Hummingbirds and others

Started by Judy Harder, May 11, 2011, 03:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

I have been enjoying the birds this spring. Even better instead of feeding a couple of them, I am honored to have at least 3 pair of them..........the males are the ruby throat hummingbird..........
They showed up a week before I was scheduled to put the feeder out and almost knocked on the window for me to get it filled and out there. Ever since they have been coming and coming.
Think I have filled it 3 times so far and even put one out at another apartment here and Steve says they have been keeping him entertained, too.
Had a pair of Orioles (Baltimore, I think) maybe 2 males and at least one female...try to drink out of the feeder. Beautiful birds.
Last few days 3 are at the feeder when it gets light in morning and stay busy all day taking turns with the other parent.
Today, they are coming in turns............I wish I knew where their nests are and that my eyes could see them. But, they have to be close.....not long between the turns.
We have also had robins, cardinals, the sparrows are here of course, chickadees, and we have also been honored by 2 ring-necked dove....they are huge. Caught them walking down the sidewalk one day and almost went the whole way before they took flight. Funny, almost like 2 of our tenants toddling down the sidewalk............myself and Irene walk like that.. LOL. anyway I am very glad I can be where I can look, and so glad I take time to look.
Beautiful world we live in, if we just look and pay attention to what we see.
Wish I had a camera that would let me take pitures of them in flight and at the feeder.
Oh, I was standing by the feeder the other night working in garden and a couple came down to feed and just sat there watching me. I was wearing a red shirt and worried they would check me out. As you can see......I love it
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

sixdogsmom

Judy, if you have some old yarn, cut it into about 20 inch lengths and hang it around for the orioles to gather for nestmaking. It's fun to watch them gather it, and also you might spy their nest with the bright colored yarn.
Edie

Diane Amberg

Baltimore Orioles are the pretty orange and black ones that make long nests that hang down like socks .Around here they love to build in willow trees. Ours like orange slices. Sometimes we see Orchard Orioles too, which are more red and black.  Isn't this a wonderful time of year to see birds?

Judy Harder

even in the winter I always look out for the birds. Irene and I do feed them. I just have to watch where I feed them. I let Sassy run when I am outside and she will raid the mess under the feeder (as well as cat-stuff) and then I do have Fred my cat and I would just be feeding him a richer diet if I were to feed.............
I can't get enough of them.
I had 2 different type of males. One pair were Baltimore O's and then other pair was an Oriole, but a different type. No they aren't juvenile...........I have misplaced my birdbook and didn't look it up.
I know the trees they are in and each time I walk back from the store, they are usually singing, if not to me, just cause they are feeling good, etc.
thanks for the suggestion Edie, I will remember the yarn
Here I am Lord, use me!

Wilma

My treat for today.  An indigo bunting is visiting my bird feeder.  I have seen these birds as they hurriedly flew away from the approaching car, but never as close as just the other side of my window.  They are beautiful.

There is a lady in our area, Gloria Jones-Wolf, who is somewhat of an expert on birds.  I wish she would join our Forum and help us out with our questions about birds.

Anyway, that is my treat for today.  If I don't get another one, I will still be happy.

Judy Harder

I agree, Wilma.....each morning while reading and posting the devotions the birds are busy outside my window
most mornings when sun is out I get a serenade of music that you can't get on the radio/tv and it gets my heart
and mood into good shape for the day.
We just have to look and listen and (OH BOY, His blessings are so Good!)
I too wish Gloria Jone-Wolf would join us, would be a whole new chapter for Teresa to add to the list of topics.Tis a thought.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Teresa

I had 2 red throated hummingbirds today and a Baltimore Oriole at my feeders..  :) Bonnie Helms has a Baltimore O. feeder that is wood and has 2 carved out places for grape jelly.. I want one! I haven't looked real hard yet.. but she had the orioles at hers lapping up that grape jelly.. It was awesome to watch them. 
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

I have had something unusual happening here.  A pair of cardinals are feeding an immature cowbird.  I have read that cowbirds lay their eggs in other birds' nests where they are hatched and raised with the couple's own offspring.  Now I have seen it.  Yesterday they were at the feeder and this evening they were at the bird bath where Papa Cardinal gave whatever he had in his beak to the young cowbird.  Now I am sure it is a cowbird as it exactly matches the picture of the immature cowbird in my bird book and has none of the identifying features of a cardinal.

Diane Amberg

That surely was a cow bird.We have them here too.They will out compete the intended babies for food and often push them out of the nest so they are all that's left to be raised.

Wilma

There is a stranger at my feeder this morning.  Looks like a turtle dove, walks like a turtle dove except---it has white on it's wings, darkish markings along the lower part of the wings and a black spot on it's cheeks.  My book identifies it as a white winged dove which are common in the south parts of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, but not at all common in Kansas.  Daughter theorizes that the fires in the south has driven it north.  Has anyone else seen one of the pretty birds?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk