Did You Know.....

Started by Warph, June 10, 2011, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

People weren't meant to poop sitting down.  Squatting instead of sitting on a toilet reduces your chances of getting hemorrhoids.

A 2003 study had participants defecate using a standard toilet seat (41-42 cm high), a lowered toilet seat (31-32 cm high), and while squatting.  The results were that, regardless of toilet seat height, pooping while sitting took more time to completely empty the bowels, and required more effort to get it all out.    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12870773

Further studies have indicated that all this extra pressure that we put on our colons when using a toilet is actually hurting us.  In fact, the use of toilets increases our chances of developing ailments like hemorrhoids and diverticulosis (the formation of holes in the colon).     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2840558

In the grand scheme of things, flush toilets are a relatively recent addition to our lives (having been invented in 1591).  Though they clearly have bettered people's livelihoods by improving overall sanitation, the fact of the matter is that the sitting position that toilets force us into result in anorectal angles (angle formed at the junction of the anus and rectum) that are less than ideal for efficient pooping.  The angle is at 90 degrees while standing (keeping us from releasing at the wrong time) and only improves to 100 degrees when sitting on a toilet.  While squatting the anorectal angle improves to 126 degrees, making everything flow much more easily.

Of course, as more people become obese, it becomes more of a strain to get into a squatting position and stand back up from a squatting position multiple times every day.  Read more about Pooping:
Source:  http://www.slate.com/id/2264657/

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

There are 6,909 Known Languages Spoken in the World Today.

Source:  http://www.ethnologue.com/language_index.asp?letter=A

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Talk About Your Pyramid Scheme!

The Great Pyramid was built as a tomb for the pharaoh Khufu.  As of 2008, 138 pyramids have been discovered in Egypt..... and most were constructed to house the remains of ancient Egyptian royalty.  The supreme example of this practice is Khufu's Great Pyramid, the largest of these structures ever to be built.  It is made of about 2.3 million stone blocks, each weighing anywhere from 2.5 to 15 tons!  With construction continuing for around 80 years, it is estimated that the workers would have had to set a block in place every two and a half minutes!

The ancient Greek historian Herodotus claimed that Khufu enslaved his people in order to erect his burial pyramid.  However, modern archaeologists have shown that these workers were hired by the pharoah and lived in prosperous villages near the construction site.  Many laborers have been shown to have even taken pride in their work, calling themselves "Friends of Khufu" and other titles of royal allegiance.    http://guardians.net/egypt/khufu.htm

Sources:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/pyramids/khufu.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/17/world/middleeast/17cairo.html?_r=1

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

When Gene Kelly filmed the famous dance sequence from Singin' in the Rain, he was actually singin' in the milk!
With the filming technology at the time, it was very difficult to capture small, clear droplets of rain on camera. To get around this, the filmmakers added milk to the mixture, making it more easily visible.

Some other interesting facts about Singin' in the Rain:

**About $160,000 was spent on costuming. 
**Debbie Reynolds' singing ability was somewhat limited.  In the scene where Debbie Reynolds' character Kathy is dubbing over the voice of Jean Hagen's character Lina Lamont, Hagen is actually dubbing over Reynolds!

**Gene Kelly had a fever of 103 degrees when filming the famous dance sequence.  You'll never believe Gene Kelly was sick as a dog as he's getting wetter than a drowned rat here:

This is even more impressive when you consider that Kelly not only was required to dance, but also had to drench himself...all while looking HAPPY!  Then again, perhaps his illness was helpful to him?  People have been known to catch "dancing fever" after all.  All joking aside though, there has never been a performer quite like Gene Kelly.  He is an American film icon and I recommend that you check out one of the most popular song and dance scenes in any musical. [/b] [/font]

Source: http://www.suite101.com/content/classic-film-singin-in-the-rain-1952-a138083
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

In 1930, New York Yankee's star Babe Ruth made more money than the President of the United States!

After making $70,000 each of the previous three seasons, the Great Bambino's salary was upped another ten grand in 1930.   Amidst the Great Depression, this made the Yankee slugger's pay even greater than that of President Herbert Hoover, who only made $75,000 a year!  When asked about the situation, Ruth said, "What the hell has Hoover got to do with it?  Besides, I had a better year than he did."  The Sultan of Swat has a point... while he was rewriting the record books, Hoover's presidency was more like a series of swings and misses.

Note: in the modern era, this phenomenon is no longer quite so amazing.  At $32 million each year, Alex Rodriguez makes EIGHTY TIMES President Obuma's annual salary!

Source:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27651122/ns/business-sports_biz/t/long-term-deals-will-keep-sports-afloat/

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's bodyguards are all virgin females.  He claims that the 40-woman entourage symbolize his belief in female emancipation.  However, each girl is required to swear an oath to Gaddafi saying that they will give their lives to him, never leaving his side and remaining virgins!  The position is viewed as being very prestigious, so numerous women put themselves through a rigorous training program which teaches them martial arts and firearms training. 

In 1998, their skills were put to the ultimate test when an assassination attempt was made on Gaddafi.... one woman was killed when she threw her body into the line of fire, and seven others were severely wounded.

Source:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1192494/More-make-hair-dye-40-virgin-bodyguards-Gaddafi-murderous-menace.html

--Warph

-- Warph

W. Gray

Warph,

At $32 million per year, I believe Alex Rodriguez makes 80 times more than President Obama's annual salary, rather than 8 times more.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Warph

Quote from: W. Gray on June 22, 2011, 10:17:24 AM
Warph,

At $32 million per year, I believe Alex Rodriguez makes 80 times more than President Obama's annual salary, rather than 8 times more.

Man.... you're right.  Someone stole my "Y".... I think Teresa was over here last night, poking around like she does.  You don't think it was her, do you, Waldo?  It coulda been Larry J .... he hangs out over here most of the time.... him and R.A.M.B.O.  You don't think Jarhead might of put him and his dog up to stealing my "Y," do you ???  Wouldn't put it past Jarhead.  He's always been jealous of my Air Force.

--Warph

-- Warph

jarhead

WARPH, Ol Sarge and Patriot all Fly Boys ?? If Larry tells me that although he was in the Army but dated a WAC, I'm gonna surrender !!! I'm still holding out hope that Ross was at least a Swabbie. Nothing new though---my beloved Corps seems to always be outnumbered but we still "persevere" (Did y'all notice I said "persevere" in my  Chief Dan George imitation ? ) Now I know that will be over ol Sarge's head but Larry is an old movie fan and knows what I'm talking about.

Warph

Speaking of Chief Dan George (1899 - 1981), the late Chief was a real Chief of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation, a Coast Salish band located on Burrard Inlet in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.  He was an author, an Academy Award-nominated actor but, above all, he was a poet:

"May the stars carry your sadness away,
May the flowers fill your heart with beauty,
May hope forever wipe away your tears,
And, above all, may silence make you strong."
--Chief Dan George

His character, LONE WATIE was my favorite screen appearance by him in the 70's Clint Eastwood
film classic: THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES.  He also had an incredible sense of profound and
wise humor that was unforgettable:

From the film "Little Big Man" -  Chief Dan George Goes up to the mountain to die.
"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't."

"Proud Earth" by Chief Dan George

--Warph

-- Warph

Judy Harder

I loved anything Chief Dan George was in. Didn't he also do a commercial later in life that had to do with polution/or forest fires.
Now, I know Smokey Bear was forest spokesman............but if I remember right. Chief Dan George did one with an eagle flying over his country with all the improvement and all the chemical polution............and then he shed a tear................broke my heart.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk