Did You Know.....

Started by Warph, June 10, 2011, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

The little people I have known all had normal sized parents,except for Alene who had that genetic defect even in cousins and aunts and uncles back through a great great great grandmother. All were just delightful people who did everything they wanted to do, they just might get at it a little differently.

farmgal67357

Quote from: Warph on June 24, 2011, 01:36:58 AM

Snooki from "Jersey Shore" is technically a dwarf.

Standing at a height of 4'9", Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi just barely passes the standard definition of dwarfism, which is an adult height at or below 4'10".... the advocacy group "Little People of America" also marks this as the standard cutoff.  Just don't call her a midget!  "Dwarf" or "little person" are terms that are typically deemed to be acceptable; "midget" is widely regarded to be quite offensive.

Source:  http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/growth/dwarfism.html

More on Snooki: http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmusic/news/snooki-weighed-just-80-pounds-while-battling-eating-disorder-2010191

Yeah, but what about the size of her......brain! Did I say that outloud?  :angel:

Lisa

Lisa

Ms Bear

After my greatgrandfather died my greatgrandmother married a man that was dwarf, all of his siblings and parents were normal size.  My mother loved having him as a grandfather as he was a very nice man and was very nice looking.  During World War I he was working in the theatre and circus and they were planning to send several of the group over to entertain the troops but they had to have all the required shots before leaving the states.  Most of the midgets died from the shots while the dwarfs had little or no reaction to them and that is when they found how important it was to determine the dose by weight instead of age.  Most of the midgets had smaller organs so they needed smaller doses while the dwarfs organs were larger and could take the adult dose.

Diane Amberg

That's a shame, but  it sure would be true. I wonder why they didn't consider that at the time?
I've even had questions asked in  EMT CPR classes too. Unless there is medical knowledge that would cause a change for some reason, a dwarf would get adult CPR and a midget would get child CPR, or enough chest compression depth to move the blood forward and create a pulse wave.

jarhead

Quote from Larry:
i almost had a shot at dating a USO girl, but she rotated out before I could make my move. 

Yes Larry, you have told me your Marine joke before-----twice now !!!. ;D

The way you said "I ALMOST had a shot at dating a USO girl' kinda reminded me of what ol Sarge told me once. We were sitting around talking about fishing and other boy talk and I made mention that I thought Barbara Eden from I Dream Of Jeannie , was a hottie. Sarge told me while he was I Nam he had a chance to "sleep" with Ms Eden. I was thinking she must have been on a USO tour but then ol Sarge went ahead and explained what he meant. He said, "yea, I was laying in my bunk at Cam Rahn Bay one night  and I was "ready" but Ms. Eden was in Hollywood so she missed her chance"
I thought you were pulling the same prank on me. :)

Diane Amberg

Lisa, at $6,000.per episode, who is dumber? Snookie, smiling all the way to the bank or the people who fork out that kind of money? ;D ;D ;D Her personal appearances pay even more. Aren't we in the wrong business? :P ;D

farmgal67357

We'd better get us some managers! Heck, I've done all sorts of stupid stuff. Too bad there were no cameras around! :laugh:

Lisa
Lisa

Warph

President Lincoln dreamt about his assassination ten days before it occurred.  Lincoln's recollection of the dream to a friend, a mere three days before the incident:

"About ten days ago, I retired very late. I had been up waiting for important dispatches from the front. I could not have been long in bed when I fell into a slumber, for I was weary. I soon began to dream. There seemed to be a death-like stillness about me."

"Then I heard subdued sobs, as if a number of people were weeping. I thought I left my bed and wandered downstairs. There the silence was broken by the same pitiful sobbing, but the mourners were invisible. I went from room to room; no living person was in sight, but the same mournful sounds of distress met me as I passed along. It was light in all the rooms; every object was familiar to me; but where were all the people who were grieving as if their hearts would break?"

"I was puzzled and alarmed. What could be the meaning of all this? Determined to find the cause of a state of things so mysterious and so shocking, I kept on until I arrived at the East Room, which I entered. There I met with a sickening surprise. Before me was a catafalque, on which rested a corpse wrapped in funeral vestments. Around it were stationed soldiers who were acting as guards; and there was a throng of people, some gazing mournfully upon the corpse, whose face was covered, others weeping pitifully. 'Who is dead in the White House?' I demanded of one of the soldiers 'The President' was his answer; 'he was killed by an assassin!' Then came a loud burst of grief from the crowd, which awoke me from my dream."

Source:  http://ezinearticles.com/?President-Abraham-Lincolns-Prophetic-Dream-That-Foretold-His-Own-Death-In-The-White-House&id=346986
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

There is a species of mushroom named after Spongebob Squarepants.  A new species of mushroom has the name Spongiforma squarepantsii.  Strangely enough, this new species isn't the only mushroom in the Spongiforma genus. 
Even though S. Squarepantsii is a fungus, not a sponge, the researchers were inspired to name it after Spongebob because it looks like a sea sponge.

Source:
  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13874049

===================================================================

Live animals are being sold as keyrings in China.  Chinese sidewalk vendors have recently begun selling animals sealed inside airtight packaging as keyring accessories!  Anyone heartless enough to purchase one of these trinkets has the option of abusing a tiny Brazil turtle or two small kingfish, each trapped inside a plastic pouch with some colored water.  One salesman claimed that the creatures could live as long as several months because the water contains "nutrients" .... a claim that is unlikely at best.

Even if this were true, it doesn't excuse the fact that the creatures have no space to move around in, very little air, and are likely to be smashed in someone's pocket.  The worst part is that this practice is completely legal!  Chinese law prohibits the sale of wild animals, but apparently the legislation does not apply to selling turtles and fish in such inhumane fashion.

Source:
  http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/03/live-animals-being-sold-as-keyrings-in-china.php

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

The Seven Billionth Baby Due This Fall

The United Nations Population Division predicts that the world's population (currently estimated at over 6.9 billion http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html ) will reach the 7 billion mark on October 31 of this year.  Statistically, the 7 billionth person will likely be born in Asia.  However, it's impossible to know which child is truly the 7 billionth because there are thousands of babies born every hour.  The UN recognized a child born in Sarajevo, Bosnia as the six billionth person.  That was only 12 years ago.

Source:  http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/billionth+person+expected+this+fall/4985345/story.html

=================================================

Anatolian Shepherd versus Siamese Cat Boxing Match.  Oh the joys of pet ownership.

--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk