a tool of the Holy Spirit. He programs it with principles from God's Word and sharpens it to respond quickly. Even so, our radar's sole purpose is to send a signal; what happens next is up to us. Either we ignore the warning, or we stop to hear what the Spirit has to say about the situation. The Holy Spirit reveals God's will or reminds us of His principles so we can make a wise decision about the warning bell ringing in our conscience.

Paul's letter to Timothy mentions people who had rejected God's leadership and guidance in their lives—they'd paid no attention to the alarm of their conscience (1 Tim. 1:19). The result was shipwrecked faith. When something appears on radar that speaks of disobedience to God, we have to reject that action. Otherwise, the detection device becomes impaired and won't work right. If we keep ignoring the alarms,
it will eventually go completely silent.

We all know people who've "run aground" in life. A shipwrecked faith is inevitable when believers ignore their conscience and rationalize or defend disobedience. It's far better to turn yourself over to the great captain of your soul, Jesus Christ. His Holy Spirit will guide you correctly.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk