Another side of the windfarm story...one you probably haven't heard

Started by Patriot, April 11, 2011, 10:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Quote from: srkruzich on April 14, 2011, 02:32:10 PM
I've got a question for those who are in the know.  Jobs have been scarce primarily due to the fact that there wasn't a good infrastructure in place i.e. water for one.  Now that Elk has water, what is being done to attract companies.  Surely the powers that be could court industry and bring them into the county.  

Now that Elk has water?  You mean the current new projects that will primarily service east Elk and Flint Oak.  Don't forget the other needs of industry as well... stable sources of electricity, proximity to suppliers, a stable and available labor force, etc.  That doesn't negate the responsibilities of our elected officials to make the effort, but it seems we are more concerned with having kum-bah-ya sessions to alleviate historical animosities between 5 local towns than we are in putting the county on the map in a substantial way.  The population here is both aging and shrinking (and/or employed by government).  Our challenges are large an a long way from resolved.

2010 Census facts about Elk County:

Population, 2009 estimate                              3,001         (Down 7.9% April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009)
Persons under 5 years old, percent, 2009      5.9%         (Not a big labor draw)
Persons under 18 years old, percent, 2009    20.7%     (Too young to employ full time)
Persons 65 years old and over, percent, 2009    23.8%     (Likely retired & not likely to start a new career)
Persons with a disability, age 5+, 2000              720         (Business is not in love with the rising cost of handicap accommodation)  
Median household income, 2008                     $32,462    (Not indicative of strong local investment sources)
Housing units, 2009                                      1,920         (New industry/labor need somewhere to live)

Now, add that to the highest property tax rates for cars & personal property in the state and show me the incentives to open a substantial new business.  By the way, just how much land along Hwy 99 & 160 are available for business/industrial development (with the possible exception of River Rd., our roads are not a feature tourist attraction)?

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on April 14, 2011, 02:46:33 PM
Now that Elk has water?  You mean the current new projects that will primarily service east Elk and Flint Oak.  Don't forget the other needs of industry as well... stable sources of electricity, proximity to suppliers, a stable and available labor force, etc.  Like I said, our challenges are a long way from over.
Your right but i think the water issue was primary.  And yeah stable source of electricity lol yeah your right on that, however isn't a wind farm going in????  :O wouldn't that be a source of electricity!????
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

mtcookson

Not for us. It is being sold out of state, naturally. Even then, wind energy is probably the farthest from stable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk