Observations

Started by larryJ, March 10, 2011, 05:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryJ

Over the years I often thought that each year comes with a certain set of problems.  I mean there were years where small appliances failed and had to be replaced.  Years where there were repairs or replacement of major appliances such as the washer or dryer. 

This year it seems to be the latter.  We have had the dryer fixed and the car battery had to be replaced.  Last week on Thursday I felt the house seemed warm and I checked the thermostat on the A/C.  It is set to go on when the temperature in the house reaches 79 degrees.  The temp was 85 and the A/C wasn't working.  I called Friday morning to the company that I have used in the past and within a few hours a service tech shows up and gets the thing working.  He fixed some things he thought might be the problem. 

Cost..........$672.

Friday afternoon the A/C quit working and I called Saturday morning and the guy came right out and said the problem was probably the 60 year old circuit breaker.  He got it going but told me I might have to reset the breaker if it stops working.

cost..........$0.

Saturday after a while it quit working again.  It is a little difficult for me to reach the circuit breaker panel and I decided that I would live with it unless it got unbearable.  Of course by this time the repair company was gone for the three day holiday.

Tuesday I called to remind them about my problem and within a few hours two guys came and replaced the circuit breaker and completely tuned up the A/C cleaning the coils and such.  So now the things works.  It is a 12 year old unit and the service guy said that this particular unit usually last about 10 years. 

cost...........$520.

total cost.......$1192.

cost of a new central air unit.......approximately $7500.

(sigh)

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

larryJ

Another longer sigh......

I really love it when a hurricane comes to the U.S.  The Weather Channel sees fit to put some of their weather/news people (read morons) out in the open like in a parking lot with no cover of any kind and the rain coming down and the wind blowing like crazy.  You can hardly hear what they are saying sometimes and the rain becomes so much that you can hardly see them.  I just sit and wait until a big gust comes along and blows them into the next county.  Sadly that hasn't happened yet that I know of.  They must get paid a lot of money.

Yet I remained addicted. ;D

Larryj

Diane Amberg

I do not like it when a hurricane comes to the US. I'm sure you know why. We lucked out on this one as Florence went 'way south of us, but hit where I have friends who had to bug out and will be out of their houses for some time. Our fire company and many near us sent people and apparatus down to Raleigh to be available to help in whatever way possible. We haven't seen the sun in days now because of the storm and may get rain from it as it finally goes inland and winds its way north and finally east several days from now. We've had lots of rip tides here and some beach erosion. Fortunately our beach season is about over.

larryJ

Sorry, Diane, I was only trying to be sarcastic as to the Weather Channel.  I know these storms are devastating and affect a lot of people.  We have the same problems with brush fires and mud slides on occasion.  My wife has a cousin who stayed with us for four years until last February when she moved to Raleigh, N.C., to live with an aging Uncle.  I am sure she is getting a lot of weather from Florence.  She chooses to not keep in touch very often so we don't know what her situation is right now.  Our daughter does seem to keep in touch with her however so we may know soon how she is doing.  Her Uncle is 92 and still going strong. 

I heard that some Los Angeles fire companies went to North Carolina last week to help our.  I can't imagine them moving all their equipment and supplies clear across country.  That is amazing to me.

Larryj

Diane Amberg

I knew you weren't really serious about the storms.You are a very nice person and I know you wouldn't be serious about such a comment. (I feel the same way about earthquakes!) As I write this we are getting drenched by the last vestiges of Florence. Our little state also sent down a convoy of apparatus and firefighter/EMTs, including a number from my own fire company, several days ago. I hear they have been kept quite busy. My one girlfriend, who lives in Wilmington,NC, finally made it back home to find several large trees down and no electricity of course, but no serious damage to her house.In spite of everything, I'm sure she would rather be at home instead of being cooped up in a hotel.

Diane Amberg

Oh, and one more thing.The weather folks were shown outside in the storm so no one would accuse it of being"fake news." HA!! I'm sure someone will suggest there really was no hurricane and all those folks were really professional actors!

larryJ

I took a quick look back to see if I had mentioned that Sir Charles had been diagnosed with cancer and had to be put down back in June.  My wife and many others went on a hunt for a replacement.  On August 13 we acquired a cocker spaniel puppy age 3 months.  He is a real delight, very loving and fun to watch attacking his toys.  He shakes his head so hard I am afraid he will hurt himself.  When I wake up in the morning he insists on sitting on my lap or up on my bed.  Last Friday he had to have an eye operation for Cherry Eye.  This is something I had never heard of.  He was also neutered at the same time.  He was home that afternoon wearing one of those lampshade things.  He will have to wear it for two weeks. 

That said.........I have been working with him about where he should go when the urge to pee or poop hits him.  We have a doggie door which allows him to go to the backyard.  So in training I get him to the doggie door and show him by pushing him how to go through the door.  He goes out with the push and has no problem finding the door to come back in.  In the last few days he has learned to go out by himself although there are still "messes" in the house. 

Now.........he has this gigantic lampshade thing on.  My thought was we would have to postpone his training while he was wearing this thing.  I didn't think he could get in and out the door.  This morning when I woke I saw him head for the door and go out.  HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He didn't let the lampshade slow him down.

Then........he came up on my bed with me and I removed the lampshade to give him some relief.  We cuddled for a while and I put it back on.  He again went out the doggie door and I moved over to the computer only to find a "present" next to my desk.

A work in progress.  But I really like this dog and he seems to like me more than our previous dogs have.

Nice.

Larryj

Diane Amberg

Hooray... a new pup. Enjoy all his goofiness and action! He will keep you young.

larryJ

And more.........when I say he seems to like me more than our previous dogs it is true that dogs pick the person they want to be around.  Today he is six months old.  While he can now jump onto the couches or my recliner he can't handle the height of the hospital bed.  So when he wakes up in the morning I have to help him up and he will just lay between my legs and go back to sleep............maybe.  The annoying part of this is that he doesn't know how to tell time and tries to jump on my bed at, oh say, 3:30 in the morning.  So I help him up and all he wants to do is play biting at my hand, etc.  Then he leaves and I am awake for an hour or so.  Then he comes back around 7 and I help him up and he quietly lays down between my legs and goes to sleep.  Hmm.

As far as the cherry eye.....his left eye was done as I mentioned.  Then his right eye had to be done.  That operation was not successful and had to be redone.  I am spending a fortune on a dog that has decided I am the one he most wants to be around.  Sigh......oh well it's worth it.

Here is a thing to ponder.  When we bought our house we picked this one because of the closeness of the schools.  The elementary school was about three blocks away.  The middle school was down at the end of our street and the high school was a half mile away.  Last year the school board decided to close the elementary school due to a decreasing enrollment and a lower quality rating from the state.  It was a good school when my kids went there.  Now it has been converted to a senior center.  They provide lunch and there are groups that play cards, etc.  The old senior center was on the other side of town.  But unless they open one in my living room I probably won't be going.  But it is nice that they did open a place. 

On another note and from another thread.......Diane mentioned something about a thing called snow.  I don't know what that is.  It is probably similar to the ashes that are falling all over Los Angeles.

Larryj

Dignified Redneck

Good evening from Kansas!  We are enjoying some cold wind and snow this week. Just did some catching up on your posts. Sounds like you have been kept busy the past couple of months. Carl and I attended the annual music program for our two oldest granddaughters this evening. The oldest one is quite invested in the performing arts ( does "diva" come to mind) and the youngest one is shy and does good to stand up in front of a crowd. Thank you for sharing your life's "happenings", makes me feel somewhat normal. Didn't dawn on me that Thanksgiving is less than 10 days away until the daughter in law asked me what the plans are for Thanksgiving. Uuugh!!!! It can't be that time of year already. Hugs from Kansas. Deb Garison
Age & treachery will outlast youth & skill any time !!!!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk