Happy Independence Day

Started by Judy Harder, July 04, 2011, 08:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

Beyond Envy
Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby.
1 Peter 2:1-2 NKJV

Because we are frail, imperfect human beings, we are sometimes envious of others. But God's Word warns us that envy is sin. Thus, we must guard ourselves against the natural tendency to feel resentment and jealousy when other people experience good fortune. As believers, we have absolutely no reason to be envious of any people on earth. After all, as Christians we are already recipients of the greatest gift in all creation: God's grace. We have been promised the gift of eternal life through God's only begotten Son, and we must count that gift as our most precious possession.

So here's a simple suggestion that is guaranteed to bring you happiness: fill your heart with God's love, God's promises, and God's Son . . . and when you do so, leave no room for envy, hatred, bitterness, or regret.

Discontent dries up the soul. - Elisabeth Elliot

How can you possess the miseries of envy when you possess in Christ the best of all portions? - C. H. Spurgeon

Is there somebody who's always getting your goat? Talk to the Shepherd. - Anonymous

What God asks, does, or requires of others is not my business; it is His. - Kay Arthur

Too many Christians envy the sinners their pleasure and the saints their joy because they don't have either one. - Martin Luther

Today's Prayer
Dear Lord, when I am envious of others, redirect my thoughts to the blessings I have received from You. Make me a thankful Christian, Father, and deliver me from envy. Amen
:angel:

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

The Right Kind of Fear
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.
Proverbs 1:7 HCSB

Do you have a healthy, fearful respect for God's power? If so, you are both wise and obedient. And, because you are a thoughtful believer, you also understand that genuine wisdom begins with a profound appreciation for God's limitless power.

God praises humility and punishes pride. That's why God's greatest servants will always be those humble men and women who care less for their own glory and more for God's glory. In God's kingdom, the only way to achieve greatness is to shun it. And the only way to be wise is to understand these facts: God is great; He is all-knowing; and He is all-powerful. We must respect Him, and we must humbly obey His commandments, or we must accept the consequences of our misplaced pride.

A healthy fear of God will do much to deter us from sin. - Charles Swindoll

The remarkable thing about fearing God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear everything else. - Oswald Chambers

It is not possible that mortal men should be thoroughly conscious of the divine presence without being filled with awe. - C. H. Spurgeon

It is an act of the will to allow God to be our refuge. Otherwise, we live outside of His love and protection, wondering why we feel alone and afraid. - Mary Morrison Suggs

Today's Prayer
Dear Lord, others have expectations of me, and I have hopes and desires for my life. Lord, bring all other expectations in line with Your plans for me. May my only fear be that of displeasing the One who created me. May I obey Your commandments and seek Your will this day and every day. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

Beyond Failure
For a righteous man may fall seven times and rise again.
Proverbs 24:16

The occasional disappointments and failures of life are inevitable. Such setbacks are simply the price that we must occasionally pay for our willingness to take risks as we follow our dreams. But even when we encounter bitter disappointments, we must never lose faith.

The reassuring words of Hebrews 10:36 remind us that when we persevere, we will eventually receive that which God has promised. What's required is perseverance, not perfection.

When we encounter the inevitable difficulties and stresses of life here on earth, God stands ready to protect us. Our responsibility, of course, is to ask Him for protection. When we call upon Him in heartfelt prayer, He will answer—in His own time and according to His own plan—and He will heal us. And, while we are waiting for God's plans to unfold and for His healing touch to restore us, we can be comforted in the knowledge that our Creator can overcome any obstacle, even if we cannot.

The almighty Father will use life's reverses to move you forward. - Barbara Johnson

So you have failed? You have not failed; you have gained experience. Go forward! - Josemaria Escriva

One of the ways God refills us after failure is through the blessing of Christian fellowship. Just experiencing the joy of simple activities shared with other children of God can have a healing effect on us. - Anne Graham Lotz

Do not be one of those who, rather than risk failure, never attempt anything. - Thomas Merton

Today's Prayer
Dear Lord, when I encounter failures and disappointments, keep me mindful that You are in control. Let me persevere—even if my soul is troubled—and let me follow Your Son, Jesus Christ, this day and forever. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

July 25, 2011   

Daily New Life

Focusing on Appearances?
God does not see the same way people see. People look at the outside of a person, but the Lord looks at the heart.
1 Samuel 16:7 NCV

It's downright stressful to "keep up appearances." And besides, it's fruitless. After all, the world sees you as you appear to be, but God sees you as you really are—He sees your heart, and He understands your intentions. The opinions of others should be relatively unimportant to you; however, God's view of you—His understanding of your actions, your thoughts, and your motivations—should be vitally important.

Few things in life are more futile than keeping up appearances for the sake of neighbors. What is important, of course, is pleasing your Father in heaven while you provide support and encouragement to your family members and your closest friends.

Today, do yourself a favor: worry less about physical appearances and more about spiritual realities. It's the wise way—and the peaceful way—to live.

God doesn't use us based on what we look like. He uses us based on the condition of our souls. - Judith Couchman

If the narrative of the Scriptures teaches us anything, from the serpent in the Garden to the carpenter in Nazareth, it teaches us that things are rarely what they seem, that we shouldn't be fooled by appearances. - John Eldredge

The life of a good religious person ought to abound in every virtue so that he is, on the interior, what to others he appears to be. - Thomas à Kempis

Outside appearances, things like the clothes you wear or the car you drive, are important to other people but totally unimportant to God. Trust God. - Marie T. Freeman

Today's Prayer
Dear Lord, the world focuses on my outward appearance, but You see my heart. Today, Father, I will guard my heart as I focus, not upon outward appearances, but upon the real person I am today, and the person I can become tomorrow. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

The Simple Life
Whoever becomes simple and elemental again,
like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom.
Matthew 18:4

Want to reduce stress during these turbulent times? Here's a simple solution: Simplify your life. Unfortunately, it's easier said than done. After all, you live in a world where simplicity is in short supply.

Think for a moment about the complexity of your everyday life and compare it to the lives of your ancestors. Certainly, you are the beneficiary of many technological innovations, but those innovations have a price: in all likelihood, your world is highly complex. Unless you take firm control of your time and your life, you may be overwhelmed by a stress-inducing tidal wave of complexity that threatens your happiness.

Your Heavenly Father understands the joy of living simply, and so should you. So do yourself a favor: Keep your life as simple as possible. Simplicity is, indeed, genius. By simplifying your life, you are destined to improve it.

Simplicity reaches out after God; purity discovers and enjoys Him. - Thomas à Kempis

It is the simple things of life that make living worthwhile, the sweet fundamental things such as love and duty, work and rest, and living close to nature. - Laura Ingalls Wilder

It is part of Satan's program to make our faith complicated and involved. Now and then, we need a rediscovery of the simplicity that is in Christ and in our faith in Him. - Vance Havner

The most powerful life is the most simple life. The most powerful life is the life that knows where it's going, that knows where the source of strength is; it is the life that stays free of clutter and happenstance and hurriedness. - Max Lucado

Today's Prayer
Lord, help me keep it simple. When I complicate my life, give me the wisdom to simplify. The world values complexity, Father, but You do not. Today, I will strive to keep my thoughts focused intently on Your Word, on Your love, and on Your Son.  Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

Anxious?
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving,
let your requests be made known to God.
Philippians 4:6

We live in a fast-paced, stress-inducing, anxiety-filled world that oftentimes seems to shift beneath our feet. Sometimes, trusting God is difficult, especially when we become caught up in the incessant demands of an anxious world.

When you feel stressed to the breaking point—and you will—return your thoughts to God's love and God's promises. And as you confront the challenges of everyday living, turn all of your concerns over to your Heavenly Father.

The same God who created the universe will comfort and guide you if you ask Him . . . so ask Him. Then watch in amazement as your anxieties melt into the warmth of His loving hands.

Worry and anxiety are sand in the machinery of life; faith is the oil. - E. Stanley Jones

We must lay our questions, frustrations, anxieties, and impotence at the feet of God and wait for His answer. And then receiving it, we must live by faith. - Kay Arthur

So often we pray and then fret anxiously, waiting for God to hurry up and do something. All the while God is waiting for us to calm down, so He can do something through us. - Corrie ten Boom

The fierce grip of panic need not immobilize you. God knows no limitation when it comes to deliverance. Admit your fear. Commit it to Him. Dump the pressure on Him. He can handle it. - Charles Swindoll

Today's Prayer
Lord, sometimes this world is a difficult place, and, as a frail human being, I am fearful. When I am worried, restore my faith. When I am anxious, turn my thoughts to You. When I grieve, touch my heart with Your enduring love. And, keep me mindful, Lord, that nothing, absolutely nothing, will happen this day that You and I cannot handle together. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Daily New Life

Doers of the Word
But prove yourselves doers of the word,
and not merely hearers.
James 1:22 NASB

It's stressful to believe one thing but do something else. And as Christians, we must beware: Our actions should always give credence to the changes that Jesus can make in the lives of those who walk with Him.

God calls upon each of us to act in accordance with His will and with respect for His commandments. If we are to be responsible believers, we must realize that it is never enough simply to hear the instructions of God; we must also live by them. And it is never enough to wait idly by while others do God's work here on earth; we, too, must act. Doing God's work is a responsibility that each of us must bear, and when we do, our loving Heavenly Father rewards our efforts with a bountiful harvest.

Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Slowly I have realized that I do not have to be qualified to do what I am asked to do, that I just have to go ahead and do it, even if I can't do it as well as I think it ought to be done. This is one of the most liberating lessons of my life. - Madeleine L'Engle

In times of stress and adversity, it's always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something quite positive. - Lee Iacocca

The church needs people who are doers of the Word and not just hearers. - Warren Wiersbe

Today's Prayer
Dear Lord, I have heard Your Word, and I have felt Your presence in my heart; let me act accordingly. Let my words and deeds serve as a testimony to the changes You have made in my life. Let me praise You, Father, by following in the footsteps of  Your Son, and let others see Him through me. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

July 29, 2011     

Daily New Life

Neighbors in Need
Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, "How can I help?" That's exactly what Jesus did.
Romans 15:2-3

Sometimes, it's not you, but instead your neighbors, who are experiencing stress. And, of course, we know that we're instructed to love our neighbors, and yet there's so little time . . . and we're so busy. No matter. As Christians, we are commanded by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to love our neighbors just as we love ourselves. Period.

This very day, you will encounter someone who needs a word of encouragement, a pat on the back, a helping hand, or a heartfelt prayer. And, if you don't reach out to your friend, who will? If you don't take the time to understand the needs of your neighbors, who will? If you don't love your brothers and sisters, who will? So, today, look for a neighbor in need . . . and then do something to help. Father's orders.

The truest help we can render an afflicted man is not to take his burden from him, but to call out his best energy, that he may be able to bear the burden himself. - Phillips Brooks

Make it a rule, and pray to God to help you to keep it, never, if possible, to lie down at night without being able to say: "I have made one human being at least a little wiser, or a little happier, or at least a little better this day." - Charles Kingsley

Encouraging others means helping people, looking for the best in them, and trying to bring out their positive qualities. - John Maxwell

Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can. - John Wesley

Today's Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me be a Good Samaritan to the people You place along my path, today and every day. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Saturday July 30 2011

Daily New Life

Helping Others Manage Turbulent Times

From a wise mind comes wise speech;
the words of the wise are persuasive.
Proverbs 16:23 NLT

If you want to help your family and friends overcome stress, then you must measure your words carefully. And that's exactly what God wants you to do. God's Word reminds us that "Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing" (Proverbs 12:18 NIV).

Today, make this promise to yourself: vow to be an honest, effective, encouraging communicator at work, at home, and everyplace in between. Speak wisely, not impulsively. Use words of kindness and praise, not words of anger or derision. Learn how to be truthful without being cruel. Remember that you have the power to heal others or to injure them, to lift others up or to hold them back. And when you learn how to lift them up, you'll soon discover that you've lifted yourself up, too.

Attitude and the spirit in which we communicate are as important as the words we say.
Charles Stanley

Part of good communication is listening with the eyes as well as with the ears.
Josh McDowell

We should ask ourselves three things before we speak: Is it true? Is it kind? Does it glorify God?
Billy Graham

To the loved, a word of affection is a morsel, but to the love-starved, a word of affection can be a feast.
Max Lucado

Today's Prayer

Lord, You have warned me that I will be judged by the words I speak. Keep me mindful, Lord, that I have influence on many people; make me an influence for good. And, may the words that I speak today be worthy of the One who has saved me forever. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

July 31, 2011     

Daily New Life

A Book Unlike Any Other

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is God's power for salvation to everyone who believes.
Romans 1:16 HCSB

The Bible can be a powerful tool for defeating stress. George Mueller observed, "The vigor of our spiritual lives will be in exact proportion to the place held by the Bible in our lives and in our thoughts." As Christians, we are called upon to study God's Holy Word and then apply it to our lives. When we do, we are blessed.

The Bible is a priceless gift, a tool for Christians to use as they share the Good News of their Savior, Christ Jesus. Too many Christians, however, keep their spiritual tool kits tightly closed and out of sight. Jonathan Edwards advised, "Be assiduous in reading the Holy Scriptures. This is the fountain whence all knowledge in divinity must be derived. Therefore let not this treasure lie by you neglected." God's Holy Word is, indeed, a priceless, one-of-a-kind treasure. Handle it with care, but, more importantly, handle it every day.

God gives us a compass and a Book of promises and principles—the Bible—and lets us make our decisions day by day as we sense the leading of His Spirit. This is how we grow.
Warren Wiersbe

I am certain that the Bible is the Word of God. Either it is or it isn't, and either all of it is the Word of God, or we never can be sure of any of it. It is either absolute or obsolete. If we have to start changing this verse, toning down that, apologizing for this and making allowances for that, we might as well give up, so we must take it as it is or leave it alone.
Vance Havner

The instrument of our sanctification is the Word of God. The Spirit of God brings to our minds the precepts and doctrines of truth, and applies them with power. The truth is our sanctifier. If we do not hear or read it, we will not grow in sanctification.
C. H. Spurgeon

The Bible is the one Book to which any thoughtful man may go with any honest question of life or destiny and find the answer of God by honest searching.
John Ruskin

Today's Prayer

Dear Lord, the Bible is Your gift to me. Let me use, let me trust it, and let me obey it, today and every day that I live. Amen

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk