Happy Independence Day

Started by Judy Harder, July 04, 2011, 08:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Do Your Homework

Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right. - Proverbs 20:11

When is the last time you made a bad decision because you didn't do your homework?

Over a three year period, thousands of criminals escaped from a Los Angeles County Sheriffs Work-Release program. A large num­ber of these men were hardened criminals, incarcerated for violent crimes. It was reported that most of the men in the program had been asked if they would prefer work-release to doing prison time, and that their criminal record had no bearing on the offer.

God expects us to be wise in our association with others. He doesn't want us to fall prey to smooth talkers. If a person says one thing but his life speaks differently, beware! You can be sure that what you see is what you will get.

I challenge you today to seek wisdom from God in all that you do. Before putting your trust in another, look at his actions. Ask the Lord to give you the discernment necessary to avoid making the wrong decisions when it comes to relationships with others, both in your business life and your personal life.

"Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love, and the future to God's providence."
- St. Augustine ( 354-430)

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Secret Kindness

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. -  Matthew 6:3

Has someone ever done something special for you anonymously? Didn't it make you feel wonderful?

There was a doctor who had been practicing medicine for over 30 years in a small Arkansas town. He was called before the State Medical Board because it had been reported that the doctor kept no written records of his patients' medical histories. The doctor admitted that he kept all patient information in his head but avoided having his license revoked when it was discovered that he was the only doctor in the small town and treated most of his patients at no charge.

When was the last time you did something special for someone else without taking credit for the effort? You would be amazed at how something simple can be such a blessing, not only to the receiver, but also to you.

Make a habit of doing a secret kindness for someone each and every day. Not only will you be able to shed happiness on others, but you, too, will surely be blessed!

"You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden (1910-    )
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Do Your Homework

Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right. - Proverbs 20:11

When is the last time you made a bad decision because you didn't do your homework?

Over a three year period, thousands of criminals escaped from a Los Angeles County Sheriffs Work-Release program. A large num¬ber of these men were hardened criminals, incarcerated for violent crimes. It was reported that most of the men in the program had been asked if they would prefer work-release to doing prison time, and that their criminal record had no bearing on the offer.

God expects us to be wise in our association with others. He doesn't want us to fall prey to smooth talkers. If a person says one thing but his life speaks differently, beware! You can be sure that what you see is what you will get.

I challenge you today to seek wisdom from God in all that you do. Before putting your trust in another, look at his actions. Ask the Lord to give you the discernment necessary to avoid making the wrong decisions when it comes to relationships with others, both in your business life and your personal life.

"Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love, and the future to God's providence." - St. Augustine ( 354-430)
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Don't Get Stuck

Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways. He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way. - Psalm 25:8-9

Have you ever strayed from the Lord and wandered down the wrong path? John O'Neil of Huntington, New York has.

The 73 year-old man left a bar late one night in February and walked down a very narrow opening between two buildings. Un¬fortunately for Mr. O'Neil, there wasn't enough space to accom¬modate him and he got stuck. He was wedged so tightly between the buildings that he could not move and spent the night waiting for help. In the morning, the Fire Department was summoned and had to pluck Mr. O'Neil from above.

When we take our eyes off the Lord, we can very easily get our¬selves stuck in a place where we don't want to be. That is why it is so important that God is the focus of all we do.

I challenge you today to assess your direction. Is God at the center of your life and are you allowing Him to direct your path? If you are not, I urge you to do so before you get yourself stuck in a very undesirable place. 

"Every day, I find countless opportunities to decide whether I will obey God and demonstrate my love for Him or try to please myself or the world system. God is waiting for my choices." -Bill Bright (1921-2003)
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

It's Nice to be Anywhere

No man has power over the wind to contain it; so no one has power over the day of his death. - Ecclesiastes 8:8

When it comes to the length of your life, what do you consider long enough?

On March 9, 1996 comedian and actor George Burns passed away at the age of 100. He was still performing live comedy, until just a few years before his death. At his 98th birthday celebration, he addressed his guest in true "George Burns style", saying "It's nice to be here . . . at 98, it's nice to be anywhere."

At 98 years-old, George Burns considered every day a gift and he was right! Whether you're twenty-two years old or ninety-two, life is precious and should never be taken for granted. None of us are born with a guaranteed number of days on this earth. We have no promise that we will be here tomorrow and should realize that each moment is priceless. In acknowledging each day as an irreplaceable gift, we will be more likely to make the most of the time that we are given.

Start each morning by thanking the Lord for the day He has given you. Then spend that day, as if you meant what you said.

"When I was a boy the Dead Sea was only sick." - George Burns (1896-1996)

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Earning Your Way

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 6:23

How many things can you think of in this world, that are "Free of Charge" . . . no strings attached? Not many! Perhaps that's why there are so many people trying to work their way into the King¬dom of God.

At a "Celebrity Roast" in Beverly Hills, California, long time come¬dian and actor Bob Hope was put on the "Hot Seat". Among the nearly 1,000 people in attendance, were many of Hope's long time friends and fellow entertainers from Hollywood's early days.

Bob Hope's wife, Delores, while reflecting upon the recent passing of two Hollywood legends, Gene Kelly and George Burns, said, "God must want us around for something. So many other wonder¬ful people have gone and we are here. I guess maybe we haven't earned heaven yet." How many mistakenly believe that they can earn their way into heaven?

Accept the "Free Gift" of Salvation by asking Jesus to come into your heart and forgive you and your sins. If you've already taken that step, I challenge you to serve the Lord out of love and appre¬ciation for the gift that he has given you.

"There are many things that are essential to arriving at true peace of mind, and one of the most important is faith, which cannot be acquired without prayer." - John Wooden (1910-    )
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

You're a Child of God

For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. - Matthew 7:8

Have you ever been in the uncomfortable position of having to defend your rights or your personal property?

A 47 year-old woman conceived by artificial insemination after the death of her father was awarded Social Security "survivor's" benefits. This ended a seven year battle between the woman's mother and the Social Security Administration over the woman's rights as a child of the deceased. The Social Security Administration never conceded that she was legally entitled to the benefits, but rather stated that they did not want to spend the time and money necessary to fight the issue in a court of law.

When you ask Jesus into your heart, you are re-born into the family of God. From that point forward, there is no question that you are His child. You don't have to prove that He is your Father or that you are entitled to receive support from him.

As a child of God, you are given a promise, that all of your needs will be met. No one can deny you that benefit.

Live life with the assurance that you are a child of the King. God is your Father and you will never have to fight for your inheritance.

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." - Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

The Danger of Rationalizing

The memory of the righteous will be a blessing, but the name of the wicked will rot. - Proverbs 10:7

Beware when you find yourself rationalizing your actions. Ultimately, you will be trapped by your own deceit and unable to receive any direction from the Lord.

Most of us, at one time or another, have found ourselves rationalizing something we're not quite comfortable with. It's not so much the act of rationalizing, as it is the refusal to receive correction in this area that will get you in trouble.

In Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, a man by the name of Mark Spotz was put on trial for the murder of his brother. Spotz adamantly denied killing his brother, saying, 'He didn't die until he got to the hospital. In my mind, killing someone is taking a life willfully. I didn't do that. I shot my brother and he died. I didn't kill him."

Do you see how clouded your mind can become when you give in to what you know is wrong, and then allow yourself to justify it?

Rationalization is a ticking "time bomb". If you rationalize inappropriate actions, at some point you may find yourself as deluded as this poor fellow in Texas.

"O what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832)

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

The "R" Word . . . Repentence

He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy. - Proverbs 28:13

What does the word "repentance" mean to you? Some mistakenly believe that "repentance" is just another word for "Really SORRY!" That definition is incomplete at best, and there are some people who just have to find out the hard way.

Consider the case of a Texas man, convicted of armed bank robbery. Incredible as it may seem, this man was able to cut a deal with the state prosecutor. Instead of doing any prison time, he was allowed to pay a hefty fine as complete recompense for the wrong he had done. Grateful and relieved, the convicted felon made his way down the hall of the Court Clerk's office where he paid his $10,000 fine. He presented the clerk with a check for the full amount, and regained his freedom.

This story could have had a wonderful ending except for one thing; the man had not repented! Shortly after his release, this man found himself standing before the same court, charged with yet another felony. The check he had presented to pay his fine had been forged. This time he was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Search your heart and see if there are sins in your life, for which you have not truly repented. Repenting means to do a 180 and walk in the opposite direction. If you find that there are sins in your life, ask the Lord for forgiveness and then turn away from that sin and RUN in the opposite direction.

"Some often repent, yet never reform; they resemble a man traveling in a dangerous path, who frequently starts and stops, but never turns back." - Bonnell Thornton (1725-1768)
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Troubled Comparisons

For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer. - 1 Timothy 4:4

Why is it that we don't accept who we are? I don't know about you, but I look at others around me (friends, people in the news, in movies, athletes, co-workers) and compare how I look . . . my clothes, my physical features, my sense of humor, my speaking ability, my communication skills, my car, my cell phone, my glasses, the color, length and fullness of my hair, and my experiences.

If you're like me, you always come up short and feel intimidated. You never measure up so you clam up. You don't offer to use your gifts and talents because you're feeling inferior. So your gifts and talents die inside you. You stop living, stop loving, and stop feeling. Some of you may have turned to things to numb the pain and shut down the lying, hounding voices of your past hurts, mistakes, disappointments, and your failure to measure up to others.

But it's all a lie. God created you just as you are. Satan wants to shut you down. He doesn't want the uniqueness of you to shine forth.  When you stifle who you are, you're giving Satan a victory. When you allow your personality, your experience, your gifts and skills to shine forth, you're giving God a chance to use you just as he made you. It's only then that you'll grow more and more into who he created you to be.

Accept who you are in Christ. He accepts you. Why don't you accept you? There's no reason good enough. Work through your insecurities and let God use you, starting today, just as you are.

"What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk