Hummingbirds and others

Started by Judy Harder, May 11, 2011, 03:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delbert

Stop feeding the humming birds so they will head south with the buzzards.

Wilma

Our feeder came in a week ago.  Haven't seen a hummingbird for at least two weeks.

farmgal67357

I have a nest in a bush in the front of the house, and I think I saw a bird visiting it. I didn't get a good look at the bird, I wonder what it could be, a thrush maybe?
Lisa
Lisa

Judy Harder

I haven't seen hummingbirds since the first of October.......left feeder up a few more days but decided
that stragglers would just have to visit the flowers still in bloom. We do still have plenty for them. No hard
freeze yet.
Lisa, there are all kinds of birds who may visit you. Wrens are here most of winter and the sparrows are busy and so are
the other birds. Until a very cold/freeze we are blessed with birds of all kinds and if you can post a pic, I am sure someone will identify it for you..........LOL after all we are birdwatchers and neighborhood watchers and until we must close our windows/blinds for drafts/night will always, well most times, know what is going on here/ther at home. Enjoy the view out your window, never know what you will see! LOL
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

farmgal67357

I love birdwatching! I put seed in my feeder when it gets cold out. I still need to get a bird bath, if anyone has a cement one they want to get rid of, let me know. I'll keep an eye on the bush and see if I can get a picture. Meanwhile, I'm putting a little bird house out by a circular rock planter in the yard, maybe I'll get tenants someday! Since it's round, I call it my fairy ring..... :)
Lisa
Lisa

Judy Harder

My friend across the sidewalk feeds the birds, I feed the hummingbirds and we both enjoy each others hobby.
If I fed, and I have, I would only feed my cat, this way, the birds have a fair chance. We both love the animals,
birds and 4 legged, but I found I could afford the sugar easier than the bird feed plus I don't have enough room to store
the amount I would need.
I would love a fairy ring.
Even a shallow pan filled with water on ground makes a great bird bath. Have fun!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Wilma

Remember about a week ago I said that I didn't think we would see any more of the blue birds?  I was wrong.  There were five of them bathing and drinking at the water hole this evening.

Wilma

Daughter winterized our bird bath this morning, so I went to the window to check it out.  A crow flew in with something in his beak, dropped it into the water, got his drink, than picked up the item and flew away.  The item was a shucked acorn and I in my ignorance, thought it would sink and he wouldn't be able to get it.  It floated and he had no trouble picking it up.

When I say winterize the bird bath, I mean that she puts a small rubber tub such as is used to feed horses, into the bird bath.  Then she puts the automatic water warmer in and puts a brick on each side of it.  The bricks are to keep the warmer from being pulled out and to provide a perch for the smaller birds if the water gets low.  She also tapes the plug in connection to make it waterproof and tapes the whole thing to the hook that holds the water hose in place.  Then she filled the tub.  I was curious to see if the birds were accepting the change.  The crows, at least, were.

Wilma

I have learned something.  You all know that I watch the birds at my feeder that is attached to the house right under a window.  It makes bird watching simple:  ie:  I don't have to go out in the cold.  Anyway, I have been watching the blue jays and have observed what I thought was piggish behaviour.  They were swallowing sunflower seed as fast as they could pick them up.  Then I noticed that one of them had a fat throat.  Then he picked up a seed and flew off.  I got to wondering if blue jays have pouches like squirrels that they can fill and carry away to store.  They do.  One of the sources on the internet calls it a throat pouch.  Now I am wondering just where they are stashing my sunflower seeds for future consumption and can they find them later.

Diane Amberg

I've seen them stashing them behind loose pieces of tree bark, especially our pines.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk