Happy Independence Day

Started by Judy Harder, July 04, 2011, 08:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

August 01, 2011     

Daily New Life

Cheerfulness 101

Every day is hard for those who suffer, but a happy heart is like a continual feast.
Proverbs 15:15 NCV

Cheerfulness is a wonderful antidote to stress. And, as believers who have been saved by a risen Christ, why shouldn't we be cheerful? The answer, of course, is that we have every reason to honor our Savior with joy in our hearts, smiles on our faces, and words of celebration on our lips.

Christ promises us lives of abundance and joy if we accept His love and His grace. Yet sometimes, even the most righteous among us are beset by fits of ill temper and frustration. During these moments, we may not feel like turning our thoughts and prayers to Christ, but that's precisely what we should do. When we do so, we simply can't stay grumpy for long.

Cheerfulness prepares a glorious mind for all the noblest acts of religion—love, adoration, praise, and every union with our God.
St.Elizabeth Ann Seton

It is not fitting, when one is in God's service, to have a gloomy face or a chilling look.
St. Francis of Assisi

God is good, and heaven is forever. And if those two facts don't cheer you up, nothing will.
Marie T. Freeman

Be assured, my dear friend, that it is no joy to God in seeing you with a dreary countenance.
C. H. Spurgeon

When we bring sunshine into the lives of others, we're warmed by it ourselves. When we spill a little happiness, it splashes on us.
Barbara Johnson

Today's Prayer

Dear Lord, You have given me so many reasons to be happy, and I want to be a cheerful Christian. Today and every day, I will do my best to share my happiness with my family and my friends. Amen
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

August 02, 2011     

Daily New Life

When Our Plans Don't Work Out
Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified;
do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God
will be with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9 NIV

Some of our most important dreams are the ones we abandon. Some of our most important goals are the ones we don't attain. Sometimes, our most important journeys are the ones that we take to the winding conclusion of what seem to be dead-end streets. Thankfully, with God there are no dead-ends; there are only opportunities to learn, to yield, to trust, to serve, and to grow.

The next time you experience one of life's inevitable disappointments, don't despair and don't be afraid to try "Plan B." Consider every setback an opportunity to choose a different, more appropriate path. Have faith that God may indeed be leading you in an entirely different direction, a direction of His choosing. And as you take your next step, remember that what looks like a dead-end to you may, in fact, be the fast lane according to God.

The difference between winning and losing is how we choose to react to disappointment. - Barbara Johnson

Often God has to shut a door in our face so that He can subsequently open the door through which He wants us to go. - Catherine Marshall

Every achievement worth remembering is stained with the blood of diligence and scarred by the wounds of disappointment. - Charles Swindoll

The amazing thing is that God follows us into the blackened ruins of our failed dreams, our misbegotten mirages, into the house of cards that has collapsed on us in some way and He speaks, not with the chastisement we feel we deserve, but of all things, with tenderness. - Paula Rinehart

Today's Prayer
Dear Lord, when I face the inevitable disappointments of life, remind me that You are in control. You are the Giver of all good things, Father, and You will bless me today, tomorrow, and forever. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

When People Behave Badly
Bad temper is contagious—don't get infected.
Proverbs 22:25

Sometimes people can behave badly . . . very badly. When other people are unkind to you, you may be tempted to strike back, either verbally or in some other way. Don't do it! Instead, remember that God corrects other people's behaviors in His own way, and He doesn't need your help (even if you're totally convinced that He does).

So, when other people behave cruelly, foolishly, or impulsively—as they will from time to time—don't be hotheaded. Instead, speak up for yourself as politely as you can, and walk away. Then, forgive everybody as quickly as you can, and leave the rest up to God.

We are all fallen creatures and all very hard to live with. - C. S. Lewis

A keen sense of humor helps us to overlook the unbecoming, understand the unconventional, tolerate the unpleasant, overcome the unexpected, and outlast the unbearable. - Billy Graham

Bear with the faults of others as you would have them bear with yours. - Phillips Brooks

From what does such contrariness arise in habitually angry people, but from a secret cause of too high an opinion of themselves so that it pierces their hearts when they see any man esteem them less than they esteem themselves? An inflated estimation of ourselves is more than half the weight of our wrath. - St. Thomas More

Today's Prayer
Dear Lord, sometimes people behave badly. When other people upset me, help me to calm myself down, and help me forgive them as quickly as I can. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

A Series of Choices
The thing you should want most is God's kingdom and
doing what God wants. Then all these other things
you need will be given to you.
Matthew 6:33 NCV

Your life is a series of choices. From the instant you wake up in the morning until the moment you nod off to sleep at night, you make countless decisions—decisions about the things you do, decisions about the words you speak, and decisions about the way that you choose to direct your thoughts.

As a believer who has been transformed by the love of Jesus, you have every reason to make wise choices. But sometimes, when the stresses of the daily grind threaten to grind you up and spit you out, you may make choices that are displeasing to God. When you do, you'll pay a price because you'll forfeit the happiness and the peace that might otherwise have been yours.

So, as you pause to consider the kind of Christian you are—and the kind of Christian you want to become—ask yourself whether you're sitting on the fence or standing in the light. The choice is yours . . . and so are the consequences.

The greatest choice any man makes is to let God choose for him. - Vance Havner

Every step of your life's journey is a choice . . . and the quality of those choices determines the quality of the journey. - Criswell Freeman

Life is pretty much like a cafeteria line—it offers us many choices, both good and bad. The Christian must have a spiritual radar that detects the difference not only between bad and good but also among good, better, and best. - Dennis Swanberg

Every day, I find countless opportunities to decide whether I will obey God and demonstrate my love for Him or try to please myself or the world system. God is waiting for my choices. - Bill Bright

Today's Prayer
Heavenly Father, I have many choices to make. Help me choose wisely as I follow in the footsteps of Your only begotten Son. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

Praise Him
Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.
Psalm 106:1 NIV

Sometimes, in our rush to get things done, we simply don't stop long enough to pause and thank our Creator for the countless blessings He has bestowed upon us. After all, we're busy people with many demands upon our time . . . and we have so much to do. But when we slow down long enough to express our gratitude to the One who made us, we enrich our own lives and the lives of those around us.

Thanksgiving should become a habit, a regular part of our daily routines. After all, God has blessed us beyond measure, and we owe Him everything, including our constant praise.

So today, pause and count your blessings. Then, give thanks to the Giver. God's love for you is never-ending; your praise for Him should be never-ending, too.

Be not afraid of saying too much in the praises of God; all the danger is of saying too little. - Matthew Henry

Stand up and bless the Lord, ye people of His choice; stand up and bless the Lord your God with heart and soul and voice. - James Montgomery

Nothing we do is more powerful or more life-changing than praising God. - Stormie Omartian

Our God is the sovereign Creator of the universe! He loves us as His own children and has provided every good thing we have; He is worthy of our praise every moment. - Shirley Dobson

Today's Prayer
Heavenly Father, today and every day I will praise You. I will praise You with my thoughts, my prayers, my words, and my deeds . . . now and forever. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Beyond Guilt
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
Romans 8:1 NKJV

All of us have sinned. Sometimes our sins result from our own stubborn rebellion against God's commandments. And sometimes, we are swept up in events that are beyond our abilities to control. Under either set of circumstances, we may experience intense feelings of guilt. But God has an answer for the guilt that we feel. That answer, of course, is His forgiveness. When we confess our wrongdoings and repent from them, we are forgiven by the One who created us.

Are you troubled by feelings of guilt or regret? If so, you must repent from your misdeeds, and you must ask your Heavenly Father for His forgiveness. When you do so, He will forgive you completely and without reservation. Then, you must forgive yourself just as God has forgiven you: thoroughly and unconditionally.

If God has forgiven you, why can't you forgive yourself? - Marie T. Freeman

Spiritual life without guilt would be like physical life without pain. Guilt is a defense mechanism; it's like an alarm that goes off to lead you to confession when you sin. - John MacArthur

You never lose the love of God. Guilt is the warning that temporarily you are out of touch. - Jack Dominian

One of Satan's most effective ploys is to make us believe that we are small, insignificant, and worthless. - Susan Lenzkes

Today's Prayer
Dear Lord, thank You for the guilt that I feel when I disobey You. Help me confess my wrongdoings, help me accept Your forgiveness, and help me renew my passion to serve You. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

Genuine Contentment
The LORD gives strength to his people;
the LORD blesses his people with peace.
Psalm 29:11 NIV

Everywhere we turn, or so it seems, the world promises us contentment and happiness. But the contentment that the world offers is fleeting and incomplete. Thankfully, the contentment that God offers is all encompassing and everlasting.

Happiness depends less upon our circumstances than upon our thoughts. When we turn our thoughts to God, to His gifts, and to His glorious creation, we experience the joy that God intends for His children. But, when we focus on the negative aspects of life—or when we disobey God's commandments—we cause ourselves needless suffering.

Do you sincerely want to be a contented Christian? Then set your mind and your heart upon God's love and His grace . . . and let Him take care of the rest.

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

The secret of contentment in the midst of change is found in having roots in the changeless Christ—the same yesterday, today and forever. - Ed Young

Contentment is something we learn by adhering to the basics—cultivating a growing relationship with Jesus Christ, living daily, and knowing that Christ strengthens us for every challenge. - Charles Stanley

Contentment is not escape from battle, but rather an abiding peace and confidence in the midst of battle. - Warren Wiersbe

Today's Prayer
Dear Lord, You offer me contentment and peace; let me accept Your peace. Help me to trust Your Word, to follow Your commandments, and to welcome the peace of Jesus into my heart, today and forever. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

August 8 2011

Daily New Life

The Power of Patience
We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage
the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
1 Thessalonians 5:14 NASB

Life demands patience . . . and lots of it! We live in an imperfect world inhabited by imperfect people. Sometimes, we inherit troubles from others, and sometimes we create trouble for ourselves. In either case, what's required is patience.

Lamentations 3:25-26 reminds us that, "The Lord is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him. So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the Lord" (NIV). But, for most of us, waiting quietly for God is difficult. Why? Because we are fallible human beings, sometimes quick to anger and sometimes slow to forgive.

The next time you find your patience tested to the limit, remember that the world unfolds according to God's timetable, not ours. Sometimes, we must wait patiently, and that's as it should be. After all, think how patient God has been with us.

Two signposts of faith: "Slow Down" and "Wait Here." - Charles Stanley

Our challenge is to wait in faith for the day of God's favor and salvation. - Jim Cymbala

God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which He must work. To know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves. - A. W. Tozer

As we wait on God, He helps us use the winds of adversity to soar above our problems. As the Bible says, "Those who wait on the LORD . . . shall mount up with wings like eagles." - Billy Graham

Today's Prayer
Dear Lord, let me live according to Your plan and according to Your timetable. When I am hurried, Lord, slow me down. When I become impatient with others, give me empathy. Today, Lord, let me be a patient Christian, and let me trust in You and in Your master plan. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

Counting Your Blessings
Blessings crown the head of the righteous . . . .
Proverbs 10:6 NIV

Because we have been so richly blessed, we should make thanksgiving a habit, a regular part of our daily routines. But sometimes, amid the stresses and obligations of everyday life, we may allow interruptions and distractions to interfere with the time we spend with God.

Have you counted your blessings today? And have you thanked God for them? Hopefully so. After all, God's gifts include your family, your friends, your talents, your opportunities, your possessions, and the priceless gift of eternal life. How glorious are these gifts . . . and God is responsible for every one of them.

So today, as you go about the duties of everyday life, pause and give thanks to the Creator. He deserves your praise, and you deserve the experience of praising Him.

God's kindness is not like the sunset—brilliant in its intensity, but dying every second. God's generosity keeps coming and coming and coming. - Bill Hybels

When you and I are related to Jesus Christ, our strength and wisdom and peace and joy and love and hope may run out, but His life rushes in to keep us filled to the brim. We are showered with blessings, not because of anything we have or have not done, but simply because of Him. - Anne Graham Lotz

Do we not continually pass by blessings innumerable without notice, and instead fix our eyes on what we feel to be our trials and our losses, and think and talk about these until our whole horizon is filled with them, and we almost begin to think we have no blessings at all? - Hannah Whitall Smith

God is more anxious to bestow His blessings on us than we are to receive them. - St. Augustine

Today's Prayer
Lord, I have more blessings than I can count, and I praise You
for Your gifts. Let me use my talents and my possessions for
Your glory . . . and for Your Son. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

Trusting God
It is better to trust the Lord than to put confidence in people.
It is better to trust the Lord than to put confidence in princes.
Psalm 118:8-9 NLT

Sometimes the future seems bright, and sometimes it does not. Yet even when we cannot see the possibilities of tomorrow, God can. As believers, our challenge is to trust an uncertain future to an all-powerful God.

When we trust God, we should trust Him without reservation. We should steel ourselves against the inevitable stresses of the day, secure in the knowledge that our Heavenly Father has a plan for the future that only He can see.

Can you place your future into the hands of a loving and all-knowing God? Can you live amid the uncertainties of today, knowing that God has dominion over all your tomorrows? If you can, you are wise and you are blessed. When you trust God with everything you are and everything you have, He will bless you now and forever.

God is God. He knows what He is doing. When you can't trace His hand, trust His heart. - Max Lucado

God delights to meet the faith of one who looks up to Him and says, "Lord, You know that I cannot do this—but I believe that You can!" - Amy Carmichael

It helps to resign as the controller of your fate. All that energy we expend to keep things running right is not what keeps things running right. - Anne Lamott

Sometimes the very essence of faith is trusting God in the midst of things He knows good and well we cannot comprehend. - Beth Moore

Today's Prayer
Lord, when I trust in the things of this earth, I will be disappointed. But, when I put my faith in You, I am secure. In every aspect of my life, Father, let me place my hope and my trust in Your infinite wisdom and Your boundless grace. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk