Did You Know.....

Started by Warph, June 10, 2011, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Donald Trump, one of the world's most famous businessmen, has filed for bankruptcy FOUR TIMES.

It's true.  The famous billionaire and possible future president has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on four occasions, in 1992, 1994, 2004, and 2009.  Is this a sign that the esteemed businessman, and star of The Apprentice, may not actually be a good businessman?  Not according to Trump.  He argues that the businesses he's had to file bankruptcy for all eventually able to turn around to become profitable.  Bankruptcy is just something he had to resort to in order to manage debt.  As it turns out, bankruptcy can actually be good business.

Now you know.

Source: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/133317/20110412/donald-trump-bankruptcy.htm
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

The White House wasn't called the "White House" until 1901.  President Theodore Roosevelt gave the iconic building its name. That's over 100 years after it was completed and its first residents, John and Abigail Adams, moved in.  Prior to that, the president's home was known as the "Executive Mansion", the "President's House" and the "President's Palace."  We now just call it the White House, though it takes 570 gallons of paint to keep it that color.

Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/history

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Who Created the New York Yankee's Logo?

The insignia was first created back in 1877 by Louis B. Tiffany of the famous jeweler, Tiffany & Co.  The symbol was first struck on a medal that was awarded by the New York City Police Department to the first NYC policeman shot in the line of duty - Officer John McDowell.  Thirty-two years later the design was repurposed by the Yankees, then known as the "New York Highlanders."   The logo was adopted in order to compete with the orange NY symbol used by the rival New York Giants ballclub.  The New York press soon began to use the "Yankees" nickname in coverage of the Highlanders' games and in 1913 the nickname became official.  The logo has remained virtually unchanged to this day and is now one of the most recognizable symbols in all of sport.

Source: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/uniforms_logos.jsp

--Warph

-- Warph

Catwoman

This is really cool, Warph...Thank you... :)

Warph

I'm glad you like it, Cat.

The Tallest Volcano in our Solar System is 69,649 feet High.

That volcano, Olympus Mons (or "Mount Olympus") on the planet Mars, is 15 miles high and 300 miles wide!  That's more than twice as tall as Mount Everest, Earth's tallest peak!  Or for another visual aid, Olympus Mons is taller than 80 Eiffel Towers!  It's also the highest mountain in the solar system!  However, despite it's size, it's not very steep.  If you stood on it's slope, it wouldn't even seem like you were on a mountain at all.

Source: http://geology.com/articles/highest-point-on-mars.shtml
--Warph

-- Warph

Mom70x7

I also liked the Yankees information. Sent it to my husband, Jim, who's a diehard fan. Thanks.

Warph

What Is Anatidaephobia?  Anatidaephobia is defined as a pervasive, irrational fear that one is being watched by a DUCK.  The anatidaephobic individual fears that no matter where they are or what they are doing, a duck watches.  Sometimes that fear can become so intense as to completely stop a person's ability to maintain daily functioning. Unchecked, Anatidaephobia can become a debilitating condition that interferes with the person's social life, their personal life and job responsibilities. Untreated, Anatidaephobia touches every aspect of a person's life.  Anatidaephobia is derived from the Greek word "anatidae", meaning ducks, geese or swans and "phobos" meaning fear.

Source:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Anatidaephobia-The-Fear-of-Being-Watched-by-a-Duck

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck!

--Warph

-- Warph

larryJ

Oh, Lord!  I just spent 57 seconds waiting for the other one to move!  I need some serous help.  Oh wait, it's early yet.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

It was obviously Morse code...what did he say?

Warph

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 14, 2011, 10:28:48 AM
It was obviously Morse code...what did he say?

He said, "I see you, Diane and you better open this door or we're going to poop all over your back porch.... that is, if I can get my better half to move her butt!"

--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk