Observations

Started by larryJ, March 10, 2011, 05:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryJ

The frustration continues............

Yesterday afternoon a guy called and said he was processing the repair order and we would have a water heater by.........................Tuesday or Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My wife gently and calmly told the guy that was not good and to move things along faster.  She said things like, "would your elderly parents go without hot water for a week?" and "my husband depends on having hot water because it is necessary for his health" and so on.  Finally the guy said for us to get the water heater replaced by another plumber and we would receive a voucher for most of the cost of doing that. 

Today we will call another plumber and have the thing replaced today.  Both of our kids normally have softball games to go to on Saturday, but because rain will be coming the games will be cancelled and they  will be coming here to help out in case the plumber can't. 

In the meantime, I am going to heat up some water on the stove so I can shave.

Needless to say I am not happy with this home warranty plan and after this problem is resolved it will probably be cancelled.

Larryj

HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

jprxmkt

I had a similar frustration after I bought the tire warranty that pays for any flat tire and other tire related issues.  The problem was you have to call before you get the tire fixed to make sure the place you are getting it fixed is approved.  When you have a flat tire, the last thing you want to do is be put on hold waiting for someone to come to the line to report your flat tire and get their approval to have it fixed.  The shop also has to jump through certain hoops such as measure how much tread is left and document it on the receipt. Too frustrating! I will never be talked into buying that coverage again.

larryJ

When I stop to think about it....people buy these warranties fearing the worse situations like a major appliance breaking down and replacing it would be expensive.  But when you think about it.........how often in your lifetime has that happened and is it worth it to pay a monthly fee for limited protection.  I think not.

For example.........when the guy from the warranty called on Friday we were informed that they would replace the water heater and that there would be a $891 additional charge for "incidentals"  like disposing of the old one, etc.  So I pay $55 a month for the warranty, $100 deductible for the service call and then $891 for "incidentals".  Total $1046 total cost.  And we could expect the thing to be replaced on Tuesday or Wednesday.  After venting her feelings to the guy he then said to get an outside plumber and they would give us a voucher for $1075.

That said........Yesterday we called a local plumber at 10 AM and he was here by 11 AM, replaced the water heater and was gone by 1 PM.  Total cost $1575.  Subtract the voucher and our cost is $500.  Adding in the deductible I already had paid for a service call from the warranty people and the monthly cost for the warranty the total out of pocket is $655.  A savings of $391 and I don't have to wait three more days for a water heater. I am done with the warranty people pending approval from my better half. ;D

Second item running around in my mind this morning.  Daylight Savings Time.  All of my life I made it a point to change the clocks before going to bed on Saturday night.  This was necessary in my younger years because of work and the kids school schedules.  I still did this up to this year out of habit.  Last night when I was going to bed I said to my wife, "I have to change the clocks for DST."  She said, "Aren't you tired?"  I said, "yeah, but it has to be done."  She said. "Do you have somewhere you have to be tomorrow?"  I looked at her thinking how wonderful this woman was and how wise she was and I said, "Good night, Love you." :-*

Larryj

Dignified Redneck

Happy to hear your "hot water" story involved an actual hot water heater! Sounds like you are feeling better. Kudos to your wife for being "persistent" in this matter. Things are dry and dusty here in Kansas. Our son's house came to "very" close to being destroyed by a fire caused by some fool (1/2 mile north of his house) cutting metal on one of the 50 mph windy days last week. Very humbling experience for that young man. Zeke, "man of many words" (sarcastic remark by mom) actually thanked his father for insisting that the dead leaves from the trees on the west side of the house be raked up and done away with. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will eventually get somewhere!
Age & treachery will outlast youth & skill any time !!!!!!!!!!

larryJ

Glad to hear that your son did not lose his house.  I seem to remember a kid driving around on a lawnmower at his grandpa's house a long long time ago. :D

Addendum to the water heater story..........My home health care provides a person who come to the house to help me in the shower.  I had to postpone her on the Friday she was supposed to be here because we had no hot water.  After the water heater was installed she was able to help me on the following Monday.  She will probably be here today, but I am getting stronger and may not need help anymore after today. 

Secondly......I mentioned that the warranty company would send a voucher.  They did do that and the check was for about the amount we actually spent.  It came from a company we did not recognize and after a check on the computer I saw that they were associated with our warranty company.  So the check is legit and we are going to put it in the savings account just in case that somewhere down the line they might want it back. ;D

Getting back to Kansas......I don't ever remember it being dry and dusty there.  I remember that we had to wait to bale hay until noon when the dew wore off the hay. 

Larryj

larryJ

When I woke this morning my first thought was..........what day is it?

Oh yeah, it's Monday.

May 28.

My son's birthday.  Wow he turns 41 today.  He is in San Diego at an all stars softball tournament in which his daughter is playing in.

It's Memorial Day, well, the legal holiday.

Memories of going to Grace Lawn to put flowers on my father's grave with a lot of relatives putting flowers on other family members graves and there were many.

All of this within the first five minutes as I make my first cup of coffee.

Larryj

larryJ

I have mentioned in the past that my wife and I take care of our two oldest granddaughters on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and every other Friday.  We share the week with the other grandparents.  During the school year this amounts to picking them up from school and they stay here for a few hours until their father picks them up.  Now their school has ended for the year.  They are dropped off about 7 in the morning and stay all day.  This is a normal summer schedule and it's all good.  They don't require much as they have their IPads and choose to isolate themselves from each other for their privacy.  My wife plays board games with them also.  Next week they will go on a two week vacation with the other grandparents.

I may have mentioned that for some years I have had a spot on my scalp right on the peak that I kept ignoring until I started seeing spots of blood on my pillow.  So I finally went to the dermatologist and it was diagnosed as benign skin cancer.  I was sent to the head surgeon and she removed it and stapled my head back together.  Yesterday they removed the staples and it's all good.  Well, except my bald spot got a little balder.

I have not mentioned that the dog groomer who comes to the house mentioned that Sir Charles (Charlie) might have lymph node problems and he should be seen by a Vet.  My wife took him and after the tests done by the Vet it was determined he probably has cancer.  We were given some medicine to see if it helps, but it doesn't seem to be decreasing the nodes much.  The Vet called a week or so ago and said there could be some kind of fungus also and to pick up some more medicine for him.  He is now seven years old and still very active.  When the girls come through the door he goes bananas happy to see them.  But I think his days might be numbered.  That is not good.

Larryj

Catwoman

Prayers going up for both you and your fur baby. 

larryJ

Last Saturday there was a noticeable difference in Charlie's behavior and a slowness to his normal routine.  At times he seemed confused as to where he wanted to go.  He always jumped up on the couch but had not be doing that lately.  Sunday he was very lethargic.  The decision was made to return to the Vet on Monday.  My daughter met my wife at the Vet.  The Vet said it was time to let Charlie go. 

Rest In Peace, Sir Charles............

Sadly, Larryj

larryJ

As I spend my waking hours watching TV and playing on the computer I have made some observations.

My daughter-in-law and my daughter have decided I need to read more.  My daughter-in-law takes me to my monthly Doctor appointments and last month ordered me three books while we were enjoying our Starbucks coffer after the appointment.  (Yes there is a Starbucks on the hospital grounds.)  She was asking what I like to read and promptly ordered the books which over the course of a month I have finished reading.  Last Sunday, my daughter brought over two books she thought I might like.  She picked them up from a person at her work who was getting rid of her books.  I finished those in a week.

Why do I bring this up?  Have you ever read a book that has no "happily ever after"?  I just read a book about a reporter traveling in the Middle East talking to terrorists and going through some really scary and harrowing situations.  At the end of the book (spoiler alert) he and others are trying to escape an attack by ISIS terrorists.  So............does he make it?  Does he get the girl he likes in the story?  What happened to his friends?

Me thinks that is no way to end a book.

On to binge watching TV.  I have never been a fan of soap operas.  Looking for something to watch I decided to start watching One Tree Hill.  I had not heard of this show.  But then I got hooked  and it is nine seasons long.  For those of you who are soap opera fans you know the feeling you have when...........

You want to strangle the bad guy and you hope that at some point he dies.....ain't gonna happen.
You want to cry when a young couple have too many problems that keeps them from finally being together.
You are upset when one of the good guys does die but you are happy when they bring him back as a ghost.
You try to figure out who is going to marry who among the eight main couples because they keep changing.
And.........because you have the ability to watch the entre series as much as you want you can't wait to see the next chapter. 

So much drama!

And that is my day ;D

Larryj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk