Observations

Started by larryJ, March 10, 2011, 05:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

I did just look it up...nifty!  I don't think Al's legs could handle that spiral staircase though...and he'd never let me have any room in that little bathroom. He really spreads out! It sounds like you had a very relaxing time in a beautiful area. How's the fishing on that pier?

larryJ

That loft was basically designed for smaller people like children.  However, my wife did sleep up there.  On the last day, she made our granddaughter bring everything down as she had just about had it with the spiral staircase.  The bad part is that once you are up there you must crawl, you can't stand up or even really rise up higher than a crawling position.  I only went up once or twice to help the GD figure out the remote control for the cute little pink TV.  I think I would be too claustrophobic to sleep up there.

And, as you can see from the picutres, there is a front porch with chairs.  Not shown are triangular shaped trays atop the railing for coffee cups and drinks of any kind.  Sitting out there in the morning or evening with something liquid is very delightful, just watching the ocean, the extreme beachwear fashions, the Marines from nearby doing there morning and evening jogs, rented wheeled conveyances going up and down the strand.

The bathroom is a minus.......although the shower is good size.  But, you almost have to open the door to turn around.  But, hey, it's a vacation.............enjoy what you got.

Wait until next year!

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

larryJ

Got this off Facebook from a friend.  Thought I would post it.

IN AMERICA- WE HAVE TO PRESS "1" TO SPEAK ENGLISH
IN AMERICA- THE HOMELESS GO WITHOUT EATING
IN AMERICA- THE ELDERLY GO WITHOUT NEEDED MEDICINES
IN AMERICA- THE MENTALLY ILL GO WITHOUT TREATMENT
IN AMERICA- OUR TROOPS GO WITHOUT PROPER EQUIPMENT
IN AMERICA- OUR VETS GO WITHOUT PROMISED BENEFITS
YET, WE DONATE BILLIONS TO OTHER COUNTRIES BEFORE HELPING OUR OWN! HAVE THE GUTS TO RE-POST THIS? 1% WILL, 99% WON'T HAVE THE NERVE

Larryj

Janet Harrington

Quote from: larryJ on August 20, 2011, 01:14:39 PM
That loft was basically designed for smaller people like children.  However, my wife did sleep up there.  On the last day, she made our granddaughter bring everything down as she had just about had it with the spiral staircase.  The bad part is that once you are up there you must crawl, you can't stand up or even really rise up higher than a crawling position.  I only went up once or twice to help the GD figure out the remote control for the cute little pink TV.  I think I would be too claustrophobic to sleep up there.

And, as you can see from the picutres, there is a front porch with chairs.  Not shown are triangular shaped trays atop the railing for coffee cups and drinks of any kind.  Sitting out there in the morning or evening with something liquid is very delightful, just watching the ocean, the extreme beachwear fashions, the Marines from nearby doing there morning and evening jogs, rented wheeled conveyances going up and down the strand.

The bathroom is a minus.......although the shower is good size.  But, you almost have to open the door to turn around.  But, hey, it's a vacation.............enjoy what you got.

Wait until next year!

Larryj

I might have to see if I can get old Jimmy to go vacation at these cabins to watch the Marines, I mean ocean.

larryJ

I am getting used to the new school year schedule for granddaughter #1.  Last year, I used to go to her house and get her ready and take her to school.  This year, my daughter drops her off at my house and she eats breakfast and then I take her to school.  The trip to her school takes about 15 minutes. 

The amazing observation is the conversations that take place on the way.  This morning she asked if the high school kids she sees walking to school call their mommies to pick them up.  I told her some walk and the older ones who have cars can drive themselves.  Q:  Did my mommy drive to school?  A:  Yes, she did.  Q:  What kind of car did she have?  A: Well, her first car was a Ford, and then she got a Toyota and now she has the car she drives now.  Q:  What about daddy?  A:  Well, when I first met your dad, he was driving a pickup.  She excitingly says, "Oh, I remember that truck.  It always smelled like daddy's farts.  Daddy used to always fart in that truck.  Moving on.............Q:  Why is it getting colder in the morning?  A:  Well, the season is changing from summertime to wintertime.  Q:  How does that happen?  A:  Well, the earth tilts back and forth during the year so that the sun is stronger here in the summertime and weaker in the wintertime and that is why it is darker in the morning during the wintertime.  Moving on.............
I mention to her about going to Uncle Daniel's house to attend a meeting of the American Legion and having a big blowout on the way home and just when we got to the school, I showed her a picture on my phone of the totally shredded tire.  Response.............
AWESOME!  All this in 15 minutes.

She really amazes me with her observations of her world around her. 

Larryj

larryJ

Today, we are receiving our first "serious" rain since June.  We have had some low pressure areas go through this summer with a slight drizzle, but not any "measurable rain" as the weatherman says.  This storm is a bit early and a bit more rain than normal.  Nothing really bad, just a good soaking rain.  

The observation:  Drivers in SoCal allow the sunshine and the great weather after June to addle their brains and make them forget how to drive when the street gets wet.  The dirt and the oil from millions of cars build up on the streets and the first rain makes them extremely slick.  After one or two heavy rains, the streets are not so bad.  So, during the first big storm, drivers still charge ahead full speed, forgetting that the roads are really slick.  They plow into puddles with the enthusiasm of a child with new rain boots jumping up and down in a mud puddle.  Then they are surprised when they lose control and hit something or someone.  When I first moved to California, I would not drive on the freeways in the rain........it was just too scary for me.  And I had learned to drive in the mountains of Wyoming and the flat lands of Colorado and, of course, on the back roads of Elk County!  My normal trip to take #1 to school takes about 15 minutes.  This morning, kids who would normally walk to school, have their parents take them, doubling or tripling the traffic around schools.  Compounding this was an accident on a side street next to the high school requiring two fire engines, a paramedic truck and an ambulance, sufficiently blocking the whole street.  This street is used a lot to drop off high school kids.  My trip took 25 minutes.  Aware of all this, I had left a little early so we made it to school on time.  

In mentioning living in Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and Kansas, I learned and remember "Indian Summers."  I have often (probably Ad Nauseum) told my family that after the first cold storm and rain there is a period of "Indian Summer" when it warms up and is nice and beautiful just like SoCal is supposed to be.  Then the winter storms will come in November and last until May.  They think I am a little loony when I say that, or maybe loonier, but it always happens.  Watch and see.

Larryj

larryJ

Addendum to last message............On today's afternoon news, the weatherman pointed out that we had a very nice day today and more of the same tomorrow with temps in the high 70's or low 80's.  But watch out for next Wednesday and Thursday as the temps will hit the mid 90's for a few days, even at the beach. 

Indian summer.......

Larryj

Diane Amberg

You define Indian summer differently. Ours isn't until we have a heavy frost and then it warms up again.

larryJ

What is a "frost"?  I'll have to look that word up.  Oh wait, I remember, a frost is when things freeze.  We don't get that here, much, if ever. :laugh: :laugh:

Larryj

Diane Amberg

Now you do know what frost is. It's that stuff that shows up on the outside of the frozen food boxes. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk