Interesting statement from Patriot

Started by Anmar, April 21, 2011, 10:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmar

In the coffee shop, Patriot has started a number of threads with regards to local politics.  I'm happy to see people getting involved at the local level, but I feel like there's some kind of strange disconnect between whats going on at the local level, and the national level.

For example, I saw this

Quote.  Government should (even at the local level) set about to protect (not provide) the ability of private citizens to enjoy life & pursue individual aspirations. 

This is pretty much the democrat view on regulation.  I happen to agree with it.  The government should be protecting the people, not just from foreign threats, but large corporations, who do a whole lot more to infringe on private citizens than some guys in some caves around the world ever did.  So why is it that the far right is so eager to embrace the big corporations, billionaires, and to work in their favor?  And lets face it,  the left does to, but more covertly. 

Also, how does a weak puny, and poor federal government fight multinational corporations?

Quote. My problem is with any private group that uses such programs to befriend the public while also advancing a political agenda of the few. 

Tea Party?

QuoteWhen a select few elitists both influence the government and are the government, there is a conflict.

Both parties flagrantly are guilty of this one.  but you attack one and support the other,  interesting.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Patriot

Perhaps you misconstrue my position.  First, my tagline here says that social engineering on the left or right usually ends in a train wreck. The line between protecting and providing can become vague at times.  Protection doesn't mean to protect me from my own free choices or the consequences thereof.  I don't believe that either party, or any ideology should be governing with an agenda of using the citizenry as a giant social or economic experiment.  Such attempts to manipulate me, by either left or right, grate heavily. The concept of an individual as sovereign over his or her life is sadly being lost to elite political and special interest manipulations.

I've never advocated a weak, puny government.  Only a government that keeps its' nose out of my private life.  Proviso my private actions don't infringe on the liberties of another.  Moreover, I would prefer a balance in the political arena that is not so greatly influenced by any special interest be it unions, megacorps, environmentalists, or whatever.  GE, by example, has become one of many groups that should stick to building washing machines and avert its attention from attempting to influence government for tax or other advantage.  Code pink might find a less obtrusive way to advance its' agenda, as could PETA and the folks at Westborough Baptist.

I disagree that the modern democrat party is any more or less prone to regulation than the republican party.  I think the are both too prone to regulate in their own ideological interests, the average citizen be damned.  At some point, the citizen needs to take responsibility for their own choices (wise or otherwise).  Government, at least constitutionally, should not be micromanaging private lives (ie the EPA considering regulations about dust on farms and other such silliness). 

You ask Tea party?  I'll add union collectives.

No, I am opposed to modern and post-modern progressive agendas when displayed on either side.  And they are.  I'm not too fond of religious extremism in public policy either.  Both are really about socio-economic engineering & control over the individual.  Both likely end up in a train wreck.

I really don't discriminate with regard to elitist influence.  Elitists exist on all sides.  Give them political power/influence and you have a problem.  You missed the many complaints I've sent to the republican side of the house when they've tended to outgrow their political pants (Bush's collusion to outlaw incandescent light bulbs...among other things).  Personally I think 'professional politicians' are a stench on the republic... right, left, or down the middle.  Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk